Best way to advance as a beginner?

theskunk

I just got back into FSX over the past few weeks and have gotten the bug for it...I'm starting to learn now that I am just beginning to scratch the surface of what's available...

So far I've been using the 172 glass cockpit from FSX and learning all of the features.

Some time ago I went through the initial FSX lessons for private pilot (though I still can't get past the steep turns in the checkride!) and feel pretty comfortable with the basics of flight. I can taxi, take off, climb, level off, descend (reasonably) and land. At this point I can fly a pretty accurate course, manage the autopilot, follow ATC, and set up a reasonable ILS approach.

I'm a little overwhelmed at how I progress from here...seems like a lot of paths to take-

Do I focus on continuing through all of the FSX lessons primarily?

Do I buy a book, or use online training schools/spend my hours on youtube watching tutorials?

Do I focus on lots of free flights without any flight plan/ATC and practice basics (perfecting climbs, leveling off, descents, etc.)?

Do I focus on perfecting navigation? I've setup a VATSIM account which I think I would enjoy but I think I'm still a little too green to start.

I just downloaded a weather addon which I use as well.

Is it worth it to buy an addon Cessna like A2A at this point?

Should I invest in addon scenery (I fly mostly around New Jersey).

Thanks for your opinions...

Hello, and Welcome!

I'm sure others will chime in here as well, but personally, I'd suggest to keep doing as you are right now. Make some Free Flights from place to place on paper by using one of the online Flight Planners like SkyVector to chart your Course...

www.skyvector.com

You don't necessarily need ATC for this; just pretend you're flying to an uncontrolled airport. Then, you'll be doing just like the thousands of Pilots out there, plying the skies!

Have Fun!

Alan 201011231641DEU.gif

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Archived