Signs of Video Card/Memory Issues???

kevchris

Hello All - I have been experiencing a problem with what I believe may be a graphics card issue - but perhaps someone out there can relate to this issue and/or confirm what is possibly the culprit in my FSX problem.

1. Occasionally, but not always, I land at airports and the buildings are missing. Jetways and AI aircraft are there, but no buildings. If I shut down and re-boot, and load that airport, the buildings usually re-appear.

2. If I attempt to access the FSX menu after a flight has been started, sometimes, but not always, any change to the menu will result in the graphics display either going black, wildly flickering, the aircraft disappears, etc.

3. And this one I just experienced today - while on a normal flight and all seemed to be going well, I suddenly notice that various switches and controls on the panel had disappeared. The throttle levers were gone, the landing lights and some other switches on the overhead panel had disappeared.

Just guessing, but does this sound like a video card failure or a graphics card memory issue???

FYI my present video card is GeForce GTX 580.

Any assistance in solving this frustrating problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

If in your settings the graphics sliders are properly set, then maybe a graphics card may be the culprit. Have you recently remove your computer covers to clean out any dust especially around all of the cooling fans?

This is assuming you have a desktop computer with the processor tower sitting on the floor.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

....Occasionally, but not always, I land at airports and the buildings are missing. Jetways and AI aircraft are there, but no buildings. If I shut down and re-boot, and load that airport, the buildings usually re-appear....

Just a guess but maybe the shutdown allowed your system to cool down a bit and recover, so check for overheating when FSX is running.

You'll want a real time temperature monitor like Core Temp or Real Temp for the CPU.

GPUz will monitor your graphics card and log it if you want. Very useful to tell if your Video card is being pushed near it's limit. The sensors tab gives a trend graph, along with digital info...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Here go:

'An available 6-pin PCI-E power connector and an available 8 pin PCI-E power connector are required. Minimum 600W power supply is required.'

What are your Specs? I would be worried about hard drive (is going?). After that I would suspect loose cable(s) or loose seating of video card in it's slot. After that I would suspect bad stick of ram or just stick(s) being loose (not fully seated).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Could be any of these things, but my first suspect would be heat, so I would give the system a good clean out and following Don's suggestion install coretemp or realtemp and see how the temperatures were going whilst running fsx.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Archived