General characteristics

Crew: two: student and instructor

Length: 46 ft 4.5 in (14.14 m)

Wingspan: 25 ft 3 in (7.7 m)

Height: 12 ft 10.5 in (3.92 m)

Wing area: 170 ft² (15.79 m²)

Empty weight: 7,200 lb (3,270 kg)

Loaded weight: 11,820 lb (5,360 kg)

Max. takeoff weight: 12,093 lb (5,485 kg)

Powerplant: 2 × General Electric J85-5A (J85-5R after PMP modification) afterburning turbojets

Dry thrust: 2,050 lb (9.1 kN) each

Thrust with afterburner: 3,850 lbf (17.1 kN) each

If you mean in FSX or FS9, then look in the Aircraft.cfg file, the section

[TurbineEngineData]

fuel_flow_gain =0.06500

inlet_area =19.289500

rated_N2_rpm =29920.000000

static_thrust =22200.000000

afterburner_available =6

AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.35

afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.89

reverser_available =0

ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.6

Notice the line labeled Afterburner_available=6. this indicates the # of stages the blower has.

Does this help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Real world, I have seen them take-off but never see the afterburner, so I was just curious.

Thanks for answering my question!:cool:

System specs: AMD FTX 6300 six core processor 3.5 GHz, Video card Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB on board,

Windows 8.1 64 bit and 1 TB on hard drive.

I left VMFT-401 just before they transitioned to the F-5 (the single seat T-38), so I'm not absolutely certain of this but I think their thrust-to-weight is pretty high, so they may not use them unless under special circumstanse, or, like the F-14, have NATOPS restrictions against it. If I had stayed, I would have asked (talked to the Nasal Radiators a lot in the line-shack :) ), but I stepped out of a job that had doubled my Marine-Corps salary at 401 into one at the Aerostat site that doubled that. And with a wife and 5 kids, I needed it :D

Glad I could help out, though.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

• 2 weeks later...

The T-38A's that I flew in pilot training all the way back in 1972 did indeed have afterburners, but you really couldn't see them in operation during the day. Only at dusk or at night could you see them. I'm not sure why this was, but perhaps they sent less fuel to the AB than other bigger engines.

We used AB all the time for takeoff, and I imagine that unless the later T-38's (I'm not sure but I think that all of the T-38's are essentially the same airplane except for avionics upgrades) had bigger engines, like the F-5 does, they probably use AB for takeoff routinely as well.

Go to one of the photography websites like Airliners.net and search on T-38 and night and you may find a picture of one taking off with the AB visible.

The T-38A's that I flew in pilot training all the way back in 1972 did indeed have afterburners, but you really couldn't see them in operation during the day.

Well, there ya go! Straight from the horse's...MOUTH.

Sorry, Avallillo, I couldn't resist.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived