Is it Possible to Run Prepar3d with Direct X 10?

lehbird

If you are using the GeForce 730 you mentioned in another thread - yes it will work. If you went back to the GTX250 - no it will not.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

If you are using the GeForce 730 you mentioned in another thread - yes it will work. If you went back to the GTX250 - no it will not.

Vic

Thanks. for now yes I am back using the GTX250; I cant get my PC to boot with the 730 installed.

Prepar3d can run on DX 10.1 and DX 10

As of version 2.1, Prepar3D includes limited down-level DirectX 11 support for DirectX 10 and DirectX 10.1 level hardware provided the video card has DirectX 11 drivers. When rendering on down-level hardware, some features will not work:

• Tessellation is not supported. The terrain will not render on a down-level device if Tessellation is enabled in the UI. Tessellation should be disabled unless Prepar3D is running on more than one video card and at least one video card supports DirectX 11. For example a DirectX 11 card can render the terrain in one view while the DirectX 10 card renders a virtual cockpit view. The virtual cockpit view will not show the terrain out the window of the cockpit.
  • Shadows are supported but will not perform as well or look as good

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_help/getting_help.html

In short, it will run, but with a broken leg...

...which is to say, not very well at all!

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Neverthless, Lockheed Martin thought it worthwhile adding that feature.

Unfortunately incorrect. What L-M actually thought (if it's actually possible for a commercial entity to think) it was not worthwhile to do was remove it. Direct X 10 is UNsupported but exists specifically to support secondary monitors

Here's the official word:

There is a DirectX10 fallback mode, but you will have to disable tessellation in order to see the terrain. DirectX10 isn’t officially supported, but the app will try to fall back if it can. There’s no official supported card list. This was added more for people with two cards that want to throw a panel up on a second monitor. I’ve seen it run ok on some older cards – even on d3d10 intel hd chips – but you’ll certainly have to tune all the gpu-heavy settings way down (shadows, volume fog, etc). You could always try it out and get a refund if it doesn’t work. If you want to use the new simulation/training features, you may be able to get by with that card on low settings. If you’re looking for a big graphical upgrade over ESP/FSX/P3Dv1, you’ll need a better GPU because we optimize for current hardware.

B Hollis, Lockheed-Martin

Basically, if you want to run P3D under DX10 you're wasting your time. Use that time to earn some spons to update the card.

As Bill said.

Unfortunately incorrect. What L-M actually thought (if it's actually possible for a commercial entity to think) it was not worthwhile to do was remove it.

Wrong. Lockheed Martin included it with v2.1.

As of version 2.1, Prepar3D includes limited down-level DirectX 11 support for DirectX 10 and DirectX 10.1 level hardware provided the video card has DirectX 11 drivers.

Wrong. Lockheed Martin included it with v2.1.

Seeing as how we are now at v2.4, the relevance of your comment eludes me.However one supposes one cold tae the glass half empty versus the glass half full argument. But I can aussure you that DX10 has not figured in L-M planning since v2.0 except insofar as to provide legacy support as part of the full-scale implementation of DX11:

Zach Heylmun of L-M

Prepar3d did indeed back out the Directx10 preview changes for release. We are currently working on a DirectX 11 rendering system to replace the older DirectX 9 renderer, but it will not be released until Prepar3d 2.0. That being said, we have not had many complaints about the texture swimming or shimmer that you mention. It sounds like an issue with the texture filtering, but most folks don’t have any issues. We develop on both AMD and Nvidia hardware, so it sounds like it may simply be a driver issue. I would make sure that you have the latest drivers, and if you do, try rolling back a few versions and see if you have any luck.

Clearly this indicates that they step-jumped from DX9, which was already outmoded when V1.4 of P3d was released, and leapt straight to DX11. DX10 barely figured in the thinking, except for the limited criterion previously provided.

In any case, the answer remains per Bills' original reply. One does not want to run P3D under DX10. One wants to run FSX under DX10 with the aftermarket tool.

I dont understand the fuss.

Sell a kidney, buy a new card. If you can't make the price of admission there's no point whining about the cost of entry. If not, there's still life in the old FSX and an aftermarket to support its change from DX9 to realistic DX10 support. Go fly that.

The issue is that if you are on a cheapskate budget, then P3d isn't really an option, anyway. Even if the applicant does meet the EULA.

Archived