Zurich default airport terrain black

wyodeacon

Just loaded FSX after a long time with FS9. Everything seems to be working well except that I notice the Zurich LSZH airport terrain is all black. All of the terminals, traffic, etc. is normal. The surrounding terrain is also normal. I tried installing Aerosoft LSZH thinking the terrain would be corrected but it's black too. Apparently I have some kind of a problem with the default scenery? I tried to run a repair but my version of FSX doesn't have the option. Any advice?

Win 7

Dell XPS 8500

3rd Gen Intel Core

12 gb DDR3

Radeon HD7770 2gb GDDR5

Dell XPS 8700 -win 10 - 16 gb DDR3 ram - NVIDIA GeForce 750 ti - Saitek X52 - FSX Deluxe w/acceleration

This is courtesy of fxsttcb:

If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they must be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.

You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

lol....my install disk doesn't give the repair option. I didn't say what I meant.

also Mr Zippy, I do have the sp's and acceleration installed but is there a way to do a repair when it's not on the disk?

Dell XPS 8700 -win 10 - 16 gb DDR3 ram - NVIDIA GeForce 750 ti - Saitek X52 - FSX Deluxe w/acceleration

I have FSX Deluxe and the option doesn't show up. Am I going to have to uninstall and Re-install? Sure hope not as I also have FS Global Base and vector.

OK, That's not good! It's not recognizing the fact that you have FSX installed. Did you finish the installation with the activation process? Is your FSX installed into the default or other location? I wonder if clicking more options will help?

I am actually using it. It did finish the installation and is loaded into Program Files (x86).

I did find this thread where someone was having the same problem but there doesn't seem to be an answer to it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/no-repair-option-on-fsx-instal-disk/8ce5f184-e22c-43d4-ab70-b328c6d08eb1

also, just a thought. I have acceleration installed. Is it possible the repair won't show up until I uninstall it?

That's a possibility! I know that when a repair is done when you have Acceleration you have to repair both, so maybe uninstall Acceleration then try to repair FSX and then reinstall Acceleration.

If you have at some point made a backup of the entire fsx folder, you could try the solution mentioned there. Detail1.bmp is in folder ..\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Texture

If you don't have a backup I think a repair is in order.

I decided to do a test. I disabled Detail1.bmp temporarily by changing the name to Detail1.bmp.bak

I then went to LSZH Zurich airport. Top down view gave this:

LSZH 001.jpg

So this is indeed the file you need to get fixed.

Edit: I'll go test another airport.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, it happens at all airports now.If you have it at only one your situation is different. Are you sure you have no other addon for lszh installed?

I can imagine an addon airport having it's own texture folder with a wrong detail1.bmp in it. Beyond that I'm out of ideas.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've tried a couple of flight sim's downloads to see if I could replace the airport textures that way but it didn't help. I'm pretty sure the scenery is corrupted for this airport but I don't have any backup and not sure what to do.

I assume even the add-on airports still use some of the default texturing and that's why it continues to be bad.

Thanks for taking the time to help. Have a great rest of the thanksgiving day.

I am actually using it. It did finish the installation and is loaded into Program Files (x86).

I did find this thread where someone was having the same problem but there doesn't seem to be an answer to it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/no-repair-option-on-fsx-instal-disk/8ce5f184-e22c-43d4-ab70-b328c6d08eb1

Just to add my two pence worth.

When installing FSX you need to install into a separate folder, not Program Files (x86). You will see my FSX folder location in the image. Also, between each disc installation start FSX and let the default flight run for a few seconds.

Untitled.jpg

Windows 7 Home 64bit - 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD - 2TB Master Hard Drive

Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler

16GB DDR3 2133Mhz Patriot Viper V3 Red Performance/Gaming RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - GSX - FS Cabin Crew - ASN SP5

Just an update: I am slowly re-installing my addon stuff and so far everything looks good. Hopefully the problem won't return. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. Looks like I'll likely never know what was causing the problem but it seems to be fixed.

Archived