Virgin 747 at Gatwick

Once again we've seen an aircraft with a landing gear problem return to the departure airport and instantly block its runway, causing disruption to thousands of passengers!

I've always wondered why they don't divert to a nearby military airport, thereby enabling the commercial airport to continue as normal.

Anyone care to comment, please?

• 3 weeks later...

Security. Runways too short. Lack of facilities including customs. Security. On going transport problems. Security. Lots of reasons. If an aircraft has a serious problem that requires diversion, it will almost always be diverted to a suitable commercial airport where they have the appropriate facilities. Military fields do not.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

Virgin 747 at Gatwick

I know for a fact that that 747 is no virgin! I am certain that, much like my ex-wife, it's had several thousands of men in it. At least...

:D :D :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Security. Runways too short. Lack of facilities including customs. Security. On going transport problems. Security. Lots of reasons.

Many thanks.

I would have thought that security at a military base would be even tighter than at a commercial airport, but I'm no expert in these matters.

Probably the only UK military base capable of handling the passenger numbers would be Brize Norton, but then there is the problem of what to do with them once deplaned. Returning to Gatwick makes sound commercial sense. there are repair facilities there, and usually passengers can be transferred from one 'plane to another, not normally possible at a military airfield.

• 4 weeks later...
The answer is simple, if a problem comes up, according to their emergency checklists, they need to divert to the nearest airport. In this case, the nearest airport was the departure airport. Also, due to security issues, civilian aircraft will only ever (if ever) land at a military airport as a last resort, when all other options are exhausted. Also, I don't think the airline would be particularly pleased with having one of its aircraft impounded by the military in question to be searched.

1+1=cow :p

"WE jumped out a WINdow!" -Baymax (from Big Hero 6)

Archived