AFCAD2 question

chasen

Hey guys,

I have multiple FS2004 installs for different time periods. I've run into a problem where I'm trying to create an AF2 file for an old FS2000 MSP scenery. Is there any way to change the directory of FS2004 in AF2 so I can load the airports from the 1995 install I'm trying to edit and lock AF2 to the simulator when I have said 1995 install running? So far, I can't find a way to do this.

Thanks for any help!

If memory serves Afcad reads the FS9 install path from the registry.

Run the Flight1 registry tool to reset the install path to the 1995 FS9 version.

You can get the tool here- http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

As far as locking to the sim, as long as you have FSUIPC in the ...\FS9 1995\Modules folder it should lock on OK.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

If I unterstand correctly, you have several complete FS9 for different time periods. And you will use some Afcad with different installs. You could do a separate addon folder in one of these installs with those Afcad which you would like to share with other installs. Just adapt the right path in scenery.cfg.

BTW, Afcad aren't red from registry, but either from stock airports in Scenery/World/... folders (AP9.....bgl), or from Addons, or from a separate Afcad folder.

Bernard

Afcad aren't red from registry, but either from stock airports in Scenery/World/... folders (AP9.....bgl), or from Addons, or from a separate Afcad folder.

Bernard

And how does Afcad find "Scenery/World/... folders (AP9.....bgl),"?

Never argue with idiots.

It certainly would be to complicated or even impossible to share stock airports with different installs. That's why I suggested to share folders. They could be stock files saved as AF2. But I'm still not shure what the writer is really expecting.

Bernard

OK, I looked at this a bit.

For the sake of discussion let's say we have 2 versions of FS9, we will call them FS9-1 and FS9-2.

Currently Afcad looks for files in FS9-1 and we want to change that to FS9-2.

Seems there is no easy way to make that change.

I suspect Afcad finds the FS9 install path when you first run Afcad, probably from the registry. On subsequent runs Afcad uses files it generates on first run to determine what airports are available. Changing the registry path after Afcad's first run makes no difference.

Changing the registry FS9.exe path to FS9-2 will not force Afcad to look at FS9-2, it will still look at FS9-1.

You might be able to have another install of Afcad for FS9-2 and change the registry entry to point to FS9-2 before you run Afcad-2. What a pain that would be.

Really the main problem is you want to be able to open addon AF2 files from both versions of the sim. Opening default airports does not matter, they would be the same for both versions.

And saving is not an issue as you can point the saved AF2 file to any folder you want.

What I would recommend (other than dumping Afcad and switching to ADE) is when you want to open an existing AF2 file for your 1995 version you use the "From Specific File" option instead of the "From All Scenery" option.

As for locking on, as long as you have FSUIPC.dll in FS9-1995\Modules it will lock on.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

The path just needs to be changed in the ADE9X Environment Checker.

The Environment Checker has not been around for a while, you must be running an old version of ADE.

The current version is 1.65.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

I was running 1.50. As I don't work in FSX and do not own a copy of P3D moving to 1.65 seemed to be a waste, but in the interests of conformity of information, I have installed it.

Still, as the path can easily be changed in 1.65 I would still say ADE9X would be the better choice for this type of work.

I was running 1.50. As I don't work in FSX and do not own a copy of P3D moving to 1.65 seemed to be a waste, but in the interests of conformity of information, I have installed it.

Lots of changes and bug fixes in 1.65 to benefit even FS9 users, not to mention 1.5 is not supported anymore, I think.

Still, as the path can easily be changed in 1.65 I would still say ADE9X would be the better choice for this type of work.

Agreed.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Archived