(!) Do you set Virtual Memory settings to "manual" and to what values? OOM final solu

alexzar14

OOM messages, nothing you can do about it and it doesn't matter what computer you have and what your settings are (unless your FSX display settings are very very low, which compromises the hobby!) Otherwise, often a long 8-hr flight ends with an OOM message, and although FSX does not necessarily crash (it may and it may not), the textures stop loading and you end up seeing a mess.

I found these 2 videos on youtube:

- they talk about unchecking "Automatically manage paging file size" and setting a value manually.

Is this normally done by you guys? What values do you set in the "Custom size" windows?

ps.

The other day I have read on avsim forum that no matter how good your computer is, you WILL get OOM on long flights and you must set Display settings to low only to prevent the OOM issues on long flights, which is ridiculous. Low display settings to prevent OOM issues even if your fps rate is 30...

Although they did not talk about setting virtual memory to manual values.

So its either low display settings or virtual memory value editing, which one?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I fly 14-15 hour flights on a regular basis, never have had an OOM, and my textures always continue to load and I never see a mess. Scenery sliders all full right. I have a 6+ year old computer.

2. Win 7 does an excellent job managing the page file so that is where mine is set.

3. Page file and virtual memory are not the same thing so not sure why we will be having this discussion.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Although it's confusing, Windows|Control Panel|System and Security|Advanced system settings|Advanced|Settings|Advanced|changed... actually changes the size of the Paging File - not Virtual Memory. The maximum size of Virtual Address Space is solely determined by the operating system and whether the application is either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Unless you have limited face on your space disk Microsoft recommends that you set the Paging File to "System managed size" because, as it states:

"If you are short of hard disk space, you might consider setting a smaller initial page file size. Monitor peak usage levels over time; if the peak is well below the current page file size, you can consider reducing the initial size to save disk space. On the other hand, if you’re not short of disk space, there’s nothing to be gained from doing this and you might occasionally overload your custom settings, thereby degrading the performance of your system."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff382717.aspx

If and when you set manual memory cache settings is a complex idea and consideration of it has more to do with your computer spec and capability than a matter of practice.

First off I'll say I do it but not because I have to or SHOULD but because it works for my set up and what I expect of the computer. 99.999% of typical computer users SHOULD NOT and take a huge risk doing so.

When you are setting the virtual memory, what you are really setting is how much of the hard disk is dedicated to providing additional MECHANICAL memory when your system memory runs low. Mechanical memory is VERY VERY SLOW and the Win disk cache is really an emergency get out of jail card.

OOM message in FSX is not the norm or expected but are a result of bad decisions by the user or their computer has every limited resources being pushed to its limits.

The preferred FSX environment which most experienced FSX users will agree on is FSX runs MUCH BETTER on 64 bit operating systems. One of the big reasons for this is the much larger physical memory area these systems can address. While there are still limitations on what FSX itself can use, having 64 bit and 4+ Gigs of physical memory doubles what's available to FSX over a 32 bit OS like WinXPx32 or a 32 bit version of a newer OS.

Bad software, add-ons, malware, viruses and more contribute to OOM messages regardless of OS and not the fault of FSX.

SO, assuming you have a 64 bit computer with 4+gigs of memory, should you change the size of your disk cache? My short answer is no. FS and your computer in general will run fine without experimental tampering and is designed to do so.

If you are on 32 bit OS with 2G? No solid answer on that one. On this kind of machine architecture you have SO many strikes against you when it comes to FSX, it's really debatable if anything can really effectively help in a way that the user will notice.

With all that said, here's why I do it and these are NOT reasons anyone SHOULD do it.

The # 1 reason is by default, the Windows Managed cache is DYNAMIC. This means it changes size depending on need. Changing size means different sectors on the disk get written to or freed up for the user's purposes. This contributes to fragmented cache which slows the HD over time. I prefer a fixed cache so the dedicated swap space does not change size. Changing size is a lot like changing the size of a file. The disk area the file once used up gets reserved for other files to use when needed which contributes to fragmenting. By preventing my cache from changing size, the OS cannot reallocate it to other files piecemeal tearing them up into little pieces.

#2: I have an SSD drive. In essence, SSD drives are more like physical memory than spinning hardware. By keeping the cache fixed, the SSD space is treated more like physical memory with a fixed limitation just like your installed physical memory has a hard limitation. This also helps make the estimates of drive space available more accurate because the OS is not changing the size of the cache or your available memory arbitrarily.

