FSX Re-install issues with Service Pack One and Two

gwskeen

Just a little history so you get a better perception of a really aggravating set of issues. After a little over two years of perfect operation and quite a number of third party add-on's, my most recent addition resulted in a completely fried FSX. No names here. I can't blame the publishers or providers. Who knows, it may have been something I caused. That original installation a little over two years ago was installed on decent hardware. Its a Dell running a 64-bit operating system on Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz hardware. There is 12 GB of installed memory. Pretty good 2GB accelerator card. The simulator was sprightly even with most of the sliders well to the right and enough third party toys to really push the limit ...... until it broke. I tried a number of useless revival methods all resulting in failure. This is where I decided to just start over. After-all, I did this a couple of years ago.

I Uninstalled FSX using the Control Panel's "Programs & Features" link and everything seemed to go perfectly. After re-booting my computer to get a really clean system, I initiated re-install of FSX from the original FSX Deluxe Boxed Disks. Again, everything seemed to go as it should and the simulator performed well in actual operation. Next, I tackled the Service Packs. I already had the installation files from the previous successful installation. I obviously started with SP-1 and initiated the installation procedure. Again, everything seemed as it should ...... for the moment.

The display relayed to me a message stating a successful installation of Service Pack One. I again re-booted to get a clean machine. I then double clicked on the SP-2 to begin the installation. It started installing normally at first, flipping through a number of installation details at the bottom of the display. Suddenly it displays "Rolling Back the Installation. Your system has not been changed."

I tried to do a little research on this but there's not much there at the moment. It was suggested to re-install the service packs but to, without fail, uninstall the existing packs first using "Programs & Features". I attempted this but Programs and Features know absolutely nothing about either of the service packs. On the first attempt at SP-1 re-installation I had no reason to see if the program was displayed in the list of installed programs. During subsequent full re-installs I visited Programs and Features immediately after the SP-1 installation displayed "Success". and found no indication of the service pack's existence. At this point, since I can't seem to add or remove these programs I'm stuck with a really lean FSX and no third party programs. I've tried subsequent removals and re-installations with the same result.

Any ideas????

I miss my flight time.......and I just bought a yoke.

With both service packs installed, Windows features will show Microsoft FSX Service pack 2. When you uninstall service pack 2, it will just say Microsoft FSX and to the best of my knowledge, it makes no reference to SP1 you have installed SP1 successfully. The reason it is giving no reference to SP2 is because it rolled it back with out installing it. Can't be of any help as to why, but if i get a chance i will see what i can come up with.

I know people dont reccomend them but get ccleaner free and run the registry cleaner to make sure all the FSX reg keys are cleaned out. It might help. Also do a disk clean up to make sure all temp files have being deleted I have seeing them cause issues too. That can be done via my computer.
Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

There is a known problem in Deluxe when uninstalling, then reinstalling. The Microsoft Store can get corrupted which prevents FSX from installing which causes the installer to roll back and remove the files which have been copied to that point. There is a file you can run to clean the store. Even if it's not the problem, it cannot hurt. You should be able to find it on the MS site which fixes the Error 1722:

mskb928080.exe

There is a plethora of threads here about uninstalling FSX and you should read those which are applicable to non-Acceleration paying attention to clearing the user files.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I've never installed Acceleration always going for the monetary savings using only the freely downloadable service pack 2. Here's a question to all; What's the general consensus when asked whether purchasing and installing Acceleration from the actual disks might solve the problem?

If your problem is licensing, the UPGRADE path to Acceleration will not solve anything. You have to solve the core problem. If Deluxe is broken, Acceleration will also be broken or not install at all. If you decide to go with Acceleration after fixing Deluxe, you will have to remove SP2 first.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Download Windows Installer Cleanup. I think it's still available on CNET if it's not on the MS site, I think it was removed. I have it zipped but can't attach it or so it would appear. It should do the job. Your problem is there are still refs. to FSX in your registry. So the installer thinks it's already installed and rolls back. Use it with caution though. Follow the instructions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mickey D

Team SDB Scenery Bloke

Yes, I want to do that. But, at this point I don't find a facility to accomplish this task. Neither service pack is listed in "Programs & Features" where you typically find "Uninstall/Change". How else may the Service Packs be removed correctly from a Windows 7 machine?

Archived