Advice and comments on which scenery is best for FSX

UK 2000 for extreme airports if you only want one or UK2000 Vfr Airfields which comes in three volumes for all airports in England.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

Orbx isn't real scenery it might look pretty but it's crude in representing England or should I say what England really looks like. Of course if your not bothered with the scenery being geographically correct then go for Orbx, it just dosen't cut it for me. I used to have Just Flights VFR Photo scenery but it's colours are all washed out, then I discovered Playsims/Horizon VFR it's in a different league to anything else.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

Each product is different to suit tastes of different users - Horizon's is flat photoscenery "coming to life" at higher altitudes only and lacks 3D autogen objects like trees, points of interest, buildings, etc. and landclass (rivers, townships, vegetation, soil types) whereas Orbx is a mix of all of the above. UK2000's is limited to airfields/airports but is compatible with Orbx areas for UK.

So, it's up to you to make a choice...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Each product is different to suit tastes of different users - Horizon's is flat photoscenery "coming to life" at higher altitudes only and lacks 3D autogen objects like trees, points of interest, buildings, etc. and landclass (rivers, townships, vegetation, soil types) whereas Orbx is a mix of all of the above. UK2000's is limited to airfields/airports but is compatible with Orbx areas for UK.

So, it's up to you to make a choice...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

You can get "Trees" for the Horizon scenery. Can't remember offhand who makes it, but it's supposed to be pretty good at giving the scenery a better 3d look at lower altitudes.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

As they say, Your experience may differ.

I've used VFR Real Scenery a lot & it is great for VFR or even long range IFR well above the deck. But looks really strange 500AGL.

I know Orbx isn't photo level. But they sure have a lot of great detail, for low altitude flying like in a chopper or STOL. (Check out their details of things like lifts on canals. Or facilities at airports.)

I have both types loaded on my computers. Depending on what flying I'm doing that day, I can choose one or the other by changing my scenery library priority. Yes it's a pain to do it that way.

I have two computers on FSX. One is primarily used for long range flying with the Yoke. The other for the chopper and STOL flights with the Joystick. I usually keep ORBX as the priority on one computer and VFR on the other.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I've been out the game for sometime and just starting to catch up on developments.I have the playsims photo scenery and have seen just flights revolution x which says it places 3D autogen on photo scenery whether playsim, just flight or tile proxy.The photos look ok but with only two reviews its difficult to form an opinion.But it may be worth a punt.

Other than that maybe Orbx will update their England product to reflect what the UK simmers would accept as fairly accurate.

I had Just Flight Photo Scenery for Northern England and found it to be drab and too greenish! I then got VFR Generation X scenery for Northern England and "What a difference!" I now have all 10 VFR Gen X regions covering the whole of the UK including Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland! I also have ORBX FTX Global,Vector,Landclass EUR, Global 2010 mesh plus FTX England & Scotland!

Now! Differencies! Photo Realistic scenery is just that! A photo! However, as it is truly realistic scenery, you can navigate VFR, find and fly over your house and local flying club airfield etc! Great for practicing your Solo X/Country flying just before your PPL GFT!

ORBX is pretty eye candy but not always realistic, so you can't fly VFR with it! For instance, Perranporth Beach, Cornwall has a row of terraced houses on it! The White Cliffs of DOVER are GREY! There are houses on top of INGLEBOROUGH in the YORKSHIRE DALES NATIONAL PARK! I could go on! BUT!!! ORBX put 3D objects in the scenery which make it much more pleasant to fly over! In the real world, flying out of my old flying club (SHERBURN EGCJ UK), we would use the 3 power stations for reference! (FERRYBRIDGE,EGGBOROUGH AND DRAX)! In the Photo scenery you can't do that, but in the ORBX scenery they are there bold as brass for all the world to see!

So! I have the best of both worlds. HORIZON and ORBX produce excellent scenery, each with a different slant on things if you like. Some people prefer one to the other, but I enjoy both for the reasons stated.

As someone already said, PAPUA NEW GUINEA from ORBX is absolutely fantastic and extremely immersive! I got it in October and have since managed to land (Safely) at all 9 bush strips, but I keep going back with different aircraft! The latest (Freebie) from ORBX is AYEO EMO MISSION PNG. I just can't leave this alone! If you like a Bush challenge you'll love this. I think you need FTX PNW for this which I have. The ORBX web site 'Full Terrain' has all the info & screenshots if you need any more information.

BTW - ORBX use Photo Realistic Scenery too! They just happen to put wallpaper & 3D objects on it!

Bush aircraft I use for PNG - Pilatus PC6 Porter Turboprop, Carenado C208B Gnd Caravan Turboprop, RealAir Beech Duke Turbine & Quest Kodiak Turboprop!

Louie

get rid of that photo scenery. . I used to have just flights VFR and then found Orbx.

Brings FSx into the 21st century. beautiful stuff, the Papa new guinea bush flying is awesome!

I had Just Flight Photo Scenery for Northern England and found it to be drab and too greenish! I then got VFR Generation X scenery for Northern England and "What a difference!" I now have all 10 VFR Gen X regions covering the whole of the UK including Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland! I also have ORBX FTX Global,Vector,Landclass EUR, Global 2010 mesh plus FTX England & Scotland!

Now! Differencies! Photo Realistic scenery is just that! A photo! However, as it is truly realistic scenery, you can navigate VFR, find and fly over your house and local flying club airfield etc! Great for practicing your Solo X/Country flying just before your PPL GFT!