#3: Dedicated drive. By forcing my cache to the SSD drive, caching is not competing with my mechanical drives for seek head access and the access is very fast compared to mech drives.

Lastly, should anyone decide to do this, the rule of thumb MS suggests is allocate 1.5X your installed physical memory and make both lower and upper limit the same. This same limit prevents the cache from changing size.

Playing with this has a VERY HIGH probability your computer will have an unrecoverable crash. I cannot stress enough, if you have a 64 bit computer with reasonable installed memory, do not play with the virtual memory and if you have any doubt at all you should not even get close to attempting this.

Last, I repeat again, OOM messages are NOT caused by FS and not not a normal thing "everybody" gets. They are a result of poor choices by the user, other bad software on your computer which have memory leaks (chancy freeware and malware) or defective RAM or trying to run FS on hardware which should not be used for that purpose unless you are willing to make reasonable sacrifices. User application of best gaming techniques which have been well known and published for a very long time is the best strategy.

Somebody SHOOT me! I know this is going to start a discussion which never ends.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I hope the administrator pushes this off to the hardware forum because it ultimately has little to do with operating FSX itself.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

- they talk about unchecking "Automatically manage paging file size" and setting a value manually.

Is this normally done by you guys? What values do you set in the "Custom size" windows?

I set a fixed purely to keep Windows from creating a 40GB page file on my C: drive, which is a SSD. My system has 16GB installed and every so often Windows would decide to use 1.5 x the amount of RAM when creating a page file, even though it doesn't use more than a fraction. I don't do it because of OOMs or performance reasons. Before making the change I also monitored my system to see what it actually needed too. However, for most people I recommend just leaving it alone.

As for OOMs in the sim, the main causes are either corrupted add-ons or using settings that are too high for your system. Especially for those with 4GB of RAM, keeping settings down, such as the LOD, lowers the sim's demand for address space.

There is a little more info here about how FSX uses address space:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/wiki_index.php?title=OOM-Error

For those that want to know more about how the page file actually works, see the links here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?214335-Understanding-Windows-Memory-Limits

"What does the HIGHMEMFIX=1 do with the fsx.cfg?

Where in the fsxcfg do I install it?"

Read the FSX tweaking sticky at the top of this forum.

The printing press freed us from having to hand copy every book, publication and letter.

-Pv-

Ok guys thanks for a timely suggestion to leave alone the RAM settings, I went back to auto.

Some of the reasons given.... oh boy I don't know which could be the cause.

1. The computer is built with the best stuff out there just 1.5 months ago. It's a rocket computer really.

2. Addons... no freeware or doubtful payware, only kosher stuff by FTX, Aeosoft, FSDT, PMDG, those kinda developers.

3. Malware... I know for some time that antivirus programs don't pick those up. How do I deal with it? There are thousand anti-malware programs but they themselves are malware so I'm not going there on my own. Please advise.

But even if so, I doubt it is the cause.

As read on the mentioned forum (result of googling), they said this happens because FSX uses very little memory amount which leaks with time (hence long flights) and you end up with an OOM. Not exact terminology, this is the best I could rephrase it. So its like, by analogy, your car is 200-HP, but a certain mode of operation uses only 10-HP, so climbing a hill is possible for few minutes only, then the car can't handle it and starts descending backwards.

By the way, my drive is 512MB Samsung 850Pro, not much in capacity but these are crazily expensive, and it is 45% full already (FSGlobal 2010 terrain is itself like 15-20% of a drive!) If I had a bigger drive, say 1GB, would that help with OOM?

If going by what the guys on the other forum said, nothing would help except for very low settings within FSX because the problem is the FSX itself, nothing outside it matters.

According to some of you however, a bigger drive would allow for a bigger page file (if I understand correctly).

Eventually I will need a 1GB drive anyway because 500 isn't big enough for FSX.

I do have a second drive for my back up files, 1GB, but it is a conventional type.

Ok guys thanks for a timely suggestion to leave alone the RAM settings, I went back to auto.

1. The computer is built with the best stuff out there just 1.5 months ago. It's a rocket computer really.

2. Addons... no freeware or doubtful payware, only kosher stuff by FTX, Aeosoft, FSDT, PMDG, those kinda developers.

3. Malware... I know for some time that antivirus programs don't pick those up. How do I deal with it? There are thousand anti-malware programs but they themselves are malware so I'm not going there on my own. Please advise.

As read on the mentioned forum (result of googling), they said this happens because FSX uses very little memory amount which leaks with time (hence long flights) and you end up with an OOM. Not exact terminology, this is the best I could rephrase it. So its like, by analogy, your car is 200-HP, but a certain mode of operation uses only 10-HP, so climbing a hill is possible for few minutes only, then the car can't handle it and starts descending backwards.

By the way, my drive is 512MB Samsung 850Pro, not much in capacity but these are crazily expensive, and it is 45% full already (FSGlobal 2010 terrain is itself like 15-20% of a drive!) If I had a bigger drive, say 1GB, would that help with OOM?

If going by what the guys on the other forum said, nothing would help except for very low settings within FSX because the problem is the FSX itself, nothing outside it matters.

According to some of you however, a bigger drive would allow for a bigger page file (if I understand correctly).

I do have a second drive for my back up files, 1GB, but it is a conventional type.

I agree with Mr. Varn and Mr. Loki in what they have said above.

To prevent OOMs, do the following:

1. Throw money at the problem - get more RAM and a 64-bit OS.

2. Run as little as possible in the background when you're running FSX. Especially I remember in one thread where someone had iTunes running with FSX because he "liked to listen to music when flying".... what real pilot would do that?

Jorgen

I have flown for 20+ hours in single continuous flights online with no OOM, then without rebooting, flew another plane for an additional 4+ hours. Did that in FS9 on XP too.

It's the choices we make, not the sim. I'm not a fan of protection programs either. I prefer to protect myself. There are no silver bullets.

-Pv-

As for me, personally, and like Pvarn this is ONLY me, I don't tell anyone to do anything at all...I've had page files fixed at 2.5XRAM since memory grew above 1.0M. For a long time, 640K was it, but once they figured out how-to...

Again, JUST ME! do NOT imitate! And having the page file on an SSD is the greatest idea ever. Failing that, I never, ever, even if I have to buy another HD, have it on the drive the OS is on. It seems to matter, for what reason, I know not. Computers have grown beyond my ken since I was working on them, back when DOS 3.1 was all the rage, and a 10MB HD was the biggest you could access. However, I do read "tune-up" tips and tricks when a large leap forward is made (and I buy it :D ).

Sorry, I know, I babble...sorry...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Glancing through this thread (I have not read everything posted in it, too much...) I can see there is still a basic misunderstanding of what an OOM is.

OOMs have nothing, zich, nada to do with the size of your page file or the amount of physical RAM you have.

OOMs happen when FSX cannot find a large enough continuous block of Virtual Address Space (VAS).

FSX, being a 32 bit program, can only address about 4GB of VAS. That is the mathematical limit.

When operating in a 32 bit OS that number is more like 2GB with the other 2GB being reserved by the OS.

FSX with SP2 and a 64 bit OS can make full use of the 4GB of VAS. This is the best prevention for OOMs.

You can make the page file as large as you want and run 128GB of memory and still get an OOM.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

^^^

Yup. I don't manage the page file to prevent OOM. I do it for performance and control.

FSX can operate without any OOM if you make good decisions.

Pat,

"I never, ever, even if I have to buy another HD, have it on the drive the OS is on. It seems to matter, for what reason, I know not."

This is more important on Mech drives, not SSD. This is because even if you are focused on an application, Files and utilities are being accessed when the OS needs them to do any number of tasks which are not already loaded as services. On a mech drive, the head has to share time seeking the needs of the OS with page filing and the needs of the application, so any time you can reduce ONE head doing all the work you gain. On an SSD, the limit would be on the access speed of the Flash memory manager which is probably not a factor in this kind of access. In the big scheme of things, the cache shared with the OS drive is a pretty small factor for most of us even on a mech drive because at worst, we are not working our hard drives THAT much while flying. Just watch your HD access light to see what I mean. Even with my meager 8GB sysram, watching my page file at work is very small. Almost nothing most of the time.

-Pv-

Thanks for the info, PV! Now I knowwwww...as the TV show used to say.

Appreciate the help, really.Now I am strongly considering buying an SSD.

Thanks again!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

"Now I am strongly considering buying an SSD."

You will not regret that.

I think it's the most fundamental improvement you can make to a strong computer. Whatever you have, it will run faster and FSX will run faster.

I have a triple boot computer with three OSes. On one OS I have FSX Deluxe running on a mech drive with the OS on an SSD. On another boot I have Acceleration running on another mech drive of the same speed, but that OS boots off a mech drive. The Acceleration on the Mech OS loads from a desktop click in about a minute and a half. I have about 100 or more saved flights. When I bring up the load flight menu, it takes about 40 seconds to provide the list (which comes from the OS drive Doc and settings folder.) When I load up one of those flights, it takes about 45 seconds to get into the loaded flight. Compare that to the Deluxe loading off a mech drive running on an SSD OS. From click to main menu in about 15 seconds or less. The same list of saved flights takes 3 seconds to load from the SSD D+S. Selecting the same saved flight as with the Acceleration to the 3D sim in about 20 seconds. The difference here is the OS is running off an SD. In both these cases, FSX is running off identical mech drives. This I hope illustrates just how influential to the speed of all applications that the OS has fast access to all its parts, not just those services in reserved active memory and that the swap cache is running at MEMORY speed, not mech disk speed. I didn't mention yet how much faster the OS loads. From dead power on through authentication to desktop in 22 seconds if I type fast enough. My SSD is an older model now too. They are getting larger, less expensive and faster.

A decent SSD will last at least 6 times longer. The time will come when you cannot even buy a mech drive any longer. Once enough people own them, it will be like floppy drives. If you had a choice to back up on a thumb or a floppy, which would you choose?

SSD and thumb drives are both flash.

I will not own another PC with a mech drive OS. Just think how convenient your thumb drive is, but faster and larger. Immune to physical shock. Generates almost no heat. No need to park the head when shutting down and spin back up to gain access again so instant access from sleep. Uses a tiny fraction of the power. More reliable than mech drives. No fragmentation effects since there is no mechanical head having to move to remote locations of the disk to assemble the fragments. One bit of memory is effectively as close to access as every other bit. Your OS treats the SSD like any other serial HD. No fuss. One of the many advantages of lower heat and no mechanical parts to wear out, is the increased reliability. Although SSD costs more, you will not be replacing the drive in 2-5 years. It will probably last longer than you. SSDs are also self repairing. They come with an extra buffer of unused memory that the internal processor uses to swap for usable memory in the event it detects a defect. While there is a lot of noise about the bit flop limitations of flash memory compared to magnetic on a disk, those problems are now long gone for typical computer users who are not purposely trying to wear out their SSD by writing to the same location thousands of times a day for years.

By comparison, mech drives go out suddenly without warning and almost always on those often used and written OS and cache locations killing your OS.

In another ways, the current revolution in flash drives is actually an evolution of an idea introduced back in the early days of personal computers like the Amiga and Atari ST where the OS was stored on flash. Nearly instant boot times and incredible reliability compared to the floppy OSes taking control at the time. We've now come back to the right idea. Too bad it took 35 years. Imagine where we would be now if operating systems booted off RAM instead of magnetic disks which are fairly easily damaged and dependent on a complex and sensitive mechanical system sealed in a vacuum. If we hadn't side tracked all these years.

-Pv-

An SSD will not improve FSX frame rates. It will, however, make the sim much smoother.

I've tested just about every drive configuration there is. From a 7200rpm 1,000MB/sec spinner, to a RAMDisk at 3,800,000 MB/sec, I saw less than 2 FPS difference over a multitude of testing. The highest variation came with FSX MAXED. Every slider, every box.

As I saw when moving from a spinning drive to an SSD, the faster RAMDisk cut FSX launch, and flight loading times tremendously. That, and reduced stuttering tendencies, are the true benefits of the faster drives.

If you are getting micro-stutters, an SSD may eliminate them, to the point that you can add a touch of slider, here and there, just don't expect large gains in FPS. Smooooooth...Don

Oh! BTW With 16GB of RAM, or, more, then 0GB VAS, or, "no page file", is OK...

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

When you are setting the virtual memory, what you are really setting is how much of the hard disk is dedicated to providing additional MECHANICAL memory when your system memory runs low. Mechanical memory is VERY VERY SLOW and the Win disk cache is really an emergency get out of jail card.

One note to be clear on how the page file works, the page file is not an extension to RAM, it is a secondary storage for pages, or blocks of virtual memory. The pages for the active application, and recently active if there is enough room, will basically always be in RAM. To make room for this if there isn't enough RAM, the OS will move the pages for any other running applications, starting with the ones that haven't been accessed recently, to the page file. When you switch back to one of these other applications, the OS will move their data back into RAM. This is where the main performance hit is with a page file.

I accidentally found what was causing the OOM. From here on we have to turn the vector off the hardware and concentrate on the FSX again. We are almost there now...(!)

A little prelude:

Per utube video, under Graphics, I lowered the the GTR (Global Texture Resolution) from "Very High" down to "High". Another long flight, KJFK-LIRF (scenery by Dreamfactorystudio). The flight ended at the gate with no problems. I was curious and before exiting the sim I selected the GTR up to "Very High" and immediately began hearing those sounds preceding the OOM. Sounds continued. Then I selected the GTR down to "High" and the sounds stopped. I messed with sim changing views from VC to Outside and changing the angles of view up and down and left and right - NOthing happened, no OOM. Then I selected the GTR up to "Very High", the mentioned sounds began sounding, I messed with views for 3 seconds and... OOM and crash!

So, Global Texture Resolution?

It makes no difference to me (high or very high, looks the same) so I left it at High. Even better, knowing what causes the OOM I uppered the Scenery complexity and Autogen settings (OpenLC in Italy looked stunning, it likes high settings).

So here we could close the subject but I would still like to hear you guys comment on the Global Texture Resolution to have an idea of what this is, how it works and why it could be responsible for OOM.

I tweaked my .cfg per the guide pinned, but I did only the basic important items not going far. This is what I added off Kosta's guide:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[Main]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15

my LOD is at 4.5, I am aware of the problems with higher settings and 4.5 is ok with me.

You do not understand correctly.

Page size has Nothing to do with RAM.

You are not 'adjusting ram settings' when you adjust the page size. And it won't prevent programs from crashing. (!! Though you WILL cause a problem if you would set page size to zero!!).

What causes OOM is running out of VIRTUAL ADRESS SPACE.

That is not actually 'space' as in storage space on RAM or HDD. It is simply the maximum amount of data that FSX can have loaded at any time. FSX is not able to load more, not even if there is much more RAM or HDD space available.

There is 4GB of that maximum possible for FSX.

THERE IS NO WAY TO INCREASE THAT.

Fsx tries to load 4GB, but there must be room available to store it.

The preferred place to store it is RAM. (fast read/write access). Sometimes some info could be stored in cache on the harddisk possibly.

But windows (and other progs) also have active processes loaded and are storing them in RAM and Cache.

There must be room to store those 4GB for FSX of course.

If you have 8GB of RAM that requirement is met. There is room for running windows and other programs, and plenty of room remaining to store 4GB of fsx data in the RAM.

If you have 2GB of RAM, it gets really tight. With 2 GB of RAM you will have around 2GB of cache. That's 4GB total. Because Windows needs to run too, as do some other programs, you will have less then 4GB available for FSX. (even though fsx could do more if there were room.). Increasing cache size wouldn't really work. The hard disk (even SSD) is just way to slow. The fsx files need to be accessed quickly, or you will get stutters.

If you have 4GB of RAM, you would be near the edge. FSX may be using it's full 4GB capacity, but it may also not.

The thing is that some things must happen in RAM. RAM can do things the cache can't.

So, some parts of windows are always loaded into RAM only. That means not all 4GB of RAM will be available to FSX... and just as Windows, FSX too has certain things that can only be done in RAM.

***coffee***cake***more coffee***

Something new.

What I wrote above is true for 64bit systems. (using a Windows-64bit version.)

For 32bit systems things are slightly different.

In those systems Windows itself has a maximum available Virtual Adress Space of 4GB because Win is 32 bit.

So installing more then 4GB of RAM in a 32-bit Windows does not add anything.

What that 4GB limit for windows means for FSX is this: FSX will have maximum of 2GB VAS available. With a tweak (highmemfix) you can increase that to 3GB.

Windows needs VAS for running processes, your videocard will eat up some space too, and other programs will. Those will get priority, since without windows and a display there is no usefull computer. Result: less available for FSX.

(On a win64 OS this tweak is not required, there fsx has 4GB available anyway.)

***coffee***

Yet, and that's the thing, it is not something the user needs to concern himself with.

FSX/Windows "kows" what is available, and "knows" not to go over the limit.

If something is causing a OOM it is either bad software (bad addon) or the user's own fault.

