Next gen console flying (with virtual cockpits)

Thinfish

Hi all,

I see Rockstar have added virtual cockpits in their GTA-5 series for XBox-One and PS4.

(Sample video enclosed).

And as you probably know, GTA5 has finally been announced for the PC -so plenty of scope for flight-based mods etc; plus a chance to finally fix the dreaded helicopter wobble :-).

As a long-term user of FSX I'm all in favour of the GTA series expanding its virtual flying with each new series, especially since millions of teenagers play this open-world game regularly and many will naturally develop a deeper interest in flight simulators and flying as a result.

Lear take-off (start of video)

Lear - City flight and landing

20 Float-Planes - formation fun

Big wow!

I got the PS4 version the week it came out. Really enjoyed the flight school training thing. But I still haven't managed to find my way onto the tarmac to steal a commercial jet, though I did find the military.

So far it looks amazing. The scenery is out of this world. Nothing like it in FSX. Everything down to the runway lights themselves are true 3D. But I think overall this is the first version that if you treat it like a sim it will behave as such. Though that wobble on the helo's is one big wind effect! I'll have to wait an see the PC mods before jumping into that version.

Hi AC.

Glad you're enjoying GTA5 on PS4. I haven't bought it yet but will probably wait for the PC version, or else wait till the console price drops to below £300 here in the UK.

Re flying from an airport. Maybe find a copter then land beside a commercial jet.

The new graphic and weather engines sure looks nice...

Flying skills

Heli sunset flight

GTA weather/storm (new) - amazing

More weather..plus....

Re flying from an airport. Maybe find a copter then land beside a commercial jet.

I should try that actually. The first thing I did was buy the airport so I have a couple of aircraft already in my hangar. Still I'm sure I can find a helicopter closer to the city.

The graphics are amazing in all the true next gen games. All that video memory goes a long way in having textures that aren't compressed and off color. But the hardware was tailor made for open worlds, so I'm hoping Dovetail Games tries to make the next FS work on these consoles.

... I'm hoping Dovetail Games tries to make the next FS work on these consoles.

I hope so as well. Can you plug in usb joysticks and keyboards into the PS4?

I Never realised you could actually 'buy' an entire airport in GTA ;-)

BTW. I found this new GTA video featuring probably one of the most amazing virtual flights ever...

Water Landings and Crazy Approaches in First Person Mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sV0r_wj148

BTW. I found this new GTA video featuring probably one of the most amazing virtual flights ever...

That is the ugliest Beaver I have ever seen.

The VC is a joke, it looks nothing like a real plane. It has a stick instead of a yoke.

THe exterior shots showed no, or very little, control surface animation.

The flight dynamics looked extremely unrealistic. I especially liked the abrupt heading changes with no roll.

Beavers are great STOL planes, yet there is no way one could pull off that stuff in a real plane.

But the graphics looked great (not the plane, the scenery) if that is what is important to you.

And I bet you still cannot fly the thing to Seattle if you wanted to.

Still a game, not a simulator.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I hope so as well. Can you plug in usb joysticks and keyboards into the PS4?

I Never realised you could actually 'buy' an entire airport in GTA ;-)

No keyboard/mouse. Surprising since so many people prefer that for first person shooters. They do allow steering wheels, and even certain games allowed a flight stick. I guess anything to keep you from actually using it as a home computer. First you get the keyboard and mouse, next you'll be wanting to browse the internet ..

The Dodo was actually the first aircraft in the entire series, Vice City. Now that had the best dynamics, you literally had to have a huge run just to get airborne, but once you did the only way to gain altitude was by rocking the wings. Made life difficult! But it looks sweet now... unfortunately the Dodo is only available to folks who bought the PS3/Xbox360 version of the game and are upgrading. Give it sometime, and they'll either offer it for cash, or it'll just magically appear, who knows maybe in time for the PC release.

... First you get the keyboard and mouse, next you'll be wanting to browse the internet ..

:rolleyes::D Too true.

I agree with you that the Beaver/Dodo plane looks good. But more importantly of course is the immersive 'real-world- experience you get in GTA5. In the old-days when I 'flew' FS9 and X-Plane etc:, the flight scenery (and towns and cities) was something you just looked at from the comfort of your plane - it was a largely sterile landscape and airspace with little or nothing to interact with - which hardly inspired me to fly long distance to Scotland or Seattle since there was nothing much there except hills, lit-up runways and ghost buildings and ai planes.

....GTA5 on the other hand has a multi-layered interactive environment which you can fly around in and land, then step out into that virtual world and walk about and interact with airport personnel and vehicles etc, then jump into another plane, copter, car, taxi, truck, motorbike or boat etc if you like, or else just walk around the city or countryside free-roaming until you hit an airport or dirt runway to take-off from again. Or skydive from your plane into a town or city or airport..or whatever you might do in real life.

And all of this on a gaming console! Its amazing. Granted there's room for improvement and refinement, but Rockstar has an entire virtual city-full of vehicles to develop as well as the aviation side, and therefore the pace of progress will be slower.

And as you said once: the flight dynamics in GTA has been dumbed down so as your average teen can take-off and land more easily. But I think once the PC version comes out there will be lots of room for improving and tweaking such things, plus joysticks will enable smoother handling and views etc. And of course future releases of GTA will expand the virtual flying experience even more. The sky is the limit..until they add space stations.

Regarding sticks versus yokes that someone mentioned. I think Rockstar prefer the more macho-looking stick control to the yoke since sticks are used in many military planes, and also in the Airbus380 etc. So perhaps sticks are the future ;-)

Anyway, just my tuppence worth. As you know I don't own GTA ..but as a long term flight-simmer of over 10 years I'm very impressed with it, and I reckon the future of flightsims will be an open interactive world similar to what we glimpse in GTA-5 today..but even bigger and better. Imagine actually flying to a GTA-style Seattle.

As for the debate about whether GTA is a game or not. Well as I've said before, GTA is an open world interactive environment which features the ability to walk around, drive, fly, swim, play golf, or even take part in a set storyline if you wish. I've personally never played any games in GTA5 -I've just flown and driven around, but funnily enough I have played games in FSX when trying the Red Bull challenges etc (which I did quite enjoy).

Meanwhile, I found these new vids....

Float-plane (nice control surfaces).....

[

Various aircraft..including helis..flown by a newb

Insane stunt flight mk2...

Here's quite a creative 'commercial' from a young flyer....

Just walking around

Oh sweet now I know where to find the Beaver! That's actually the airport you can buy, each plane that you steel as long as you park it inside the hangar, it'll be available to you later.

That first person view goes a long way. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they are going back to the horse and buggy era for their next game.

Archived