FS2004 will not start?

rhodges

Over the last three or four days, when I started my computer, then tried to start up FS2004, the little green circle rotates normally for three or four seconds like the FS is starting up, then nothing happens. If click on the FS2004 execution file again, the circle appears for a split second only.

I discovered that if I restarted my computer and gave it another try, FS2004 then would start and performed normally

This morning, I restarted my computer a half dozen times or so, and FS2004 never starts up. No changes have been made and once FS9 did start up, everything seemed to be normal. FSX starts up with no problems.

Has anyone else had the experience and possibly knows a cause and solution without repairing or reinstalling FS2004?

RTH

Primary System Specs:

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2700K CPU

Corsair H80 (CSCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2X4GB) 240 Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC312800) Memory

Windows 7 Premium 64 Bit Operating System

EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 Video Graphics Card

EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512 bigt DDR3 Video Graphics Card

24" Viewsonic VA2431wm LCD Primary Monitor

24" Viewsonic VA2431wm LCD Secondary Monitor

24" Acer LCD Primary Monitor off Secondary Video Card

Nvidia latest version Drivers for Video Cards

1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB System Harddrive

1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB FSX Harddrive

1 each Segate 320GB SATA FS9 Harddrive

1 each Segate 320GB SATA Backup / Utility Harddrive

2 Each CDRW/DVDRW

PlusDeck 2C Audio Tape Player/Recorder

Konica Minolta magicolor 2400W Laser Printer

HP Officejet 4315V Fax/Printer,Copier

CH Pro USB Pedals

CH USB FlightSim Yoke

Microsoft FFB2 USB Joystick

Logitech Keyless Keyboard

Logitech cordless mouse

High Speed Cable Internet/email Service with Router

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1200M 1200 W v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

SuperPower ATX Full Tower Case with Large Side Fans Customized for more ventilation (Seven Fans total)

Secondary System Specs:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Quad Core CPU

6GB (3x2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK Memory

WinXP Pro 32 Bit

NVIDIA Evga Geforce 8400GS 512MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

24" HP LCD Monitor

Navidia version 314.22 drivers for Video Card

1 each Segate 250GB UIDE Harddrive

Std. Floppy Drive

CDRW/DVDRW

WINTV

Epson Perfection 2480 Photo Scanner

MicroTech Z!O! Flash Card Reader

Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound to Creative Inspire 5.1 5200

Speakers

Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675 Watt Power Supply

Note: Keyboard and Mouse are shared with a primary Computer for Win7 Pro 64 bit programs, Implementation is by Synergy Free Software.

Just shut down the computer and then restarted it (Cold restart). Before what had worked until this morning was just a simple warm restart. FS2004 Started up (after about a dozen computer restart/FS2004 unsuccessful tries).

I am puzzled.

RTH

Check your system events log and see if anything pertinent is listed there.

Did you try right-click on FS9.exe and "run as administrator"?

If your AV or windoze updated about the time this issue appeared I suspect a problem with DEP, permissions, or security (it sounds like FS9 is starting but something is shutting it down).

JFG:

Thanks to Pschlute on the AvSim forum, I may have found the solution.

I ran the Flash One Repair tool execution file for FS9, and so far at least the problem seems to be solved. Time will tell.

I run NOD32 in ESET Smart Securities for my AV and firewall. Every time I select the Fiight One 727, it quarantines this bird and stops the FS9 startup. I can go into my AV tools and restore the dll file that has been quarantined and then startup FS9 and select the 727. Everything is ok until the next time I start over and select this bird. I suspect this scenario is related to the current problem I was seeing and the Flash One Repair corrects the problem. Time will tell. Everything works now at any rate.

I will remember your suggestions if this quirk raises its head again.

Thanks again for the reply

RTH

Hello,

I run NOD32 in ESET Smart Securities

Me too I run NOD32 Antivirus ..

The simple solution (for no problems in the future) is to put your entire FS2004 folder in the exclusion list (advanced options of the antivirus)

Regards.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a/bye.gif

If you gave a couple of monkeys a box of ballpoints, enough paper, and enough time, they'd eventually finish up writing the complete works of Shakespeare :)

• 4 weeks later...

It's Back!

It has been just over a month since I made this original post. As mentioned, thanks to Ian's suggestion I thought that the Flight1 Repair Tool was the solution. Unfortunately this did not prove to have much longevity. Over the past month FS9 again refused to startup multiple times. Usually, after a computer restart it would startup ok, sometimes requiring two or three computer restarts.

This morning the problem became permanent. I could not startup FS9 at all, so I tried the following, restarting the computer after each change:

1. I have a total backup of my computers (Syncback). First I tried replacing my FS9.exe file from the backup. Same problem.

2. Tried replacing my fs9.cfg with the backup. Same problem.

3. Deleted my fs9.cfg file and let FS9 rebuild it. Same problem, and it never rebuilt the file.

4. Restored to yesterday morning's restore point where I was still able to startup FS9. Same Problem.

5. Checked for quarantined files, then excluded all of FS9 both in the root folder, and in Application Data from my ESET Smart Security AV/Firewall provisions.

Here a strange thing happened for the first time. When I tried to startup FS9 I got the old error message telling me to install by FS9 disk 4 and try again. I removed the disk, replaced it, and still had the problem.

Fortunately, I have two DVD/CD Read/Write drives in the computer. Typically, in one drive I leave the FS9 Disk 4 in one of these drives permanently. I switched the disk to the other drive, and BINGO! FS9 started up. I then switched back to the original drive and not only did FS9 not startup, but the green light stayed lit on the drive and the computer locked up. Restarted the computer (Reset manually). I then could not even get the drive door to open. Manually opened it (The old paperclip routine) and put the disk back in the second drive. Everything seems to work flawlessly now. I feel 99.9% sure that the drive was the problem all alone, and FS9 was never seeing the FS9 disk 4. I do not know why it did not give the error message though. Seems that CD/DVD drives are the hardware weak point in computers. I have replaced a number of them over the years in multiple computers, more than any other type of hardware. Fortunately, they are an inexpensive item.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

RTH

Hello

Not sure about the present kosherness of this at present.

But there are ways to start fs9 without the need for disc four to be present in any drive.

This also has the advantage of protecting your disc four from unnecessary ware and tear as well.

If it aint kosher I will beat myself with a large and prickly cactus.

But if it is then knowledge ( use of google )is power.

Cheers

You ain't seen me.

Socks

One may wish to review the threads pinned to the top of the forum. Hope the cactus isn't too prickly... ;)

Ah ha!

I have read the relevant thread.....

And even though I posted in good faith..............

Ahhhh ...owww...yelp..eeeek....yaroooo...gawd.....matey that dammed old cactus is a prickly bu++er

I am in pain BUT I DESERVE IT!!!!!

Repent your ways and crack no more.

I love big brother!!

Do it to Julia!!!!

Cheers Socks

Hello Socks:

Yes, I also have the hacked fs9.exe file you mention somewhere in my many archived FS CD's/DVD's, but thanks to the two drives I do not use it. Best I remember there were two or three programs or birds that were supposedly not totally compatible with it, but that may be bogus. In fact, if this old memory is correct, it seems like there was one product I installed somewhere back in the past that included an edited fs9.exe file in order to let their product function properly and still required disk 4 to operate (Wonder if they got permission from MS to edit the file). I really never saw a Kosher problem personally even though I don't have that file installed. Possessing an honestly purchased FS9 program bought and paid for it really seems to me that the Kosher (or legal) issue is debatable and somewhat academic at least. I realize we really don't own any of these such programs we purchase, but only purchased the right to use them, but it is still awfully fuzzy to me how this can be interpreted as stealing anything being that we paid for the use and are not adding or deleting anything that costs the source anything. A jailhouse lawyer topic I guess which some of us view as stealing, and other don't.

Happy flying!

RTH

I realize we really don't own any of these such programs we purchase, but only purchased the right to use them, but it is still awfully fuzzy to me how this can be interpreted as stealing anything being that we paid for the use and are not adding or deleting anything that costs the source anything. A jailhouse lawyer topic I guess which some of us view as stealing, and other don't.

Happy flying!

RTH

For FlightSim.com and other sites, the issue is that under the US DMCA it is illegal to circumvent any DRM or distribute applications that facilitate circumvention. Other countries have similar laws too. So while the risk to you may be low, or you're willing to take your chances, the consequences for FlightSim.com are much higher.

Archived