Can you help me with the star sid basics and charts?

Overlord

Hello all flight simulator enthusiasts.

I would like to take my flying to another level. With the working Posky 777 and great FMC (jb panel) I'am able to apply changes into flight plan and add/delete some waypoints intersection etc. I would like to leave the airport and approach the airport like in the real world, but I'am really lost with reading all the charts available for airport.

I found very cool webpage with charts for German airports

http://www.vacc-sag.org/airport/EDDF

And for exmaple I would like to know how to leave and approach this specific airport. I'am interrested mostly in the departures I believe it's called SID/STAR and it contains few waypoints which you will fly before you will head to the interesction for example taking off from RWY 07R at EDDF (going east) and heading to the north and at some point you turn left leave the SID/STAR and going west e.g. to the USA.

So I would like to learn this. That I would be able to find points from the chart which I will have to add manually into FMC after I will know the RWY from which I will take off.

If there is somebody who could give me few advices, it would mean a lot to me.

When I was learning how to use the FMC I used this file

http://www.hostarea.de/server-07/Juli-330dfea31f.pdf

but it covers only 2 airports and the charts I found at the german website are different. I have troubles to find the "points" on the map. Points where I have to fly through before I join the jet airways (VOR+interesection) - called HIGH ALT AIRWAYS in FSX planning.

Thank you.

Thanks for the replies I checked the video tutorial and still have troubles with that it's ok when I want to set exactly the same route from KMIA to KSEA but if I want to set e.g. EDDF (Frankfurt) to OMBD (Dubai) I cant find any routes and on this website

http://rfinder.asalink.net/

it's without SID and STAR :(

Only thing how to learn it properly is probably trying different SID and STARS no matter RWY is or direction which you came from is :(

Hi,

rule of thumb is, that the last waypoint of the SID is the first waypoint of your route, and, the last waypoint of your route should be the beginning of the STAR (followed by a transition on the runway where applicable)

So when you have your route, you check which runway is in use and select the SID that ends on or near your route - preferrably the last waypoint is identical. Same goes for the arrival, you check the weather and choose the STAR and transition beginning on or near your route endpoint and ending on the active runway.

A FMC usually knows about the SIDs, STARs and transitions, you should not need to type in every single waypoint - you just select the SID in the FMC for the runway and route according to the chart (a lot of payware aircraft support this, don't know about your freeware version). In a lot of cases it isn't even possible to type in the SIDs waypoints, namely if the SID is not RNAV but normal radio navigation based (check the charts for this). And you have altitude and speed restrictions too, plus radio fixes.

If you want an easy way to select SIDs and STARs (in FSX - a real world chart may not be 100% valid in the sim!), get yourself a flight planning software like FSCommander or an EFB like Aivlasoft.

Best

nuit

Oh, and check the frooglesim videos on youtube. There are some where he explains in detail how the SID and STAR works and how to use it (old fashioned: the DC-9 review, modern times: the fully loaded videos for Q400, 737 NGX or 777)

In the UK a STAR begins with an airway and then the start of an initial navaid on route to the final navaid. for example, a BOVVA STAR at EGLL (Heathrow)s

BOVVA 4A Arrival via L15 ( FL150 to FL190 ), L10 ( FL140 and below ), N615 (FL90 to FL140) to HON VOR continue on HON VOR R141 to TOBID then SOPIT to WCO NDB then turn left onto WCO QDR 117° to BOVVA

Pilots should plan for possible descent clearance as detailed in the table below but ACTUAL DESCENT CLEARANCE WILL BE AS DIRECTED BY ATC

FL150 by SOPIT (Heathrow only)

FL150 by 5NM before SOPIT (Northolt only)

Also aproaches can be made to any runway at EGLL from BOVVA so the choice of STAR is independent of the choice of runway.

HI,

I just took a glance at the PDF you linked with the description of the FMC you're using. I'm afraid that this FMC is not very realistic when it comes to SIDs, STARs and Transitions. If you don't want to go payware (PMDG 777...) you will need to find the plates for Frankfurt and Dubai that describe RNAV procedures only. These should have waypoints on them you can use. But be mindful, that a SID, STAR and Transitions always have at least altitude restrictions you will have to follow, not only waypoints. So you need to be at the required altitude at every waypoint exactly as described on the charts, and if the FMC can't do it (=not VNAV capable), you have to manage this by hand (LNAV is not enough). The altitudes you find on the chart, noted at every waypoint that has a restriction. Syntax is a flightlevel or any number of feet, with a line above it (you have to be at this altitude or below), below it (you have to be at this altitude or above), or lines above and below (you have to be at exactly this altitude).

Archived