ORBX FTX Question... Global, Base, Vector et..

mdavenport

Hi,

I have been flying FSX with the Horizon VFR Gen 3 photo scenery of the UK and think its time for a change so was looking at getting the following products:-

1. ORBX FTX Global Base

2. ORBX FTX Global Vector

3. ORBX FTX OpenLC Europe

Can anyone tell me if this combination will give me the following:-

1. Photo scenery of the UK?

2. Cities where there are actually cities?

3. Roads where there are actually roads?

4. Will I be able to see my house!

5. Key landmarks like Power Stations etc?

If these won't give me the above, then what is it really going to give me apart from better trees etc?

Sorry if this sounds like a daft question but struggling to get the answers.

Hope you can help..

Mark

PC: i7-4790 QUAD Core HT 3.60Ghz, 16GB RAM, Corsair Supernova GS 650w PSU, Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX, 128GB SSD (Win7 x64), 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (FSX+Addons)

Monitor: 3 x 23" IPS NVidia Surround 5880x1024, 1 x 19" 16:9

Addons: Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Jetmax TQ, FDS CDU, FDS MX MCP, iVibe TFS3, Prosim:737

Exactly what I use, so here is a quick answer:

1. Nothing like photo scenery but very realistic textures.

2. Yes, very close to reality.

3. Major roads yes, just don't expect too much (UTX is better for this).

4. Yes, but only if you live in Buckingham Palace or some other European landmark.

5. Yes, I've found some in the right places.

Of course things will be even better if on top of all that you install the UK scenery from ORBX.

You can find a video review of ORBX UK in YouTube a check out if it's up to your expectation.

Cheers,

Hi Thanks...

Is this the UK product you mention:-

https://fullterrain.com/product/eng

Also, any ideas on how to best tune FTX for good FPS?

Exactly what I use, so here is a quick answer:

1. Nothing like photo scenery but very realistic textures.

2. Yes, very close to reality.

3. Major roads yes, just don't expect too much (UTX is better for this).

4. Yes, but only if you live in Buckingham Palace or some other European landmark.

5. Yes, I've found some in the right places.

Of course things will be even better if on top of all that you install the UK scenery from ORBX.

You can find a video review of ORBX UK in YouTube a check out if it's up to your expectation.

Cheers,

PC: i7-4790 QUAD Core HT 3.60Ghz, 16GB RAM, Corsair Supernova GS 650w PSU, Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX, 128GB SSD (Win7 x64), 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (FSX+Addons)

Addons: Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Jetmax TQ, FDS CDU, FDS MX MCP, iVibe TFS3, Prosim:737

Yes it is that one (didn't remember how many they have just for the UK).

With just Base+Vector+openLC I have about the same FPS that with the default scenery so I guess that the same old tips apply (mostly avoiding FPS killers like light bloom, scenery ground shadows, too much traffic, unnecessary water effects and cloud distance, etc.).

I think that's instead of all that, assuming the OP is only interested in flying in the UK!

Strictly speaking, if the OP is only interested in flying in the UK, then he needs England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland as well.

Also the specific addon airports for the Regions are optimised for the Regional product not the Global base, although they will work with it.

I think that's instead of all that, assuming the OP is only interested in flying in the UK!

Didn't try it myself and don't know if FTX England includes all textures and vector data needed just for England.

I've just openLC Europe and it requires both Global Base and Global Vector.

Just another question about ORBX...

I've now got Global Base + Vector and have just purchased England, however when I install England and apply it, it removes the tick from Global being flagged as applied..

Can you only have one area active?

I'm curious about that since I haven't yet bought any Region but I intend to do it.

I'm sure it is explained in the PDF Manuals that come with the Orbx products and can be accessed through the FTX Central but could quickly check two things:

- If you go south and cross the channel, how does the French scenery look? (I bet that at least the FTX Global Base textures are still there).

- Aren't all the ORBX Areas active in FSX Scenery Library?

And 5m Mesh

OpenLC EU will soon be at v1.1 and there will be massive improvements across the whole of Europe.

That's good news because I find openLC EU short compared to UTX Europe.

I don't expect great changes from a better Mesh. What I find really is missing is Vector Data (like small river and roads) and a more accurate Landclass.

I'm curious about that since I haven't yet bought any Region but I intend to do it.

I'm sure it is explained in the PDF Manuals that come with the Orbx products and can be accessed through the FTX Central but could quickly check two things:

- If you go south and cross the channel, how does the French scenery look? (I bet that at least the FTX Global Base textures are still there).

- Aren't all the ORBX Areas active in FSX Scenery Library?

You use hybrid mode. And yep, it's all explained in the manual. And France looks great - and again, that's in areas I know well, having previously owned a holiday home in the South of France and used to fly there.What I find surprising is they've done Norway as a Region, but not France, Italy, Spain etc. etc.

What I find surprising is they've done Norway as a Region, but not France, Italy, Spain etc. etc.

Indeed, maybe besides market priority they are just starting from north (they have a demo of Iceland). I'm waiting for Spain and Portugal. Meanwhile maybe the upcoming v1.1 of openLC EU will fill some gaps.

Archived