Can't install FS2004 aircraft files.

GeorgiaRacer

I am using Firefox on a new Asus computer and I am not used to either one. I can not install aircraft files. I do not know how to set up the extraction to the aircraft folder. Also on another subject...in the game, if you can call it that.. the aircraft picture that usually spins around is not showing up. The little screen is all black.

Thanks for any help you can give.

GeorgiaRacer.

Well, the problem is NOT due to Asus or Firefox. They have nothing to do with any part of aircraft installations.

What you need is WinZip or 7Zip so that you can extract the compressed ('zipped') files so that FS9 can 'read' the files ('folders' with files inside, actually) which comprises the 'install'. It might be 'new' but it is not hard to learn. Go to youtube and enter 'How To Install Aircraft in Flight Simulator' (or similar) as there is no 'manual' for any MS flight simulator 'aircraft installation'.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Extract the aircraft to a temp folder or to the desktop, then move those folders to the correct locations in FS9. (It's never a good idea to extract anything directly into the game, you never know what may be overwritten, or what unnecessary junk may be added.)

As for the black view screen, play around with the vid driver AA settings, particularly mode (wide tent, narrow tent, etc.). This cured the problem on my system.

.in the game, if you can call it that.. the aircraft picture that usually spins around is not showing up. The little screen is all black.

This is a known issue with Win 8 when in Full Screen Mode. If you need to see the preview switch to Windowed Mode by pressing Alt+Enter.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks fellows, I'm not sure how to do some of the instructions you made because of my un- familarity with Windows 8.1. As for the aircraft preview suggestion, it worked, but I have to switch back and forth from the preview and the selected program. I used 7Zip when I used WinXP. I had over 250 aircraft in my hanger and it worked just fine, but I can't get it to work with Win 8.1. I think my problems is with Win8.1. Thanks again for your advice. GeorgiaRacer

Let's hope that when Windows 9 comes out the only known issue isn't that FS9 doesn't work at all. Well, its got to happen one day :(

Dijvid

At some point in the future there will be a "DOSBox" type program for people to run all those old games like FSX.

At some point in the future there will be a "DOSBox" type program for people to run all those old games like FSX.

Well I would doubt that would be financially feasible for a manufacturer. How many people, for example, would buy a DOSBox in order to run the very early versions of our sim? It would be fascinating for about 15 minutes and then we would get fed up with the total lack of realism and all those blocky graphics.

Dijvid

I have found some FS9 (2004) installers to not be able to run on Windows 7 machines. Even running as administrator, they try to make file changes inside the C:\user\ folder that Win 7 does not allow.

Turn off UAC and run the installer as administrator to solve this.

Well, ancient it may be (by computer standards, anyway), but I've been using FS2004 ACOF since it first came out, and still am, and will continue to do so as long as I can. Maybe I'm just ancient myself, I dunno.

By the same token, it wasn't so long ago when the Star Trek game on the teletype machine was top-of-the-line. Fortunately, once we had access to the teletype, we also had access to everyone's grades too, for all classes. Just dial, and I mean dial literally, the correct phone number and put the handset into the teletype's cradle, and away it went! Not that we would ever alter them, oh no no no!

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Napamule

I have used 7Zip in the past but with WinXP. I am using Win8.1 now but I do not know how to get around in it. I would like to use 7Zip again and I don't know how in Win8.1.Could you or some other Win8.1 whizard explain step by step how to use 7Zip. I have it downloaded but do not know what to do next. I have been able to download some aircraft files and installed them in the game, but I have had trouble with some guages loading. P-38J and H-295 Helio super courier will not load guages. Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

GeorgiaRacer

Well, ancient it may be (by computer standards, anyway), but I've been using FS2004 ACOF since it first came out, and still am, and will continue to do so as long as I can. Maybe I'm just ancient myself, I dunno.

Same here! And proud to be ancient :cool:

Dijvid

Hi, Napamule

I have used 7Zip in the past but with WinXP. I am using Win8.1 now but I do not know how to get around in it. I would like to use 7Zip again and I don't know how in Win8.1.Could you or some other Win8.1 whizard explain step by step how to use 7Zip.

I don't wish to appear unhelpful or unsympathetic but why not install Windows 7 on your PC? It's not compulsory to use Win8 !!

Dijvid

Oh for crying out loud. The OP doesn't need a new or different operating system. Or to turn off UAC or run the 7Zip as admin. But he does need to maybe revise where he installed FS9, as installing in Program Files folder leads to Win 7 and Win 8/8.1 'balking' at any 'outside' program making ANY changes to ANY files if under 'Program Files' folder.

First he needs to install to 'C:\FS9' (root folder, which CAN be 'D:' or 'E:' or 'X:' drives).

Then he needs to make a 'Temp for Installs' folder. Then dbl click 7Zip and highlight all the files, check 'Use Folder Names' (or simular) and extract to that temp folder.

Then he needs to copy or move the gauges to GAUGES folder so that the sim can find/use them otherwise they don't 'load'. Dah. Same thing for the other folders.

Any readme txt or ID_Diz or jpg files can then be put into a 'Docs & Pics' folder (which you create under main aircraft folder) so they are available for reference and thus not scattered all over the place. Neatness counts. That's it. (Use my head...hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Racer,

Happy New Year. I predict you will learn a lot of narly things this year (hehe).

For starters you installed FS9 (same goes for FSX) under 'Program Files (x86)'. That 'action' alone is 100% Guaranteed to cause you PROBLEMS (disguised as 'errors').

And you would get the 'Google it' (7zip) or some nebulous attempt to explain it here. I did the next best thing. I went to YouTube for HowTo videos. Here are the links:

Win 8 zip tutorial: 2 minute:

How to use 7zip: 2 1/2 minute:

You would be surprised just how much info is available, on ANY subject, at YouTube. Some of it is really bad, but pick out a likely sounding title from right pane choices. The other is off course Google. So no need to buy a 'Windows 8' How-To-Guide' ($14.99). Use my head.

Chuck B

Napamule

Archived