Flat screen TV as monitor

farrout

Flat screen TV's do not have the same resolution as computer monitor screens. I tried FSX on 40" Sony and it was OK. Hard to see a lot of detail. Too far away in typical flat screen TV scenario. Better off with 24" computer monitor.

Depends on what you want, I have a flat screen monitor as an extra for FS9, it is great if you have other things connected to FS you can slide them across to the flat screen, still have FS on the PC screen but keep all the other stuff on the flat screen, I like it to be honest.

Very easy to connect and setup as well, recently I got the moving map and I have that on the flat screen.

Most television screens aren't capable of the resolution of an equivalent computer monitor; they are designed to be viewed from across the room. If you find one with decent resolution, it will require a massive vid card to drive it. Otherwise, if you sit far enough back that the TV image looks good, you might as well sit closer to a smaller computer screen.

Another consideration is field of view. I've played games on a 32" monitor sitting on a desk ...impressive at first but ultimately too much image. You are at constantly moving your eyes, if not completely turning your head, to keep track of what is occurring around the screen.

I agree a 23" monitor seems optimum for most uses, perhaps a 27" if you sit back a bit (though these are inordinately expensive compared to a 23").

I apologise, I re-read your first post, you said TV as a spare screen sorry, I am using a flat screen monitor not a TV so the other posters saying the resolution isn't as good are correct.

I picked up my monitor from a charity shop, a Dell and it is great.

I have a 40 inch 1080p HD TV as my display. It is spectacular. You have much more immersion than any monitor. I run 19x10 resolution and the characters on panels are sharp and easy to read. I sit about 30 in from the screen and run IFLY 737 NG and the knobs and switches are almost life size. Try it before you decide.

If it's a digital TV with appropriate VGA/DVI/HDMI connectors, and you have matching ones on your video card, then results will be excellent. I have been doing this ever since we got our HDTV, with great success. However, if it's only an analogue TV and your only common connector is the yellow RCA one, then it is unlikely to be as good. You need to make sure that your video card will support the resolution of the TV, particularly if it's HD.

Steve from Mudgee

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

• 3 weeks later...

Peugeot, if I may make a suggestion? .... have you tried having your big screen as a "forward view only", then have your instrument panel on the laptop screen? That gives you a "quasi 3D" view. In my opinion, better than any VC due to the fact that you do have a true third dimension, even if it is only a couple of meters.

Steve from Mudgee

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Peugeot, if I may make a suggestion? .... have you tried having your big screen as a "forward view only", then have your instrument panel on the laptop screen? That gives you a "quasi 3D" view. In my opinion, better than any VC due to the fact that you do have a true third dimension, even if it is only a couple of meters.

Steve from Mudgee

That sounds really good, but can you do all that in 3D mode? I tried to drag windows into the laptop before but it only worked in 2D mode, and there was a drop in the 'outside world' resolution.

Thanks for the tip :)

Archived