advice for downloading and installing FSX on Steam

kelopa

I"ve got fsx up and running on my c: drive...saw a few posts that it's better to uninstall (gulp) fsx before downloading and installing fsx Steam edition. My heart is in my throat just thinking about it! If I do this, will I have to go back in and install all the scenery and addons?? Will I lose all the settings also?? And is it worth it to do all that?? How about GoFlight systems....will they all work with the new software? I'm running Win 7 premium, have 13 GoFight systems, and a couple states from MegaScenery installed.

Thank you, in advance for your help.

Merril

"saw a few posts that it's better to uninstall (gulp) fsx before downloading and installing fsx Steam edition"

Total unequivocal hogwash. Your instinct is correct. Looks like there is more malice running around on the FS forums than I thought.

Install steam to another location (preferably not in Program Files) and you'll be a happy camper.

Your FS boxed settings will be untouched. You will not have to uninstall anything.

As far as ANY add-ons you'll be adding to steam, consult the web site for the product to find out about compatibility.

The only thing I would question is since you have a boxed FSX working with add-ons, the necessity of adding another FS version which at this time has a slightly lower compatibility for add-ons does not benefit you. Eventually, the steam will catch up or surpass the boxed version, so you might put that off for a while unless you just HAVE to spend some money on something.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I've no desire to get it myself. I already have the original, and all my addons work, so why mess with a good thing?

Sooo, how does that help with installing FSX-Se?

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

Sooo, how does that help with installing FSX-Se?

It doesn't. But the OP said he already had FSX installed, so I was merely pointing out there really is no need for it, and any headaches that may ensue.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

' The one is both the same as the other!'

For now they are much the same.

That will not continue forever. An investment in code which is being written and optimized over time is a better investment than the frozen code in the boxed original FSX.

There is no need for anyone to rush out and get the Steam if you already have a working FSX. Everyone knows that by now.

Some day, everyone will have a "live" supported Flight Simulator version of one kind or another, whether it's Steam or P3D or another licensed company.

It's just a matter of when you decide to get on board. For many people, it's when they could buy it for $2. Now they get upgrades for free while the rest of us sit on an 8 year old unsupported game which was never coded to run on Win7, Win8, 9, 10...

The original post and the title were a little disconnected:

"advice for downloading and installing FSX on Steam"

He wasn't really asking for help installing the Steam, but if he should uninstall FSX first or if he can have both. Now that's settled. Seems he decided he's not as interested in installing it at this time.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Nothing better than coming back to FSX with the Steam Edition.... every week there are amazing new aircraft and scenery coming out for it, and you don't even have to pay for them(a second time).

No but seriously once all the stuff is converted you are seriously wasting your time by not installing the "service pack". Just the aggressive memory cleanup is worth it. Causes some unexpected bugs, but it's better than OOM.

Install steam to another location (preferably not in Program Files) and you'll be a happy camper.

-Pv-

By install steam to another location do you mean "Steam" or "FSX Steam" ? I have Steam located in C:\Program Files (86)\Steam. If I try and install FSX Steam it insists on installing it in that location. How do I get it to install to a new folder called "FSX Steam"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

I have not installed the program. Most installers have an option or custom button where you can set the path.

" insists on installing it in that location."

My "insists" I assume you mean that's the default path. Most installers let you change the path.

Apparently it is possible since the person in message three in this thread did it:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?286869-advice-for-downloading-and-installing-FSX-on-Steam&p=1902404#post1902404

-Pv-

I have not installed the program. Most installers have an option or custom button where you can set the path.

" insists on installing it in that location."

My "insists" I assume you mean that's the default path. Most installers let you change the path.

Apparently it is possible since the person in message three in this thread did it:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?286869-advice-for-downloading-and-installing-FSX-on-Steam&p=1902404#post1902404

-Pv-

If you have "Steam" already installed. I tried installing FSX Steam edition to another folder on C drive but the installer for FSX Steam insists that a folder for steam already exits. I tried changing the path but it won't let me.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

I think there is a way to install FSX-SE outside of the Steam folder, however it might be easier to just uninstall Steam and reinstall it outside of Program Files.

I had no problems installing Steam to C:\Steam.

And now my FSX-SE is outside of Program Files.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

By install steam to another location do you mean "Steam" or "FSX Steam" ? I have Steam located in C:\Program Files (86)\Steam. If I try and install FSX Steam it insists on installing it in that location. How do I get it to install to a new folder called "FSX Steam"

You need to setup another Steam Library location, and then install FSX Steam edition to the new library. Look under the Steam settings for downloads.

however it might be easier to just uninstall Steam and reinstall it outside of Program Files.

I had no problems installing Steam to C:\Steam.

And now my FSX-SE is outside of Program Files.

peace,

the Bean

That's why I asked that in my first post in this thread. Many thanks for suggesting it. :)

Wherever you install Steam, FSX:SE will always install in a very deeply nested sub-folder of the Steam library.

..\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Wherever you install Steam, FSX:SE will always install in a very deeply nested sub-folder of the Steam library.

..\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

I have Steam installed in C:\Program Files\Steam and my FSX: SE installed in C:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\FSX . Matter of fact all my steam games are in my C:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common folder.

I have Steam installed in C:\Program Files\Steam and my FSX: SE installed in C:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\FSX . Matter of fact all my steam games are in my C:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common folder.

OK, care to share with the rest of the class exactly how you did that?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

As I was saying above, you can set multiple Steam Library folders on your PC. Go to the Steam Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders. From there you can add additional library folders that you can then choose from when installing a game.

That's not my point. Unlike FSX:MS (disk edition) that can be installed simply as:

x:\FSX

the FSX:SE will always be pathed into

..\SteamApps\common\FSX 

It all depends on either where you chose to install the Steam Application, or where you've chosen to put your ..\SteamLibrary.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived