FSX discs will not load on new computer

doering1

I am trying to load my original discs onto my new computer. It just seems to be hanging and taking forever.

Thinking of downloading from STEAM. Is it the same program as the original discs (deluxe edition) when downloading from STEAM?

"Is it the same program as the original discs (deluxe"

No.

The Steam version is Acceleration.

Depending on what add-ons you want to use, there are some which don't work yet.

If you thought your disk install was too slow, how about downloading two CDs worth of data...

By being too impatient with your CD reader, and stopping the install before it's finished, some people run into trouble ever getting the CDs to install. It will though if you wait.

As long as your disk access light is on, the installation is still going.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Hi doer,

The Steam version is essentially the same as the disc version. There are currently a few problems with installing addons that will likely be soon corrected. Both versions can co-exist. Your current disc problems are most likely related to some other disc creation software you have installed. The problem is with the way the FSX data is encoded on the discs. In a current thread on this forum that's entitled "1628 Installshield..." I describe my solution to the disc problem. Or if you don't mind listening to your DVD drive making grinding noises and waiting for an hour or so it may eventually load.

Jim F.

Hi doer,

The Steam version is essentially the same as the disc version. There are currently a few problems with installing addons that will likely be soon corrected. Both versions can co-exist. Your current disc problems are most likely related to some other disc creation software you have installed. The problem is with the way the FSX data is encoded on the discs. In a current thread on this forum that's entitled "1628 Installshield..." I describe my solution to the disc problem. Or if you don't mind listening to your DVD drive making grinding noises and waiting for an hour or so it may eventually load.

Jim F.

If I understand correctly you copied both discs into 1 folder and then run setup from there?

It sounds like your DVD (not CD, I hope) optical drive is not working. Put in a music disc and see it that will play the music on Windows Media Player. If it don't then you have to look at your Device Manager and look at properties and see if it says 'This Device is Working..'. If it is not then you need to look into your mother board chip set drivers (you did go to MB site and get the latest chip set drivers, I hope, because a 'New' computer had 3 yr old chip set drivers installed which could explain your optical drive being 'hung up and taking forever'). If you did download and install the LATEST chip set drivers for your MB then it could be a loose cable.

To be able to copy the DVD to your hard drive and then run FSX setup , and then FSX Acceleration, from there requires that your optical drive be working and it sounds like it is not.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi doer,

Yes. Initially I copied the discs to individual folders but it hung up at the point where the second disc would normally be read from. It is important to copy the Discs in Safe (F8) mode. I discovered what the problem was after initially loading FSX and the SDK without any problems but then decided to install the SDK to another location after installing some Cyberlink video software. My drive started making grinding noises. I stumbled onto something on the MS site about the way that the FSX data is encoded conflicting with various video software packages. Their recommendation was to temporarily remove the software that was causing the conflict but, being lazy, I tried safe mode and it worked.

Jim F.

It sounds like your DVD (not CD, I hope) optical drive is not working. Put in a music disc and see it that will play the music on Windows Media Player. If it don't then you have to look at your Device Manager and look at properties and see if it says 'This Device is Working..'. If it is not then you need to look into your mother board chip set drivers (you did go to MB site and get the latest chip set drivers, I hope, because a 'New' computer had 3 yr old chip set drivers installed which could explain your optical drive being 'hung up and taking forever'). If you did download and install the LATEST chip set drivers for your MB then it could be a loose cable.

To be able to copy the DVD to your hard drive and then run FSX setup , and then FSX Acceleration, from there requires that your optical drive be working and it sounds like it is not.

Chuck B

Napamule

Yes, playing music OK!

Driver date installed is 21/06/2006 but it is for WIN 7 which I have.

Going to try and copy the discs to the HD!

Disregard what I said. I thought you had an issue with win installer. I realise now that was someone else! (user Fifato)

Sorry about this!

