Lancaster museum sim project

WaddHC

Hello all,

I am associated with a small aviation museum based in the UK that is looking at the possibility of providing an audio and visual experience of flying in a Lancaster bomber during WW2.

The current idea is to get a laptop, speakers, projector, very large screen (we have up to 8 meters of wall space) controller and flight sim software.

No one in the museum has any in depth knowledge of flight sims or IT so I am seeking advice from experts (please be patient :-)).

The priority is the audio and visual experience and the authenticity, game play is not that important. We have a budget of £2000 - £3000 depending on what is achievable.

These are what I think our questions are -

1 - What laptop do we get?

Unable to use a PC in the area required.

2 - What Flight Sim software do we get?

Ideally it would provide WW2 era scenery and be a RAF Lancaster (RAF Waddington Sqns if possible) with the ability to portray bombing missions, perhaps even fighter attacks, flack, turret guns firing, bombs falling, etc. and have various crew positions. The ability to record footage to play on visits.

3 - What projector do we get?

Also any tips on max/optimum screen sizes and distance projector needs to be away from it, max angles, etc.

4 - What controller?

5 - What speakers?

Any other ideas or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Phew... That is quite a 'wish list!

You will be getting quite a few thoughts, recomendations & ideas here, some conflicting.

I suggest you try find a local virtual flying club close to where you are. I'm sure 'Google' is going to be your friend.

It could be a great idea to team up with the virtual club. Maybe ask in your local news papers? etc.

Your project is quite ambitious, & you will need some 'hands-on' help, that will be of greater benefit than trying to sift thru a lot of idea here.

We've been thru all of this at our club here in Cape Town.

Best of luck.

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Many thanks for taking the time to reply Robin, sounds like a good idea.

Hi

I am currently working with a Professional Documentary Film Maker in the UK to provide Flightsim video clips that will be used for illustrating interviews of WW2 flight crew with them doing the voice overs. This video film will be available later in 2015 after, as I understand, release at a yet to be opened Bomber Command Museum.

This professional saw some of my flightsim films on YouTube and made contact. I have just finished the 4th video clip for his use. The first Grandslam attack on the Bielefeld Viaduct. I cannot of course show what has been so far produced, Sorpe Dambuster Raid, Sink the Tirpitz from the Camera Lancaster, Wizerness V2 Site attack, but you might be interested in looking at a Dambuster film I produced some time ago. I also did a film for the Vera visit with some FS guess's as to what might be part of the visit.

My other recent films are shown under my name which the above film should give access too. Making video segments for voice overs is far more difficult than a stand alone version as seen on Youtube.

I apologize for not spelling Barnes Wallis's name for so many years. Unforgivable!

I suggest you have a steep learning curve to be able to present stuff yourself and therefore the alternative of a video player and projector would seem to be a simpler answer for doing what you want. You may of course have to consider copyright to do so.

Cheers from a long way Down-Under

I'm not a computer expert but will a laptop have the horsepower you need?

You could probably do more with an all-singing all-dancing desktop PC but you say you can't use one in the area, why is that?

I've got a spare PC you could have free if you change your mind, it cost me £800 about 5 years ago and its specs are not bad-

Intel core2 E8600@3.33Ghz

3 Gb RAM

Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX

WinXP Home

I'm in Plymouth England and it's yours free if you want to come collect it, drop me an email if you're interested- pooroldspike(at) aol (dotcom)

PS- I've got some aircraft photogalleries over at the Mission 4 Today forum, help yourself to anything you like, I'm Poor Old Spike over there..:)-

WW2 AIRCRAFT

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewforum&f=92

1920's/30's VINTAGE

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=16352

WW1 AIRCRAFT

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=16323

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/Lancaster_front_A_zpsu1zk6io2.jpg~original

Hi Scatterbrain, sorry for the delay in replying.

As you have pointed out and I have heard from others the gaming Laptop is probably a poor idea and we will be going for a PC based solution.

We are very lucky that we have the funds available to buy what I think we need for this particular project, many thanks for you very generous offer though.

Regards.

Archived