1628 installshield error, nothing helps (win 8.1 64)

Fifato

Hello,

So after few months I decided to start playing FSX again, and I had a lot of addons in the game and I decided to unninstall them and start with the base game. So I unninstalled everything including FSX itself.

Then I inserted the disc (I have the gold edition) and wanted to install it. But the installshield game me error 1628 - Cannot finish instalation.

I tried everything I found on the internet, I deleted everything that was FSX related following the fsx reinstall guide. As that wasn´t working, I tried other things like running it in compatibility mode etc.

Then I cleaned my registry files, I manually checked if there is anything from fsx.

I also tried using a new account, didnt help.

I don´t even remeber what all I tried... deleting the install shield files in ProgramFiles\Common Files, I ran everything as administrator.

Nothing I found helped me, its still the same error.

I have windows 8.1, 64bit. I alerady had FSX instaleld as I said and it was working, but that was win8.0, but I dont think thats the problem.

When I was unninstalling FSX, there was only the main Microsoft Flight Simulator X, not Acceleration or anything, but I thought it should be there? So the possible cause is that its not unninstalled all yet, even though I deleted everything and checked registry.

So I looked into the event viewer, this is what I found:

Faulting application name: IDriver.exe, version: 11.0.0.28844, time stamp: 0x4250d396

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x04b368a0

Faulting process id: 0x106c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d038c680480812

Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriver.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: c98d72a1-a4b9-11e4-804a-94de807acd6c

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

error.png

So I enabled that account, logged in and tryed it. Didnt help, but if I set compatibility to Windows Vista SP3 it now also showed 2 "application stopped working" errors, and in description of that I found this:

Faulting application name: BEX

Application name: IDriver.exe

Application version: 11.0.0.28844

Application time stamp: 4250d396

Faulting module name: StackHash_573d

Faulting module version: 0.0.0.0

Faulting module time stamp: 00000000

Fault offset: PCH_0A_FROM_ntdll+0x0003CEEC

Code of exception: c0000005

Exception data: 00000008

OS version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48

National ID: 1029

Other informations 1: 573d

Other informations 2: 573d541a5bc214dc9ab3cf04ab00ca34

Other Informations 3: ed53

Other informations 4: ed53acdfb2da31f5000c57b274b8e674

I had to translate this from Czech language so it may be different from the original english version.

What you did is you didn't uninstall Acceleration FIRST. Restart computer. Then uninstall FSX. Restart computer.

Clean out files in C: drive.

Re-install Deluxe FSX. Restart computer. (This takes care of the registry entries-VITAL). Start FSX and fly around for 1 minute. Restart computer.

Re-install Acceleration. Restart computer. Start FSX and fly around for 1 minute. Quit FSX. Restart computer.

Start FSX and go set up flight, controllers, options, etc. Save a Default Flight (C-172 at whatever airport you prefer, setting time, weather, etc before you save 'Default' flight).

Exit FSX.

Restart FSX and fly the Default flight. Done.

Bring on the addons (one by one, of course).

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: And please do not install FSX under 'Program Files' folder. Install to C:FSX or D:FSX (ie: make a folder called 'FSX' and drop FSX there). Will save you a lot of headaches with permissions, etc.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

"...I also heard that you have to uninstall any addon ..."

If you uninstall FS, it removes the license. If you delete the directories, planes, scenery and everything else is gone too.

The only possible issue is stuff which was installed using an installer program rather than files you copied in or edited yourself.

If the installer when run in uninstall mode cannot find the files it should be removing, the question is whether the installer stops when it cannot find the files or whether it keeps going and removes any registry entries it also created (if any) which any decent installer will do.

Products which do not have licenses may not write to the registry. The ability of an uninstaller to clean up after itself if some of its conditions are not met is dependent on the skill of the installer programmer.

In short, it's impossible to make a blanket statement that all or any add-ons would prevent a clean removal and re-install of FSX.

Most installers know how to deal with pieces of themselves discovered at install time so a re-installation could be made possible.

I don't think it's safe to say with certainty that "installed" add-ons by nature always or even could prevent a clean re-install of FSX. Certainly, the FSX installer knows nothing about any add-ons. Manual add-ons are completely safe from any complications concerning registry entries which FSX will ignore anyway.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

As I said, I was only able to unninstall FSX, not Acceleration or anything, it wasn´t there for some reason.

Of course I unninstalled addons first, then FSX.

I used IObit unninstaller to unnisntall. Its basically the same, it unninstalls like Programs and Features as you said, but after unnisntalling it also scans for registry files that may not be deleted.

So napamule2, I am in a dead end. I can´t unninstall anything anymore, I have nothing to delete but I can´t even start reinstalling.

Ms support for fsx has ended. If they were helping they were trying to fix your win8. Check to see if your windows installer is really damaged. Try installing another program. If that fails, you have a much bigger problem, one of a broken installer.

So not a fsx problem then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the history I have gathered so far from the earlier posts:

"...and start with the base game. So I unninstalled everything including FSX itself..."

"...gold edition) and wanted to install it. But the installshield game me error 1628"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-gaming/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-windows-8-1628-failed/a1e763d3-da6b-4270-a1f0-7ac158f7378c

---------------------------------------------------------

You will find a mountain of links about error....

The double-secret-probation Administrator account.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/417489-error-1628-when-installing-fsx-sdk-solved/

---------------------------------------------------------

"I tried everything I found on the internet,"

"like running it in compatibility mode etc"

"Then I cleaned my registry files"

"I don´t even remeber what all I tried... deleting the install shield files in ProgramFiles\Common Files"

"had FSX instaleld as I said and it was working, but that was win8.0"

"When I was unninstalling FSX, there was only the main Microsoft Flight Simulator X, not Acceleration or anything"

"So I looked into the event viewer, this is what I found:

Faulting application name: IDriver.exe, version: 11.0.0.28844, time stamp: 0x4250d396

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x04b368a0

Faulting process id: 0x106c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d038c680480812

Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriver.exe"

"As I said, I was only able to unninstall FSX, not Acceleration or anything, it wasn´t there"

"I used IObit unninstaller to unnisntall. Its basically the same, it unninstalls like Programs and Features as you said"

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,10027.msg59454.html?PHPSESSID=2guqu55ab7pudr619erj31s4e4#msg59454

"I was able to use Windows System Restore and get everything back to working order."

After running the uninstaller, the "Microsoft Fight Simulator X" was gone from the Control Panel Program Files right?

The Bean Provided a link to a "fix it for me" button. I didn't see any messages from you that you clicked this button, only that you tried "everything" on the Internet.

"As I said, I was only able to unninstall FSX, not Acceleration or anything, it wasn´t there for some reason.

Of course I unninstalled addons first, then FSX."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-on-windows-81/9b571ca2-110b-40eb-a32a-2eaa8a24ed66

"...I had to translate this from Czech language..."

Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriver.exe

The IO program might have unregistered IDriver which is Install Shield which is why nothing installs or uninstalls any more on your computer:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-on-windows-81/9b571ca2-110b-40eb-a32a-2eaa8a24ed66

Others reading this, I hope you get the message. It's better to find ways of repairing FS if you intend to keep using it than to uninstall or re-install.

Nearly all the alternatives to uninstalling are a LOT less painful than this.

-Pv-

Tags: FSX uninstall reinstall error 1628 IObit IDriver.exe installshield registry

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I alerady tried that "fix it for me" thingy but it says it can´t run on my operating system.

So if it´s normal I only had one FSX in control panel, then it means its unninstalled correctly, maybe...

I made a restore point before unninstalling anything, and after I tried many solutions I used the restore option, but it didn´t restore exactly as I wanted it to. Files were back but FSX wasnt in installed programs.

I had win8.0, on this OS I installed fsx, working nicely. Then I upgraded to win8.1, still installed and working (!I can´t actually be sure, cause I dont remeber if I really ran FSX after the upgrade, it is pretty recent but I believe I did, also why should it stopped working just by upgarding to 8.1...) then I unnisntalled and I am not able to reinstall anymore.

I did, after this wasn´t working I started doing other fixes.

I was checking what IObit wants to delete from registry and I found nothing suspicious.

I start to be kinda nervous now... so I also thought about this... windows reinstall should fix it right? But that´s not a good idea, so I will try downloading cracked version of FSX (I have bought it so I dont care) and look if that helps.

Thanks for all your responses guys!

"restore option, but it didn´t restore exactly as I wanted it to. Files were back but FSX wasnt in installed programs."

This is the point at which you run the FSX installer in repair mode and live with whatever it is you didn't like about the restore.

"so I also thought about this... windows reinstall should fix it right? But that´s not a good idea, so I will try downloading cracked version of FSX"

Sigh...

You should also have the option of restoring to pre-8.1

" I dont remeber if I really ran FSX after the upgrade"

Guessing stuff like this leads to mistakes in your decisions.

-Pv-

Hi Fi,

I'm very surprised that installing in safe mode didn't work. 1628 is kind of a generic install error usually due to a conflict with another file or a problem accessing a file. Safe mode usually prevents the conflict. I am curious as to whether a 1628 error was reported during the attempt to install; or what type of problem did arise.

Jim F.

From what I understand, he doesn't know if FS worked after upgrading to win8.1 but he does know it worked on win8.0.

"So after few months I decided to start playing FSX again"

Looks like he wanted to re-install to get rid of all his add-ons.

""...and start with the base game. So I unninstalled everything including FSX itself..."

"...gold edition) and wanted to install it. But the installshield game me error 1628"

Hello Fifato,

I had this problem not too long ago, if you type in Google or YouTube How to fix FSX 1628 error, the first video that comes up by Flight Sim Productions should fix your problems. Let me know what the result is when you try it.

Squatch

Hi Fi,

Glad to see that you haven't given up in disgust. I did come across this as something else you might try:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/

But even after this I suggest trying to install in safe mode. As a bit of background, there have been many posts regarding defective FSX discs. The discs are not defective but there is a problem with the way the data is encoded on the discs that conflicts with some video software which has been installed. Even with the conflict FSX may install but it takes a very long time and more often than not, fails at some point.

Jim F.

For some reason I cant run this MS Fix It application. This time it said I need .net framework 2.0 or newer, thats strange. I have .net framework 4.5.1 (or 4.5.2, but I can be sure I have higher than 4.0 and I can also confirm its working)

And as you said about FSX discs, should i try copying the files to my PC, make an .iso file, mount it and try to install?

Hi Fi,

I don't know how to address the .net framework problem. As far as copying the FSX files to a drive I have done that. I copied the contents of both discs to a common folder. I initially copied the contents to individual folders but couldn't continue when the files from disc 2 needed to be accessed. No problems at all when all files in common folder. I did copy the files in Safe mode.

Jim F.

Hi Fi,

I have the contents of both FSX discs in this common folder:

Discs.JPG

The folder is named Deluxe1 as I originally had a separate folder for each disk. I have Acceleration in another folder. The last time I installed I just double clicked Setup.exe and had no problems.

Don't forget:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6523 as pv mentioned. (I'm assuming 64 bit)

Jim F.

Archived