Want To Create WWII in FS2004

LTCSZ

Hi: I have a wild hair and need some advice...I have installed a clean, virgin, untouched version of FS2004 onto a separate hard drive...I want to create a WWII scenario in this install of FS2004...(Not combat)...I plan on having WWII airfields, AI WWII planes, vehicles, etc...I need some advice on how to begin...Are there any sceneries that will add many airfields at once or will I have to do it individually? Can anyone recommend a good series of WWII sceneries to use? I hope you get the idea of what I want to try to do...Thanks for the help!

Steve

I found, long ago, and I believe on either AvSim or here, a file with "World War II Naval Air Stations" scenery in it. Do I know the zipfile name? 'Course not! it was a while back, but it's a good scenery. I would just do a search for the name, and I bet it shows up. Having said that, it has one teensy little problem. It tends to work against, rather than with, other addon sceneries, so if you have a third party scenery of any of the stations it covers, you have to uncheck one of the two, the WWII stuff, or the other TP Addon, in the FS9 Scenery Library. I haven't tried it with GoldenWings yet...

I'll keep looking and see if I can find the zipfile...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

found it! right here on Flightsim..."aship_j.zip" is the file name, I just did a search for "World War II Naval Air Stations" (no quotes, naturally) and it popped right up :D

Hope it helps. I think it's mostly California and Oregon stuff, including Tillamook as it was, not as it is, so it interferes with the third party addon for it. That's the one that clued me in to the whole "one or the other" thing.

Anyway, there is some stuff for San Diego Naval Airstation, again, as it was, not is, so just some quick, easy searching can yield huge and lotsa results :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

There is a series of RAF bases by Ian Elliot and some more by Cees Donker, these will give you about two dozen airbases scattered around Great Britain. (If you use a UK mesh other than default you may need to weak some of these to get them level on the terrain.)

There are 1930's depictions of many German airports, but Luftwaffe bases are few.

I remember seeing a library of assorted WWII era vehicles for use with scenery design software.

For AI aircraft I often seek FS2000 or FS2002 aircraft, they usually have a lower poly count so don't affect frame rates as badly as newer models (fly them yourself in FS9 first to make sure everything works ...landing gear and props sometimes don't). There is a large variety of WWII aircraft for these sims since CFS and CFS2 aircraft worked in them with little to no tweaking.

As I'm working on the same project since a couple of months, I did a lot of searches to find approriated sceneries. Unfortunately you won't find scenery packages like for vintage period (Golden Wings) or classic era (CalClassic). But here some suitable propositions:

- 1943 South Atlantic Route Scenery (Flightsim)

- Tinian Island (Fligthsim)

- Vintage London Airports (Fligthsim)

- Allied Airfields 1941-45 (Flightsim) - a.k.a. "Over the Hump"

- 1945 - Harry Levy's Flight (Avsim)

- Hawker Hurricane IId "The Tin Opener" Package (Simviation) . rather a combat scenery

- Rangsdorf Airfield (Avsim) - known from "Operation Walkyrie"

- Wolfi's Object Library (Sim-Outhouse)

You also might find a lot of older RAF bases - meanwhile I have about more than thirty of such bases.

An other possibility is to use some airports from classic era and delete the inapprobriated objects. So f.i. you could use

- Berlin Tempelhof (CalClassic) - than the most important in Europe (unfortunately!)

- Munich Riem (CalClassic)

- Paris Le Bourget (CalClassic)

Golden Wings isn't quite suitable as it depictes an early period of aviation.

As you see, it will ask a lot of historical and web searches. But you easily will find further airfields like Floyd Bennett, Key West and so on.

Bernard

Where does one get the Golden Wings things now? The two websites I have for Bill Lyons are both down and I haven't had much luck searching for Custom Classics or Golden Wings because they are used in too many connotations. Are the old GW files available anywhere? I found 3 or 4 planes here but not all the scenery packs.

You first take a maniac in Berlin ...... add a dictator in Moscow ...... a few pacifists in Europe ..... stir vigorously ..... and voila' ...... a World War II!

At least the germans attempt to mess with the red army paid off in 1945!

Archived