Microsoft FSX Steam Edition out now 80% off

alaskancrab

And it comes with a pretty long list of bug fixes.

General

* FSX: Steam Edition is now built using the VS2013 compiler for better optimisation and performance. (Still makes use of VS2005 libraries for backwards compatibility.)

* Updated splash, launcher and mission preview images for FSX:SE versions.

Multiplayer, networking and communications

* Gamespy networking now replaced by new Steam networking.

* Game chat now integrated with Steam chat

* Friends/Banned lists now integrated with Steam.

* Game invites now use Steam.

* Host networking defaults to a single port 6112.

* Host networking uses 27016 for Steam Master Server Browser.

* Host timeout (loss of connection to host) now 35 seconds by default (was 55).

* "Disconnected" message dialog now retained on screen for 4 mins before automatic dismissal (was 30 secs).

Steam Support

* Top Down Camera (camera view select 4) was previously bound to F12 by default which is normally used for Steam's screenshot feature. Camera View Select 4 now uses Shift+F12 by default to avoid potential clash.

Compatibility with FSX boxed

* FSX and FSX: Steam Edition co-Existence feature allows both versions to be installed on the same machine.

Default System-Setting Alterations

* Increased TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to 4096 up from 1024

* Changed HIGHMEMFIX=1

* Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers.

Bugs Fixed

* Fix to particle emitter controllers which were not being updated properly.

* Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache.

* Fix to Texture Composition preventing fail and crash.

* Fixed issue where player is able to reserve more slots for friends than maximum players allowed in the game.

* Fixed issue where invalid Briefing Room was presented to player when cancelling session creation.

* Fixed issue where weather text in the multiplayer briefing room is partially cut off.

* Fixed issue where no error message appears when attempting to host a session with the network adapter disabled.

* Fixed issue where there is no error message when attempting to host a session with the network cable unplugged.

* Fixed issue where host player is frozen after a collision occurs in multiplayer.

* Fixed issue where client gets dropped from a multiplayer game after they crash into the host.

* Fixed issue where the Host Options in multiplayer/ Free Flight allow a user to have a maximum of 99 player slots.

* UIAutomationCore.dll work-a-round is now supplied by default with FSX:SE. This fixes a number of crashes relating to UI interaction on 64-bit versions of Windows.

* Fixed issue where the application’s taskbar preview window displays no content on Windows 8 and above

* Prevent default colour mode for Windows 7 and above (enable automatic display composition).

* sserife.fon file now automatically supplied and loaded.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/626329820729615790/

So does this mean I'll have to reinstall all my addons if I want to use this?

Yes, if you want to run the Steam edition, you will need to move or reinstall all of your add-ons. And even then, there could be issues as Dovetail can't guarantee all add-ons will work.

I am just concerned with one fix:

Lets hear the reports...

That'll be a tough one to isolate. Don't expect huge gains but there is a world of difference between the 2005 compiler and the 2013. The new compiler can make certain portions of the code run 4x faster. What the overall effect is, only a guess of 5% to 10%.

Well, for $5, that is a simple purchase easily made. Not much lost if I never use it. But with Steam, installing on a new computer is a breeze. No more hunting down the reg codes et al.

Just bought it, and now it'll sit in my library until needed.

Oh btw, the sale expires in about 44 hours from 12/18/14 15:30 cst (2130z). So about 12/20/14 at 11am cst (1700z).

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Hi,

$5 US seems to be quite a bargain. Maybe they hope to make money through addons. And as I seem to be becoming more cynical by the day, I'm hoping that real-world weather won't be something that will be an addon. As operational real world weather was included by default in FSX you'd think that it not working in the Steam version would be mentioned unless they had something up their sleeve.

The ability to run both versions on the same computer, without conflict, sold me. I've purchased but am holding off installing until I see a few posts with users describing their findings. I may be cynical but I am hoping for the best.

Jim F.

5 bucks seemed like a good investment, should my discs ever fail.