>Deleted

>Deleted

What jandjfrench did:

he created an empty folder on the harddisk.

copied the files from both the FSX DeLuxe DVD's to that folder.

Then opened that folder and double-clicked the installer .exe file. (setup.exe is the file name I think.)

-That helps if the error is because of a bad or slow DVD drive.

I see jandjfrenc was quick. i'll leave it in. sometimes a different way of saying things helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually, the Windows install disk has a REPAIR mode similar to the one in FSX. You will not lose your installed programs or user files, but of course it's important to back up everything you care about first! You will have to go through the auto-updates dance afterwards because Windows will restore it's OS files from the disk and you'll be back to core vulnerabilities. This might include IE, but not sure. I don't use IE anyway so never paid that much attention. I HAVE used the Windows repair though so know it works, both for myself and customers.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Hi doer,

Yes. Initially I copied the discs to individual folders but it hung up at the point where the second disc would normally be read from. It is important to copy the Discs in Safe (F8) mode. I discovered what the problem was after initially loading FSX and the SDK without any problems but then decided to install the SDK to another location after installing some Cyberlink video software. My drive started making grinding noises. I stumbled onto something on the MS site about the way that the FSX data is encoded conflicting with various video software packages. Their recommendation was to temporarily remove the software that was causing the conflict but, being lazy, I tried safe mode and it worked.

Jim F.

Brilliant! Thank you! Copied both disks over to the hard drive in one folder. Did this in normal windows mode. I would say it probably took close to 3 hours to get both discs copied over from the DVD/CD drive. I checked to make sure all the files were there, took a deep breath and hit the setup icon. Worked flawless and the program was installed in less than 5 minutes on the new rig. There is obviously different ways the data is coded and read by the new PC's as these discs are several years old now. I did have to re-new my activation code via the phone. Lots of numbers to enter, but again it was done in a couple of minutes.

Now onto the service packs and re-installing my add-ons.

I strongly suggest the DVD disk installer wasn't hung, just your drive is very slow.

If it took you three hours to copy the files manually to disk, it would have probably taken the same amount of time for the installer to do the same, so nothing gained.

Sometimes problems with optical drives can be solved by burning updated firmware onto them.

-Pv-

Hi pv,

As the problem has been resolved I would normally just let this go but I've seen so many posts regarding FSX installation problems I will address it further. This is the link that I stumbled on when having a problem re-installing the SDK to a different location:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932849/en-us

It explains the conflicts with the FSX disc encoding and other disc creation software. It recommends removing the software that's causing the problem but I tried Safe mode and had no problem copying. If you have no software that's conflicting you have no way of verifying the usefulness of my suggestion but if you do I recommend trying it.

Right now, if I put FSX Disc 1 in my drive and simply select the option to view the files the files are shown correctly but the drive doesn't stop chattering. This is a pretty good indication of some type of problem.

Jim F.

Just to echo:

I have (had) the same issue with my Burning Software (cyberl power2go 8). When a disk is inserted, it starts scanning all files, so it can create a disk Image quickly later if you want.

Unfortunately, that means the disk just keeps chattering for hours. Once you can finally open the main folder on the disk, it starts again!

I think a windows task is at that time doing almost the same thing, and the two of them is what's causing a conflict. In win7 a burning utility is built in, no additional software is required to burn a simple data disk. It can sometimes try to "prepare files for burning" as soon as a disk is inserted.

But I'm guessing a bit, not certain of the cause.)

I found an easy fix for it. I noticed there were four parts to the burning software, that were set as startup programs. I disabled three of them. With names such as "xxx virtual drive" and "xxx CLMLserver .....". Only the main program I did not disable. I did NOT remove any of them, mind. (removing could cause a problem). I just disabled them.

No problems since. I can drop in a fsx disk, and it spins up in 'seconds'.

(Before that moment I thought the pc I built had some serious hardware issues, after that, bliss!).

Thanks again jandjfrench:), you pointed me to the solution back then.

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived