FSX SE - Features and compatibility

lohpsch

Think this may be of some interest.

FSX SE gives you for 5€ (while the launch price is on):

- FSX with Acceleration (cheap upgrade for those who don´t have it).

- No SDK (hope it can be installed).

- A few well known tweaks (HIGHMEMFIX=1 in FSX.CFG, UIAutomationCore).

- DX10 Preview with no changes (in my case, better graphics, lower FPS).

- No changes in performance (at least for me, with I7 + 8GB RAM and Intel Graphics HD 3000).

Compatible addons already confirmed:

- FTX Global Base

- FTX Global Vector

- FTX openLC Europe

- REX 4 Texture Direct

Not bad, so far.

Cheers,

FSUIPC not working and it is more than an install issue.

According to Pete Dawson (check his support forum) a new version compatible with FSX:SE may be expected for January, 9th, not before.

Seems I will not be flying my VTOL aircraft for a while.

Something I really don't like:

- Not possible to launch FSX SE without Steam running and being logged.

- Not possible to exit Steam and keep FSX running.

Maybe I will stop testing Steam Edition and go back to good old FSX...

Don't regret the try (for 5€ it was not a big risk) but the imperative need to be online and logged to use FSX is not worth a repack of some tweaks and extras that most simmers already had and a new splash screen.

Cheers,

- Not possible to launch FSX SE without Steam running and being logged.

Cheers,

That is a real negative that it can't be used without an internet connection, what were they thinking!!! not everyone has a reliable internet connection & what happens if you are in the middle of a flight & your internet goes down, does FSX SE crash?

Also, why have they not included the SDK, to try & suppress future add-on developers?

...and yes the SDK is included; you'll have to create the dll.xml file yourself (I just edited a copy of the previous) and I have my effects tool and the AItoolbox functionality installed as per original edition. Heck, I even copied over my Standard.xml for keys, and my adjusted camera.cfg (and modified aircraft.cfg's). Piece o' cake...

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

That is a real negative that it can't be used without an internet connection, what were they thinking!!! not everyone has a reliable internet connection & what happens if you are in the middle of a flight & your internet goes down, does FSX SE crash?

Also, why have they not included the SDK, to try & suppress future add-on developers?

You need to be online and logged but if the internet goes down FSX SE doesn't crash and you can even load a saved flight or start a new one. But you cannot exit and start FSX SE again until internet is back on.

As for the SDK, it is included but not complete (I can't find any EXE) so I doubt that some programs like Instant Scenery or ADE will work without bglcomp.exe

Another feature included in Steam Edition is VC rain effect, just for the aircraft that have it in the model, of course (the RealAir Dukes have it).

Again this is a feature that was missing in FSX but there was a fix for it, by replacing VCRain*.* textures.

I am not a techie with computers but I have now got FSX Steam on my F Drive and just flew Cessna 172 around Tucson with all sliders maxed in Unlimited frames ...got 60s FPS and flight was very smooth. but the RealWX did not come on...probably will have to load some add ons in the Steam....

Another interesting "feature" of Steam Edition.

Even to uninstall you have to be online and logged.

Uninstalled and logged off.

FSX SE was a nice try, but I am starting a new fresh install of my good old FSX.

My thoughts about FSX SE:

- If you are new to FSX maybe you should consider Prepar3d or X-Plane.

- If you have FSX, keep it.

Cheers,

lohpsch, I have no intention to not keep FSX lol....but I think it will be interesting just to see where this whole thing plays out...personally for me only... Prepar3d and X-Plane would not be for me from what I have read others say here...

As I said, if you have FSX, keep it, as I certainly will.

I have just mentioned other flight simulators for those that are now starting and might think of FSX SE as a new or better FSX.

IMO it should be called SFS (Steam Flight Simulator), or something like that.

Another interesting "feature" of Steam Edition.

Even to uninstall you have to be online and logged.

Uninstalled and logged off

Good to know thanks for the heads up

Will be doing same shortly, cheap 5$ lesson learnt

Working on more realistic fsx scenery for my needs but getting there

Thanks

You have to change to offline before running the game in Steam. Did you follow these procedures?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

Did try to go in offline mode a few times without success but I had not read the procedure in this link (thanks) so I cannot be 100% sure of having tried the right way.

I'm now installing my good old FSX without SE (not loosing anything, anyway).

And I sure will try SE again, when a new version of FSUIPC will be available to support it.

Meanwhile it would be great if someone else with FSX SE installed could check this issue.

Thanks,

Loki, did you try this yourself?

I did, it did not work.

I get the message:

'You must be logged into Steam to play this game(Steam log in failed).'

Not yet, and I won't have a chance until after the weekend, hence my questions.

As for the SDK, it is included but not complete (I can't find any EXE) so I doubt that some programs like Instant Scenery or ADE will work without bglcomp.exe

One can download the FREE Prepar3D v1.4 SDK from here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=22

It is simply an updated version of the FSX/A SDK, so everything needed is included!

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

I read today that Dowson just finished a version of FSUIPC for Steam but not as to where one can obtain a copy...can only guess later...??

You can get it the same place always:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

Here's a direct link to download: http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/Install_FSUIPC4938_.zip

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you get real weather if you are not "on line?" This is not about me but even with my FSX I am always on line....and now I have Active Sky Next and it is fantastic....

You wait to see if HiFi Simulations can modify ASN to work with SE.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Archived