What parameter do I need to change?

shanwick

In one aircraft that I fly I need to turn the yoke quite a bit to left or right to initiate a turn whilst in another only a very small turn of the yoke is required to get exactly the same rate of turn of the aircraft.

Does anyone know what parameter I need to look at to change this or is it more deeply buried in the overall dynamics of an aircraft?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Dijvid

Hello,

You can also check this section in aircraft.cfg

[flight_tuning]

elevator_effectiveness = 1

aileron_effectiveness = 1

rudder_effectiveness = 1

elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1

Compare with other aircrafts ... change values ... test ....

Regards.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a/bye.gif

If you gave a couple of monkeys a box of ballpoints, enough paper, and enough time, they'd eventually finish up writing the complete works of Shakespeare :)

Yes, the effectiveness parameters in the aircraft.cfg are the first things to check. The values can be related to percentage, "1" = 100%, so 0.95 would be 95%, 1.10 would equal 110%. Arguably there is no "correct" value here, you're basically balancing the designed aircraft values to your controller.

I can live with the "problem" though, it's just that I was more curious than anything else.

Ta!!

Dijvid

Actually, it's not a problem at all. In fact, it's more realistic. Would you expect a B777 to have the same turn characteristics as a Pitts S-2C? Of course not. But .... you might be talking about the same aircraft model from two different sources .... in which case ..... it could be considered a "problem" in one and possible both of said aircraft. Not knowing which type of aircraft you are talking about ..... one can only speculate at this time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think you mean "rate of roll" vice rate of turn.

Rate of turn (degrees per second heading change) is a function of bank angle and true airspeed. Aircraft type does not matter.

Rate of roll is change of bank angle per second - a function of aircraft design determined by aileron effectiveness, roll stability and roll inertia among other things.

I think you mean "rate of roll" vice rate of turn.

Rate of turn (degrees per second heading change) is a function of bank angle and true airspeed. Aircraft type does not matter.

Rate of roll is change of bank angle per second - a function of aircraft design determined by aileron effectiveness, roll stability and roll inertia among other things.

Ya ..... what you said .... except I don't agree that rate of turn = aircraft type does not matter.

You ever hear of momentum ...... which includes something called "mass"? ..... so F-22 has same rate of turn as B-1 at same bank angle and true airspeed?

.... back in your court .....

BTW ..... NOT talking about Standard Rate of Turn

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BTW ..... NOT talking about Standard Rate of Turn

Wing load :)

BTW for aileron effectiveness...

aileron_effectiveness = 1

Put 0 as value and check what will happens :)

If you gave a couple of monkeys a box of ballpoints, enough paper, and enough time, they'd eventually finish up writing the complete works of Shakespeare :)

This thread has gone off-beam somewhat.

Of course I know that the rate of roll or turn or whatever it is you wish to call it - let's not split hairs on it - is not going to be the same for all aircraft. What I was asking is why I have to yank my yoke a lot to the left to achieve a turn in one aircraft but just tweak it a little in another aircraft.

Dijvid

Sorry but we need to know which two aircraft you mean

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

This thread has gone off-beam somewhat.

Of course I know that the rate of roll or turn or whatever it is you wish to call it - let's not split hairs on it - is not going to be the same for all aircraft. What I was asking is why I have to yank my yoke a lot to the left to achieve a turn in one aircraft but just tweak it a little in another aircraft.

Dijvid

Off-beam because need more input from you ........ insufficient data ....... no logical reply can be assembled ..... going to standby power ......

HAL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So, both single engine light aircraft, one high-wing and one low wing - should be about the same yoke response in sim (if not in real life). I presume you're investigating your sticky yoke issue from your other thread? If so you might want to order something like this:

http://catalog.antiseize.com/item/lubricants-penetrants2/ptfe-spray-light-coat-dry-lubricant-and-release-ag/17075-1

I've never tried it but someone Stateside may be able to comment.

Just to eliminate that issue, we could also test these two on our sims - which C172 & PA28 are they?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Tell me whose models you are talking about and I can fix it where the prop WON'T turn at all and the jet will spin-on-a-dime. And please indicate if the models you are talking about have the problem both when in the air and on the ground-in case there is a difference due to contact points as opposed to flight dynamics.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived