I've been framed!

avallillo

I've been dipping my toe into the X-Plane 10 waters for the last few months now, one frustration at a time! Turns out that a certain percentage of my original flight stability problems may have been rooted in my arthritic joystick, although why XP should be more intolerant of a failing joystick than the various remaining versions of MSFS that I use is unclear to me. Nonetheless, my new Thrustmaster HOTAS-X (thank you Santa!) seems to be doing a much better job of handling the control duties, and the airplanes are more controllable, and fly a bit more like the real thing.

But alas, I have yet to find a viable solution to the abysmal frame rates I am getting whenever I am using any sort of decent add-on airport scenery (5-7 fps at JFK, PHNL, etc). Now my Dell XPS core i7 3770 with GeForce GT 620 is admittedly not Alienware, and perhaps not even Tupperware, but it really isn't a slouch either. It runs FSX consistently in the 30fps range with sliders a bit west of center, and it can even manage around 15-18 (which works fine) with the Drzweicki (sorry if I got the spelling wrong!) Manhattan scenery. These results are taking advantage of the steroidal effects of Xtreme FSX PC, which has actually worked very well for me. Therein lies the kernel of a question!

Is there, for X Plane 10, any sort of a jumpstarter like Xtreme, or perhaps Fiber accellerator? A software item that would analyze the system and do the tweaks, for someone like me who knows next to nothing about computers beyond how to turn it on!

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Tony Vallillo

greetings!

xp has tons of configuration possibilities, some more hit more on the graphics cards and others in the cpu...

those super low fps are probably due to running out of ram memory on the big airports...

i suggest you lower your texture resolution down to very high o r high, check compress textures on, and if your not doing suborbital flight or anything above FL500, uncheck high res planet textures.

if its still too low, then you have to go the long route, set everyting to low and start raising parameters and testing out your stuff.

remember the hdr and accompaning parameters are gpu dependent, while those fores, and roads etc option above are more cpu dependent...

I've found that the graphics card is usually the culprit with X-Plane. I have a GT640 and can run X-Plane at 30FPS if I leave HDR rendering off. My PC is a much lower spec - Core2 Quad 2.66GHZ and 8GB RAM. Your PC sounds fine assuming you have 8GB of RAM.

I would probably do what I have read in several good threads covering X-Plane performance and setting and simply crank all the settings up and experiment with lowering different ones until you get good results. The immediate culprit is probably what was mentioned above, your texture resolution, but considering the idea that everyone's system is different, different settings will cause different things. What may bog down your system may not affect another persons'. That aside, X-Plane does have some good calibration options for nullzoning, axis centers, etc. The issue with most gaming joysticks is that if you take a close look at what the inexpensive potentiometers are doing, you'll actually see that the readings sometimes flutter quite a bit.

Ricardo

FSThrottle.com

There is no "silver Bullet" fix it for you software for XP. That is the beauty of it. I wouldn't set everything to its highest, rather the opposite to test and tweak. Nor would I test at an airport where you had great difficulty. Same airport (maybe even KSEA), same aircraft, same WX & time of day for your source. Change one thing at a time, reload the sim (even though not all changes require that, be safe). Make sure your VRAM at the bottom of the rendering page doesn't exceed half of your video cards ram. Search the web for XP Rendering, look for developer blogs, and the XP manual has a great piece on it too. Good Luck! You can get there!

There is an official performance tuning guide from Laminar, which might give you a few hints of tuning:

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=setting-the-rendering-options-for-best-performance

But, to be honest, for me your GPU (GeForce 620, right?) sounds like on the very very low end. Its - almost - irrelevant what you can achieven on FSX, as X-Plane has a completely different rendering engine, using much more new tech, and thus hard on the GPU. Thus, even with the above tuning guide, you will quite likely need to go to very low settings (and thus, less pleasing graphics) to achieve acceptable FPS.

So, if you have a few bucks left, upgrading the GPU might be the first, best step to start with (and almost anything you can buy today should be faster than a 620).

Andras Fabian / Alpilotx

A big thank you to all who have replied! When I have time in between my CAP flights I will try out the tweaks you have suggested.

As to the video card, I have been looking at the possibility of upgrading it, but there may be some limit as to what I can put in there in terms of what the computer itself (probably the motherboard) can handle. It has been suggested that something in the GeForce GTX range would be better, but I will have to consult with an expert to see just what I can shove in there that would work with the rest of the machine!

Thanks again!

Tony Vallillo

• 5 weeks later...
A big thank you to all who have replied! When I have time in between my CAP flights I will try out the tweaks you have suggested.

As to the video card, I have been looking at the possibility of upgrading it, but there may be some limit as to what I can put in there in terms of what the computer itself (probably the motherboard) can handle. It has been suggested that something in the GeForce GTX range would be better, but I will have to consult with an expert to see just what I can shove in there that would work with the rest of the machine!

Thanks again!

Tony Vallillo

Hi,

Hate to bump an old-ish thread but i know why you're having issues. Your GPU is way underpowered. For pretty much anything. Your CPU is more than powerful enough for any game on the market, but your GPU could do with an upgrade. The 620 is basically made to play minesweeper at a decent FPS. Assuming your PSU is at least 300 watts, which is basically has to be, anything up to a 750ti from Nvidia could fit onto it easily. The only real limitation to a graphics card currently is power supply and CPU, you don't need to take into consideration your motherboard.

What i personally would recommend is a GTX 750 (not ti). It's only a hundred dollars, and should blow anything you're doing out of the water. It should also be totally plug and play.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that recommendation, and I will look into it. Dell had told me, when I inquired of them shortly after I posted this and discovered that the 620 was not the king of the hill (!), that I could not add much in the way of a graphics card, and most certainly not anything in the GTX series.

But now I shall revisit this, since that would likely be less expensive than buying an entire new computer.

Archived