UTX (Ultimate Terrain X) for P3D available soon!

vgbaron

Press announcement from the developer - Great news for those who have missed UTX in P3D!

http://www.simforums.com/forums/ultimate-terrain-usa-20-almost-ready-for-release_topic50570.html

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Interesting. Presumably to be offered via the Flight 1 Tech site and carry a massive surcharge over the same damn product in FSX.

If not, difficult how they can continue to justify that argument for the GTN avionics.

Why not just wait and see, my little ray of sunshine! :)

Other than using the Flight1 wrapper UTX has no connection with Flight 1. I would expect a fee because it is NOT the same damn product. P3D is at a state now where simply changing the installer might not work.

As the consumer, you always have the last word - with your wallet.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

No, that's the first word.

The last word comes some ways later, when the hypocrisy gets highlighted.

In any event, UTX is too late to market. I think FTX has stolen the limelight, the formal relationship with L-M, and the sales.

My wallet has been opened to that, with a lot of product bought on top of the Global, Regional, Vector and LC - so the new product will have to be a damn miracle to be a wallet opener. As in a lot more than just scenery layering.

I used the dumping of FSX from my hard drive to make considered decisions about which developers and what products I would support. Flight 1's policies (now seeming to change I note) left them, their products, the supported developers and previous relationships of no further consequence to me. I'm in P3D. They're not. Literally their loss, not my wallets.

As I said over in the forum, that may change as they move their sales strategy to grab what they are missing, but it simply won't work with portovers at inflated prices, justified by BS on licensing and the need to drive Flight 1 Tech and its expensive propositions.

I have no objection to your position but you keep putting UTX in the same basket.

I'll say it again - UTX is NOT

Whether or not the product will succeed in P3D remains to be seen. I use FTX also and Vector is a mess. UTX is a direct competitor - if they can release a product that is as good for P3D as it was for FSX it should do well.

P3D Rig

Press announcement from the developer - Great news for those who have missed UTX in P3D!

http://www.simforums.com/forums/ultimate-terrain-usa-20-almost-ready-for-release_topic50570.html

Vic

From the link posted above:

"Ultimate Terrain USA 2.0 will be available for all users at a new price point of $29.95, which includes duel licenses for both FSX and Prepar3D versions. Existing "Ultimate Terrain X – USA" users can purchase the product for FSX at a discounted price of $14.95. Ultimate Terrain USA is the original vector-based terrain product available for FS9/FSX, with over 8 years of enhancement patches released to provide the cleanest solution on the market."

The one line from that paragraph that caught my attention:

"...Existing "Ultimate Terrain X – USA" users can purchase the product for FSX at a discounted price of $14.95."

A clerical error imo...hopefully they meant "P3D" instead of FSX, and hopefully a similar discount will also apply to future regions, whenever they are released.

Currently I own all UTX regions available for FSX. I definitely miss it in P3D, so now I am really looking forward to this UTX-USA release soon.

Should be awesome. Thank you for posting the link.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

my flight simming system: Windows 10 CyberPower PC i5 6600k 3.5 gHz, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 970 graphics, with FSX, FSXSE and P3D all installed side-by-side on a Crucial 525 SSD. Dual monitors, with a Saitek X52 joystick w/ rudder pedals for controls. It's all powered by a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 700W power supply sitting in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As I understand it, if you own the FSX version you can upgrade to the new version for $14.95 AND this new version has a dual installer. But we need to clarify this.

Vic

P3D Rig

• 3 weeks later...

I was a UTX user in FSX, but frankly, they're so late to market I think most users of P3D probably already have FTX Global/Vector/OpenLC and the FTX region-specific addons that absolutely render UTX superfluous. Well, with the possible exception of those areas not covered by the regional NA offerings from FTX.

Although I know UTX is supposedly usable with FTX, frankly I'm in too deep with FTX to contemplate change at this point - especially as my FTX does a far better job of the areas I fly in than UTX USA, and like others, I've been unimpressed with the new screenshots.

And once FTX release OpenLC for NA, that will erode any remaining advantage for UTX in the broad-based USA.

As always YMMV and there is still the benefit of the Flight 1 money back guarantee (how quickly they've changed their collective minds about supporting P3D - if they actually had the courage of their convictions they wouldn't support the developer with a P3D installer as of course, the product is sold to the masses not the technical simulation community).

Faint whiff of hypocrisy notwithstanding, at least you can try it without commitment as you can get your money back - something that FTX would be well advised to replicate as not everything they sell you is good enough or fit for purpose IMHO.

Why don't you buy it Dave, and let us know what you think?

I've got utx v2 -- got it at half price, since I'm a V1 user. I downloaded both versions, and the same "key" works for both FSX and P3D. I mostly like it, though there are a few rough spots since they're now using the Tom-Tom GPS database, rather than the previous version.

Their night lighting is drastically improved (it was unusable, for me, before, but now is nice), and you have more control over configuration of a lot of features. All-in-all an improvement, but an annoyance in a few road properties.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I also use it and prefer it to Vector. I have FTX Global, Vector, FS 2010 Global, OpenLC. No problems.

Vic

P3D Rig

Archived