Need some direction regarding FSUIPC and PMDG

dspaulding

I'm experiencing a phenomenon that I can't seem to solve nor don't know which direction to seek support.

I've noticed that when my physical throttle is idle both PMDG sim (737/777) throttles hover or sit roughly an inch to 2 inches above idle. I've tried to figure out the calibration and can not get this to work properly. I'm not sure if it's related but I use FSUIPC to calibrate/assign a separate axis for reverse thrust but I can get it to engage without the throttles in the sim at idle. So therefore I roll off the end of the runway (Southwest style ;-) )because I'm fighting to get the throttles to close to get the reversers out.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Click to clear the throttle cal in FSUIPC, Make sure your throttle is fully calibrated in FSX and your controller software. Do not apply calibration in FSUIPC until your throttle is fully idle and confirm that in FSUIPC by looking at the readings before you apply any changes.

Using FSUIPC to do throttle tricks like reversers and setting up alternative curves and such can be a little tricky. IF you fly more than one plane, it's a good idea to create plane-specific settings.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Thanks for the reply. I did a complete recal. Meaning calibrated using CH software, and checked the FSX calibrations. Still did the same thing. I then deleted the axis assignments to FSX and then assigned them directly to FSUIPC. Now it seems it does it every once in a while. When it does not go completely to idle, a simple F1 press does the trick and keeps the throttle at idle. However, still can not get reverse to deploy on command during landing roll (all three struts compressed or WOWs). It seems to work while taxiing. The reversers open with the slightest pull back on the axis, and stows when fully forward. I'm wondering if there is code within PMDG that is preventing this to work?

"However, still can not get reverse to deploy on command during landing roll (all three struts compressed or WOWs). It seems to work while taxiing."

This is indeed odd. You need the reversers to slow your landing, not to taxi.

What happens when you removed all reverser mapping to the throttle(s). Can you reverse normally using F2? If you can, then your problem is a mapping or a conflict, not the model. Another possibility is something is holding your throttle at idle on landing roll despite the mapping. Make your throttle visible during landing and watch to see if the visual throttle moves down when your controller pulls back. Test that without the mapping by using F2 also.

If for some reason FS thinks your wheels are not really in contact until you slow down enough, that might cause the problem, but that would be a pretty severe error.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

For what it's worth, I've never liked the reverser feature tied to the throttle detent. No matter how hard I try to calibrate FSUIPC, most throttles are just too sensitive in that area and breathing causes the sensitivity to trip. What I prefer on the better sticks is to pull the throttle back to idle stop like a real plane, then use a rocker, hat or other button on the stick to activate F2 reverse and F3 back to idle. Easy to control.

-Pv-

I was testing it out during taxi to see if it would function.

What I'm attempting to do is not use the combined throttle detent and reverse on the same axis. They are separate, one axis for throttle, one axis for reverse. I read the manual for FSUIPC and it mentions the MaxThrottleForReverse=0 line in the .ini file. I just checked that and it says the value is 256 which makes since because that's the delta value, which is currently at the moment. Maybe I should manually bump that up a bit and see if that alleviates this problem?

"not use the combined throttle detent and reverse on the same axis. They are separate, one axis for throttle, one axis for reverse."

Since you have split throttles, and you are SURE only one of them is sending throttle control to FS, I suppose what you are trying to do might work.

Messing with the max reverse value won't help you. If 256 is not enough (which is the standard controller max input range) nothing is. The range setting in the FSUIPC throttle reverse sensitivity should be all you need. Since you can get full power reverse when stopped, that proves your controller and FSUIPC are sending enough signal.

If you want to try a Skype chat, send me a private.

-Pv-

I was brain dead tired when I wrote the last, but thinking again, I don't see how you can have have two controller throttle levers, one sending idle to full and the other only sending reverse commands without them being in conflict with one another. One is holding the throttles idle (FS will not permit reverse without first being idle) and the other sending reverse. Maybe your null zone is not large enough, but it only takes the slightest twitch for the idle lever to over-ride the reverse lever and prevent it, or the reverse lever to send a conflict to the full range lever. Would be better for one controller lever to send both full range and reverse signals through FSUIPC. That way there is no possibility of conflicting signals.

-Pv-

I did more tweaking with the axes. I added a bigger null zone for the top end of reverse so that way there isn't a conflict of reverse trying to deploy, but I think the MaxThrottleForReverse line in the .ini file prevents such things from occurring (according to manual one of the last few pages can't look it up now), but I did it anyways just for insurances. I also increased the value of MaxThrottleForReverse to 500 which is above the default value. Just tested the results and no joy. After land it still doesn't want to play nice. Just before touch down I press F1 for insurance as well to make sure I'm at idle even though throttle is physically at idle. I did notice that while taxiing the throttle doesn't immediately go to idle when commanded to. It lags about a good 2 seconds until it comes to the stops. Still waiting on PMDG for an answer will post if they solve it.

I did not read your results from the test without FSUIPC mapping I requested above:

1) What happens when on the runway, All throttle controllers idle and null, you advance to full throttle using ONLY the keyboard F4? Set flaps to none to help prevent take off.

Do you get Normal 100% throttle?

2) Using the above and during take off roll, do an abort around 120 knots by PRESSING F1.

Does the throttle return to normal null idle?

3) While performing the abort above around 120 knots, PRESS and HOLD F2.

Does the throttle stack on the screen drop below the idle position, and the reversers deploy?

4) When nearing 20 knots taxi speed, PRESS and HOLD F3, then F1 near idle.

Do the throttle stack and the reversers slowly and evenly return to idle?

What happens when you do this same test using another default FS jet? This will narrow down if the problem is specific to the model.

If the above is all correct, then the problem is not the model, but your controller and/or mapping. If the problem is specific to the model only using the keyboard with no FSUIPC mapping, then you need to pursue the model support. If this problem happens to default jets, then you likely have a controller problem, FSUIPC mapping or FS internal mapping problem.

"I did notice that while taxiing the throttle doesn't immediately go to idle when commanded to. It lags about a good 2 seconds until it comes to the stops."

This may be on purpose to prevent surges during the reverse transition.

-Pv-

PMDG responded below:

The CH device potentiometers are well known to have issues like this. If the drivers have any option for setting deadzones at the upper and lower ranges of the throttle's motion, that will probably fix it.

A less elegant workaround is to hold the F1 key for a second after you land, that should bring the sim throttles fully to idle, which will allow reverse to be engaged.

-PMDG

I did apply dead zones as recommended. Still having issues getting reverse to deploy after landing. I did finally test with a different aircraft, in particular the default Lear 45. Absolutely flawless operation and deployment after landing. Me thinks there is coding preventing the reversers to work right.

Archived