Will addons work on FSX: Steam Edition?

eth32

Hi all, just wanted to ask this quick question after looking at some posts on FSX: Steam Edition and (sadly) not finding any info on addons. I DID see that PilotMag were doing an interview that would include content on addons, but other then that, is there any other info available now to confirm whether or not current addons would be compatible with FSX: Steam Edition. Thanks for your help!

is there any other info available now to confirm whether or not current addons would be compatible with FSX: Steam Edition.

No, your gonna have to wait a coupe days, just like the rest of us.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

They say not. Have a look at this:

Your existing boxed version of FSX will continue to work after the release of FSX: Steam, however future updates will only support the Steam Edition of the simulator. We have made some functional changes to FSX in the development of FSX: Steam, but in terms of content nothing new has been added at this time. We have restored the multiplayer features using Steam capabilities and we have sorted out a number of software problems. However, we do appreciate the current benefits for existing users are modest.

The major change we've made is in replacing the now-defunct Gamespy multiplayer systems with Steam features, enabling multiplayer to work seamlessly once again. Additionally, some outstanding bugs have been resolved and we will be posting more details about them very soon. Our aim was in this first instance has been to ensure that the software will run for as many people as possible rather than radically improving or updating it.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition:
A number of third parties have been involved in the beta program for FSX: Steam Edition and we believe that most add-ons should work, but with such a huge variety of other add-ons available we cannot guarantee that all of them will work.
I doubt very seriously that they rewrote the SDK. If they broke the code that allows our beloved add-ons, they shot themselves in the foot...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

The internal folder/file structure will remain the same. What will change is the root folder path for FSX.exe...

Installers will need to be modified such that they can read the correct path from the Registry key, same as it does now for FSX, P3Dv1, and P3Dv2.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Quoted off their Facebook page from a user asking about add on compatibility...

Dovetail Games: There are so many add-ons currently available for FSX that we cannot promise that all of them will work with no issues. FSX: Steam Edition is installed in a different way to the boxed version and occupies a different location so it is possible that some add-ons may not work, but rest assured that we have made every effort to ensure that as many of them as possible work. Where add-ons do not immediately function with FSX: Steam Edition we will try to work with the community, developer or publisher of the add-on to find the solutions as needed. Again, we cannot promise that 100% of all add-ons released over the history of FSX will work with FSX: Steam Edition, but we are committed to trying.

Everything that conforms to the FSX SDK's should work. However FSUIPC will probably need an update as well as any SimConnect modules.

FSX:SE has a new SimConnect.dll, which is precisely why Pete will have to update FSUIPC.

As a correction to my earlier post, when installed on a 'virgin' system (meaning no FSX ever was installed), all installers will work properly without having to make any changes to the installers.

Only if one chooses to install FSX:MS (disk version) and FSX:SE on the same computer will there be any problem encountered. That is because in such a case FSX:SE creates a new Registry entry and AppPath key.

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

I'm going to make this short and sweet. Avoid STEAM like the plague.

You get what you pay for.

Anyone that buys Steam version of FSX are in

for more headaches then they bargained for.

I'm fairly sure that with your downloads you get tracking software.

Yea I know I'm going to get all kinds of stuff for this post.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Army Engineer Veteran..Busted for insubordination Nam-1966 :cool:

Pure Buffalo Cookies. You heard it here first...

hi. all my 3rd party stuff works with fsx/steam, even capt sims planes and its weapons work better than my box set. im running 8.1 and steam updated fsx for it and fsx runs better. for me well worth the 5 bucks. I also like that sometimes I have to reinstall fsx, and then start over again and reinstall all my 3rd party stuff. with steam/fsx , just for fun of it, I delete steam/fsx and reinstalled steam/fsx and all the 3rd party stuff was there and ready to fly. the only issue I have is that abacus premier collection installer wont work. it says that its not compatable with steam/fsx and it crashes the game, so those planes wont load. other abacus stuff works, like there flight deck 6 missions works great and I got 150 fps with there missions. I did e-mail abacus to see if theres a way to get premier installer dll to work but they have not got back to me yet. robert

• 6 months later...
So is Steam better than the box set? Do you have to uninstall the box set of fsx before installing the steam version? Or will it just update ethe steam version? I heard the steam version will use more cpu cores than the box set which only uses one core of a multi core cpu....???? Thanks

I have to say; when this “Steam” business started I felt it to be nothing other than the manufactures passing on to the user the outlay of expense for disks, printing, packaging and the like, they are saving millions.

I’m with you on this one, never liked the idea and never will.

In case you care, the FSDT gang's FSX BA Hornets, including Peter's FSXBA NH, FSX, and CS models all work perfectly in Steam.

Their Couatl, AICairriers.NET, and vLSO (grumpy, grumbly, mean, nasty, LSO's they are, too!) also work perfectly, as do the various carrier add-ons available for FSX. I've tried and use them all.

Also, the newer HUD by Jivko Rusev for the Hornets, and Dino's T-45 and F-14 for FSX, works flawlessly. Oddly, Dino's F-14 and T-45 work great too.

Hope all that adds a little to your "Add-on's that work well" list.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

In case you care, the FSDT gang's FSX BA Hornets, including Peter's FSXBA NH, FSX, and CS models all work perfectly in Steam.

Their Couatl, AICairriers.NET, and vLSO (grumpy, grumbly, mean, nasty, LSO's they are, too!) also work perfectly, as do the various carrier add-ons available for FSX. I've tried and use them all.

Also, the newer HUD by Jivko Rusev for the Hornets, and Dino's T-45 and F-14 for FSX, works flawlessly. Oddly, Dino's F-14 and T-45 work great too.

Hope all that adds a little to your "Add-on's that work well" list.

Pat☺

But can you make Nice landings with them?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I agree with you edwarosmith, this Steam business is just not right. I bought Flight Sim X and now they want me to buy it again? That smells funny. I'm trying to get add ons to work with it and, well, just as I expected it's a futile effort.

I agree with you edwarosmith, this Steam business is just not right. I bought Flight Sim X and now they want me to buy it again? That smells funny. I'm trying to get add ons to work with it and, well, just as I expected it's a futile effort.

No, they don't expect you to buy it again. If you already have FSX installed and running fine, there is no need to buy the Steam edition, unless you want to use the fixed multiplayer functionality. Many did buy it, however, as it was cheap insurance against lost or damaged discs. All that happened is that Dovetail took over the distribution of the sim from Microsoft, and Steam is where most PC games are sold these days.

... I felt it to be nothing other than the manufactures passing on to the user the outlay of expense for disks, printing, packaging and the like, they are saving millions.

Wrong. The customers are saving the expense for disks, printing, packaging and the like. My version of FSX-SE cost me £3.99 (about US$6.25)

No one wanted you to buy it again. You chose to buy it. Incidentally, why did you buy it?

But can you make Nice landings with them?

On a carrier, I personally can make a nice landing about 3/8 tries, FCLP, 5/10, but at a shore installation, I can make a pretty NICE landing 7/8 tries :D

Of course, a lot depends on how NICE the airport might be and which runway I use...

STOP ME BEFORE I PUN AGAIN!!!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived