FSX Crashes to desktop upon selecting Free Flight Location

ML3109

I am having very frustrating issue with FSX.

I just re-installed my FSX (Deluxe) on a fully functional Windows 7 (AGAIN). It ran as smoothly as ever on "Ultra-High" graphics/scenery settings. However, my problem is that whenever I try to select a "Location" option for a Free Flight, the game crashes to the desktop... without an error message! It's as if the "Change" button for Location is the "X" button to close the program.

I have searched many forums already and could not find a solution to my problem, which is why I am posting here. I should note that I am not a "techy" guy at all, so I am hesitant to download sketchy add-ons and I do not know how to change the configuration of the game's files. Can Someone please help me out?

PS I've had FSX for about 5 years now and have probably gone through the installation/re-installation process at least 20 times without exaggeration. I get so frustrated playing it because every time I try it out there is a different issue - between a defective joystick, lagging, random errors that crash the game mid-flight, trying to figure out how to use autopilot control, etc. - that causes me to stop playing it for months at a time. And believe it or not, the ANCIENT X-Plane 554 has long been my go-to simulator for when I wish to fly in a flight sim. I just want to FINALLY get the most out of FSX because it seems to have very promising potential, but I have yet to get past its technical difficulties, so I've always had to settle for X-Plane 554.

Archived