Brighter Screen?

Rupert

Hi,

I admit I don't have nearly as many hours with P3D as FSX. However every time I use P3D I'm surprised how dark all the scenery is. I was just at KSDF with my time and season set to 12:00 in Summer and the sky especially still looks much darker than what I consider normal.

My displays are plenty bright while using every other program on my computer including FSX. But as soon as I call a flight up on P3D the displays are much darker. It's similar to using a high contrast filter on a SLR camera. Or Glacier glasses style sunglasses. Is this normal? I agree the contrast is great. How can I make the normal day sky not look like the dark high contrast sky when we're about to have a thunderstorm?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The quickest way that I know of is to turn off HDR in the lighting section - this will make the lighting more like FSX. HDR increases the dynamic range (brightest to darkest) available, so moves the normal lighting a bit to the dark side. You could also try turning your monitor to a brighter setting, or using it in a darkened room.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks,

I turned HDR off. Then I increased the contrast & found a nice median between bright and contrast.

I still think FSX is more attractive for sight-seeing purposes. But P3D has other advantages too. So I'll probably still use both.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

You can also easily "tune" the HDR shader to reduce the transitional lag from 'outside' to the 'virtual cockpit' as well as increase the relative brightness of any/all views.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived