why do I have a rudder?

eddee33

Greetings,

I'm just now getting to posting this question. Pick your airplane...it doesn't matter which. Take off, get to a safe altitude, and then give it full rudder. The nose of the plane turns, but the tail doesn't slide. Release the rudder and you are just where you started: the nose is back straight but you didn't slide at all. I've really noticed it when landing in a cross wind and wanting to slide the airplane to better line up with center.

This weirdness also doesn't let a person do flat turns or rudder stall turns. Any ideas on how to get fs2004 to use the rudder properly?

Don't know why you would have one but all planes do (sorry, my first thought).

But do you have auto-coordinate (auto-rudder?) enabled? This couples the rudder to the ailerons for simpler control but can produce odd results if using a rudder input (and make helicopters almost impossible to fly).

Are you using keyboard, twist-grip, or pedals for rudder control? If a twist-grip joystick, make sure windows and FS9 are recognizing all axes.

You can also check and be sure the Yaw Damper is OFF (no, it doesn't mean "On Full Force"!).

That can reduce your rudder pedal authority dramatically, I have found. I always turn it off for "break" turns, and other ACM or aerobatic maneuvers.

Just a thought! I have those very rarely, and they always get lonely and leave pretty soon...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Not all aircraft react that way. Certainly my models don't being 30's & 40's piston designs which usually require rudder to keep the nose aligned with the horizon & to keep the turn co-ordinator ball centralised in order to execute a co-ordinated turn. i.e. one that has no side slip so it performs in plan view a true arc of a circle. This was necessary once radar let downs were introduced so that the ground control operator with his rudimentary displays could steer a pilot to the touch down & he could predict where the aircraft would be at the end of a 'rate 1' or a 'rate 2' turn.

Rudders were also necessary to steer the aircraft on the ground especially tail draggers & some nose wheel types that have castoring nosewheels.

HTH

Keith

I do realize why aircraft have rudders, and occasionally in the sim the rudder is necessary for a coordinated turn. I'm just wondering if there is something keeping the sim from using the rudder in other situations as it was designed to work.

I'm using Saitek rudder pedals for control. Auto rudder is unchecked. I don't use the rudder when on autopilot, so not sure why the yaw damper would be activated otherwise. All flight model sliders maxed realism.

Is it a sim problem or a CFG problem do you think?

It sounds as if the model you are using needs modifying in the .air file. There are various parameters listed in section 1101 Yaw listing that can affect rudder sensitivity, as well as some others within the .air file. Unfortunately the composition of the airfile is usually as good as the creator can ascertain from reading documents & translating that into the sim. If one is more lucky, one can have experience of that aircraft or get a pilot to check it out that does.

HTH

Keith

Does the rudder work via keyboard control? If so your rudder inputs aren't being recognized.

This was Micro$oft's solution for many such control issues:

- unplug the controller and in CP uninstall any associated software

- restart windows, load FS9, select the default flight, make sure all keyboard controls work normally, exit FS9

- restart windows (again), plug in the controller and see if all axes are recognized in windows game controller, if all is well...

- restart windows yet again, start FS9, default flight, and see if the controller now works

- reinstall any special controller software if necessary for mapping, profiles, or FFB; restart windows again

My memory of MS explanation was that windows game controller, FS9, and any specialized software all write control data to the registry. FS9 can get "confused" by this, only recognize partial data, and will adamantly refuse to correct itself. So this procedure, with all the restarts, assures all data is wiped from the registry, FS9 recognizes only keyboard commands, and the new data is written clean.

May or may not clear your problem, but it's something else to try.

• 2 weeks later...
I think we may have gotten a little confused. The rudder pedals do actuate the rudder in the sim correctly. The model does react to the input, however it doesn't seem to react as a real aircraft would. Yes I know its just a sim and you get what you pay for, but I'm wondering if there may be some tweek that can be done to make the sim even slightly more realistic. The .air file issue may be where the solution lies, however I'm hoping that I wouldn't have to view every one to get what I'm looking for...

MS never got the rudder thing right, I recall Flight Unlimited demonstrating snap rolls, and challenging anyone to do that in MSFS.

RealAir always took pride in having "correct" rudder response.

Try their Spitfire or Decathlon and see if you are more satisfied, perhaps.

Archived