-1- When fsx builds a new fsx.cfg, it analyses your PC capability and produces a fsx.cfg that is tailored for it. If you adjust certain settings you are telling FSX that your PC is better then it really is. When you make the wrong adjustments fsx will get overloaded and crash unexpectedly.

-2- If you overclock your RAM or Processor, they too can get overloaded. If the RAM is overloaded or overheating it can have parts of it that fail. That would cause an OOM, since Windows suddenly notices: "I can't store nothing there".

Issue one could lead to issue 2. Overloading the RAM with Data could actually be overheating the RAM.

And that could easily be your issue. If you have a damaged RAM stick, you could have one out of millions of bits on there that's failing. It may only fail once it is overheated. That would of course happen most when you are at the end of the flight.

Or you have 'tweaked' your fsx.cfg to much and caused the error that way yourself.

Or you have a bad addon installed.

Or you have a malware infection.

***tea this time***

Fixes:

-1- Remove any overclocking.

-2- Use a virus scan cd to scan the pc before windows (and virusses) get loaded. Example: AVG rescue disk.

-3- Install anti virusscanner afterwards. AVG free will do for now.

-4- MOVE your fsx.cfg file to the desktop. (so it is deleted from its orig location and backed up safe).

-5- Start fsx. That will create a new fresh working fsx.cfg file in the correct location.

Your problem should then be fixed most likely.

If not there are some other things to try, but then I would need more info about your PC. (CPU, RAM, Mainboard mainly, Windows version mainly) As example My specs: /self built / cpu Intel i5 3570k / ram 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM / Mainboard gigabyte z77xd3h / Win7-64bit /// -example only-.

***coffee brewing***

I think your problem comes from trying to make the computer do more then it can. You say it's super fast, but if you say you are using the highmemfix tweak it makes me think you probably have no more then 2GB ram and then probably also a 32bit operating system.

Because of that, I doubt it really is that fast. I think you are expecting to much from your PC, and you are trying to make it do things it can't. If you keep doing that crashes are inevitable.

il88pp.

P.S.

As a response to your last post:

By lowering your settings you avoided a crash this time. But, that does not mean that setting caused the crashes!! It just means that lowering your settings helped. You could have lowered other settings and had the same result.

P.P.S.

If you are not using AntiVirus you are almost certainly infected. It's utter nonsense that AntiVirus itself is malware.

People that tell you such nonsense are probably spreading virusses themselves. They would love for you to put your guard down.

Run a scan with AVG Rescue Disk

http://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en_US&urlname=How-to-use-AVG-Rescue-CD

Then install free AVG.

P.P.P.S.

You speak of a loud beeping sound. Is that unbearably loud and coming from the inside of you PC????

Because in that case it is probably the warning horn on the Mainboard that is set to go off when parts very much overheat.

That horn is there to warn you when the processor reaches a certain temperature. Usually it is set to 90 degrees Celcius. It is possible to set it to go off before that. I have mine set to 70 degrees Celcius and it never beeps.

If it is indeed that warning going off there is a serious problem, especcially when it's set to 90 Degrees. Processors die at that temperature. And programs crash. Even windows itself will crash. Like: -blip- and the screen is black and the computer switches off.

If this is what's going on, extreme overheating, you have a much more serious problem then your OOM error and that needs to be adressed. (The fan that cools the processor could be failed, or failing from time to time, and then it would need to be replaced. Or the processor is overclocked to high. Or Or Or. Anyway, it needs to be adressed, before the processor overheats so much it dies and possibly takes other parts down as well. And before windows starts crashing and damages files because of not shutting down correctly.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes Sir, I understand the subject and I'm not touching the page settings, it is set to default auto-control.

As for the sounds, it is not coming out of the hardware, it's a native Windows 7 sound you hear when you install programs, the sound is heard at the end of installation when the program is installed, notifying you of installation being complete. It's that same sound I heat prior to OOM. Anyway please read my previous post, we are taking on a new course now, again concentrating on FSX and other software settings. I did build a new .cfg, I assume this is something that must be done once in a while.

My system:

Z97 formula w/ i7 4790K (not overclocked) with EVO-212 cooling, GTX 970, 16GB DDR-2400, 512GB SSD. Windows 7 Home 64 bit, FSX/SP2.

ps speaking of antivirus, I do have one ofcourse and it is Norton.

I believe both Norton and Kaspersky (the 2 I know) don't catch malware well, especially that V9 thing.

Archived