ORBX is pretty eye candy but not always realistic, so you can't fly VFR with it! For instance, Perranporth Beach, Cornwall has a row of terraced houses on it! The White Cliffs of DOVER are GREY! There are houses on top of INGLEBOROUGH in the YORKSHIRE DALES NATIONAL PARK! I could go on! BUT!!! ORBX put 3D objects in the scenery which make it much more pleasant to fly over! In the real world, flying out of my old flying club (SHERBURN EGCJ UK), we would use the 3 power stations for reference! (FERRYBRIDGE,EGGBOROUGH AND DRAX)! In the Photo scenery you can't do that, but in the ORBX scenery they are there bold as brass for all the world to see!

So! I have the best of both worlds. HORIZON and ORBX produce excellent scenery, each with a different slant on things if you like. Some people prefer one to the other, but I enjoy both for the reasons stated.

As someone already said, PAPUA NEW GUINEA from ORBX is absolutely fantastic and extremely immersive! I got it in October and have since managed to land (Safely) at all 9 bush strips, but I keep going back with different aircraft! The latest (Freebie) from ORBX is AYEO EMO MISSION PNG. I just can't leave this alone! If you like a Bush challenge you'll love this. I think you need FTX PNW for this which I have. The ORBX web site 'Full Terrain' has all the info & screenshots if you need any more information.

BTW - ORBX use Photo Realistic Scenery too! They just happen to put wallpaper & 3D objects on it!

Bush aircraft I use for PNG - Pilatus PC6 Porter Turboprop, Carenado C208B Gnd Caravan Turboprop, RealAir Beech Duke Turbine & Quest Kodiak Turboprop!

Louie

Thanks for the info.

Visit the ORBX website and forums,

View the videos, see the detail in the airfields.

Photoscenery cannot match that on the best day of its life, nor can it interact with the weather or seasons

I fly in and out of Goodwood and Popham, Fairoaks and Thruxton in real life. Photoscenery is a POS compared to FTX Regional representation. Yes there are glitches, but for a real world near-experience of a working airfield in its representative environment, it cannot currently be touched.

Note I do say FTX REGIONAL + Specific Airfield, not Global + Vector + OpenLC EU - that's a step along the path but has limitations as photoscenery has.

For the record here's my Tiger Moth over Henley-on-Thames using Horizon VFR Photographic Scenery Generation X with the Treescapes program added.

Buildings are 2D pancake-flat but you don't notice from this height. Hills and contours are there, and the Treescapes program adds 3D trees which really brings it to life-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-TMothb.gif

Everything is in its proper place (roads, railways, rivers etc) so I keep atlas pages like this open on my desk in front of me to navigate around by eyeball for fun-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-henleyb.gif

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/search/vfr-generation-x

For the record here's my Tiger Moth over Henley-on-Thames using Horizon VFR Photographic Scenery Generation X with the Treescapes program added.

It's simply a 2D photo of the ground and all buildings are pancake-flat but you don't notice from this height. Hills and contours are there, and the Treescapes program adds 3D trees which really brings it to life-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-TMothb.gif

Everything is in its proper place (roads, railways, rivers etc) so I keep atlas pages like this open on my desk in front of me to navigate around by eyeball for fun-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-henleyb.gif

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/flight-simulation-c499/scenery-add-ons-c543/vfr-photographic-scenery-fsx-c544/vfr-photographic-scenery-generation-x-volume-1-southern-england-and-south-wales-for-fsx-p2760

Thanks for the info.

get rid of that photo scenery. . I used to have just flights VFR and then found Orbx.

Brings FSx into the 21st century. beautiful stuff, the Papa new guinea bush flying is awesome!

Finall....discovered Papua New Guinea or as advertised its in Orbx - FTX: PI AYPY Jacksons International Airport.

I note that before loading this scenery; you need to first load ORBX Global scenery which appears to be available in Regions; many thanks to you all for your valued comments; Happy Christmas and a very happy FSX New Year.

Don't forget to check out Youtube vids. This is an interesting one because it's a split-screen comparison of VFR Gen X (as in my Tiger Moth pic) and OrbX.

Surprisingly OrbX has no beaches or breaking waves along the coastline in this vid.

It does however seem to have plenty of 3D buildings scattered around which VFR Gen X doesn't have.

OK, direct comparison with FTX England, same location

2014-12-22_18-4-33-206.jpg

But as you can't use your photoscenery in the actual season we are in right now, I also broke realism and did it in summer

2014-12-22_18-6-14-112.jpg

These are not specially set up shots, these are exactly as I see them in-sim - but it is P3D not FSX because, patient as I am, even I'm not reinstalling a time-served obsolescent bit of software for exactitude.

I think the weakness of photo-scenery is obvious. What you don't see is the moving cars, the refraction of the water, the dynamic shadows rather than the awful fixed-as-photographed flat ground shots.

what you also don't' see are the airfields which are a far better indication of 'realism': The FTX Region airfields cannot be used with photoscenery, and good as UK2000 are, they are at least a generation behind in terms of detailing, texturing, and animated activity provided by the FTX addons.

If you're still not convinced, then try a couple of videos from Compton Abbas

First sim life

Then real life

Don't forget to check out Youtube vids. This is an interesting one because it's a split-screen comparison of VFR Gen X (as in my Tiger Moth pic) and OrbX.

Surprisingly OrbX has no beaches or breaking waves along the coastline in this vid.

It does however seem to have plenty of 3D buildings scattered around which VFR Gen X doesn't have.

Excellent Video scenery comparison.

Archived