i7 4710MQ Procesor performance in FSX.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone was running a laptop with a i7 4710MQ 2.5 GHZ processor?

Full Specs.

1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Mobile Processor (4x 2.5GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

1 x 8GB [8GB x 1] 1600MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory

1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 6GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [P157SM-A]

1 x 1 TB 7200rpm Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive - Single Drive

Win 7 Pro

I just built a spec laptop that has to do everything. The issue I have as a gamer is that I sacrificed the processor for the graphics card. I went with a GTX970M 6GB because of its superior benchmark tests, and I need it to stay relevant for at least 3 years. I love FS but I also need it to Play FarCry 4 the The Crew, Simcity

As I understand it FSX is a processor hungry sim. I also, understand the quad cores do nothing to help FSX. It's all based on the speed of one single core.

I compared my current processor a Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz T5800 and was astounded to find there was not too much difference between it and the 4710MQ which seem odd to me (I'm still not sure I trust CPU boss on this one). I also read that 1 core can be turbo boosted to 3.5 ghz with by using only one core.

Is it relatively simple to turbo boost the processor for FSX?

Right now with a 2.0ghz T5800 C2Duo, 4gb ram, and a GF9600M 512MB. I get 7-10 FPS at major addon airports and 20-30 FPS once i'm over 5000 feet. I also have every addon you can imagine. UTX, REX, UT2, ORBX, FSDT airports, Newer Aerosoft and Flytampa airports. At night my frames are between 6-14FPS between the ground and 5000 ft. My computer has a hard time with the UTX points of light especially in europe.

Right now, I have textures max, autogen sparse, no water/other effects at all, no traffic other than airline traffic (33%) and few boats. I'd like to think my new system would be able to give me back my some of my sliders.

Anyone have first hand experience with this set up or can tell me what I can expect? Or point me to a thread where someone is talking about the processor. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would let people know if you are shopping for a laptop and are interested in whether this is a good system or not.

It's incredible. I never knew how outdated my computer was until I fired up this beast.

I have sliders maxed on almost everything UTX, REX, FTX GLOBAL/regional with 3 night lighting and light bloom on. max detail radius, max weather, max textures. With traffic at 33% (the computer can handle it, but I can't handle being asked to go around)

Even with the notoriously terrible for FPS Posky 777 I can get 20-25 FPS at FSDT LAX and 18-22 at New York Airports X JFK.

The worst frame rate killer I can think of is the Posky 777 with Aerosoft LFPG MA CDG. Even that plays at an acceptable 15-20FPS. In Airbus X or majestic Q400 I get 30-40FPS. My old system was lucky to get over 10FPS.

At Friday Harbor, WA with FTX PAC NW and all sliders Maxed I capped the FPS at 64 and it never stutters. It's incredible. I still can't get over the performance. Its like up until now I have never actually played FSX the way it was meant to be played. Load times are so much faster.

Anyone thinking this laptop is not powerful enough for FSX is not correct. This thing is a beast. Also the Turbo Boost is 100% automatic, no messing with bios no overclocking. Even after hours of flying the cores stayed cool.

The 4710 will do just fine. My advice is to get the 4810 its about 20% faster but you can't beat this GTX970 graphics card for the money.

Archived