Installed it OK and ran a very short flight around Friday Harbor in the Cub.

Everything seemed "normal".

Have not tried any addons yet and am happy to see the familiar file structure, as expected.

Simple addons like planes and airports should go in with no issues.

Installers will have to be pointed manually until the devs recode their installers. I expect most, if not all addons will work.

I did notice a new folder for FSX-SE for the FSX.cfg and scenery.cfg so it appears at first glance that you can indeed run both Steam and disc at the same time, without one interfering with the other.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

REALLY?? I need to "buy" FSX just to update it? BULL****!!! THIS is barely less then fraud!!!! AS an existing customer of a 40$ PRODUCT, I should have the right to a free update!

Calm down Grasshopper. Steam FSX fixed multiplayer to work with the Steam servers and supplied a WELL known fix for menu crashes. That's about it.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

REALLY?? I need to "buy" FSX just to update it? BULL****!!! THIS is barely less then fraud!!!! AS an existing customer of a 40$ PRODUCT, I should have the right to a free update!

You should get support for a dead product? FSX was updated to handle Steam Multiplayer. Microsoft wants nothing to do with this franchise anymore. Be happy Dovetail gave it new life with functioning multiplayer, smoother gameplay, and are only charging $5 for a nice amount of work.

This is a no brain buy for $5. I had the original for $40 or whatever Deluxe was on day one. This is well worth the extended support and Steam integration.

Sigh.....
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

And should Microsoft ever decide to update FSX then you will get it.

Never argue with idiots.

Hey String,

What's the weather like up in the San Juans?

Jim F.

Always beautiful.

Clear skies in the sim, liquid sunshine in the RW.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Installers will have to be pointed manually until the devs recode their installers. I expect most, if not all addons will work.

I did notice a new folder for FSX-SE for the FSX.cfg and scenery.cfg so it appears at first glance that you can indeed run both Steam and disc at the same time, without one interfering with the other.

I've run all of the installers I've coded for Milviz and Eaglesoft products without any problems.

The only time an installer will encounter a problem is if a side-by-side installation has been made. In such a case, only the "regular FSX" will be found, since a new Registry entry and AppPath Key are created for FSX:SE...

...otherwise, if FSX:SE is installed on a "virgin" computer, it will use the same Registry entry and AppPath that FSX:MS (disk version) uses, so things will just "work" as normal! :cool:

Over the next few weeks I'm going to be updating all of the installers I'm responsible for to allow for three options:

1. FSX:MS or FSX:SE
  2. FSX:SE (side-by-side only)
  3. P3Dv1

So far, with absolutely no tweaks required, I'm seeing on average 20% better frame rates on a somewhat lower spec computer than my normal flightsim machine.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

First of all, you didn't buy your FSX from Dovetail Games, you bought it from Microsoft. So no, you aren't entitiled to a bloody thing.

Secondly, before going off half-cocked, perhaps you should take the time to learn that there is a way to use your existing FSX license to activate a Steam version, or so I've been informed.

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Secondly, before going off half-cocked, perhaps you should take the time to learn that there is a way to use your existing FSX license to activate a Steam version, or so I've been informed.

Has this actually been confirmed? So far all indications I have seen say no. Steam does allow you to add non-Steam games to the list of games in your library, but this isn't the same as actually activating the product on Steam.

Edit: FSX isn't currently in the list of games that can be registered on Steam using an external CD/DVD or product key.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Has this actually been confirmed? So far all indications I have seen say no. Steam does allow you to add non-Steam games to the list of games in your library, but this isn't the same as actually activating the product on Steam.

Edit: FSX isn't currently in the list of games that can be registered on Steam using an external CD/DVD or product key.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

I've been given to understand that this will be done, eventually. After all, it was only released today! :cool:

If that's the case, a lot of people will be demanding refunds!

For $5? I doubt it.

See this link for the 'hint' that it's coming:

https://steamdb.info/sub/47668/

Note this field:

[table]

|-

| status

| | Available (0)

|-

[/table]

Archived