Any way to change default FSX Replay from 60 seconds?

mhamilto

Replay time starts when you load FSX, or load a different aircraft. Therfore, how much time is available will depend on how long ago you started FSX, or when you loaded a different aircraft.

To find out how much time is available, highlight (with left mouse button + drag) in the time window, then enter '999' and hit tab or ok. FSX will then tell you how much is available. Using '999' is most likely not available, so it's a 'trick' to make FSX tell you how much IS available.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Alright, thanks. I was wondering if there was a way to change the default value of 60 seconds that appears in the replay time box after one goes to the Replay window, from 60 to 120 seconds so I can see the whole final approach to landing, rather than just the last minute? Is there a way to reset the 60 second default to 120 seconds in the window without having to manually type in 120?

You have a desktop and no mouse. Right? If so, then just use tab key to put cursor in that window, then use delete key to erase the '60', then key in '120', hit enter key, and you are done. Hint: be sure to tick 'repeat' (again, use tab key) so you don't have to repeat above in case you want to view the replay from different view angles, etc.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I had a quick look and couldn't find a way to change the "default" replay time, so I'm thinking it must be hard coded.

That's not to say that there isn't a way though, it's just that I couldn't find it.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I had a quick look and couldn't find a way to change the "default" replay time, so I'm thinking it must be hard coded.

That's not to say that there isn't a way though, it's just that I couldn't find it.

IAN

Thank you. I agree. I've looked in the program choices, and in the config file to see if there was a setting for it. Even in FSUIPC. So far no joy. Someone with better knowledge of the FSX code and programming may know better. I find the 60 second default is too short and a 2 minute approach would be great. Having to type this in each time is a hassle!

Would anyone know how to change the default replay length in FSX from 60 to 120 seconds? Thanks.

FSrecorder, download this exellent software, its free, and has very good features.

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My goodness! Can you PLEASE read the posts. The way to CHANGE the 60 sec is to first HIGHLIGHT the '60 sec' 'value' and when highlighted, KEY '1+2+0' to OVERWRITE the '6+0' and make it (miraculously turn) into a '120', then hit ENTER. Done.

If you can't drag to highlight, because you don't have a mouse, or can't 'dbl-click' on that window (where the '60' is), then you are not going to be able to change it. There IS no NEED for any CODE. Cheesh.

Chuck B

Napamule

PS: Get a 'Computers for Dummies' or something. It wouldn't hurt to START learning.

"Having to type this in each time is a hassle!"

The answer to your question is no. 60 seconds is the setting coded into the sim such that you cannot adjust it. Might as well get used to the hassle of adjusting it like the rest of us have done for years without complaining about it.

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

Actually, I can think of a way....

I might even get around to programming it once I get some time, given that it annoys me as well having to use the keyboard to enter a new time.

A solution will be an Add In auto opening on startup from being listed in your exe,xml, which would list Replay 60, Replay 120, Replay 180, Replay 240 as items in the Add In menu and launch the replay upon selecting the menu item.

The '60 sec' that FSX 'offers' you is not 'hard coded' per se. Reload your aircraft, and 10 seconds later do an 'instant replay' and you will see that you ONLY have '10 sec' as the 'available' time, with no other option. It CAN'T be 60 sec because you just reloaded a different aircraft, so the replay counter reset to '0' ten seconds ago.

When you open the 'instant replay' window, the '60 sec' will already be highlighted and you can key '1+2+0' (or whatever, 240, 360, etc) and that action will overwrite the '60' and give you the time you want. Why is it so hard to understand this, I don't know why something so SIMPLE is made complicated with plans to write code to 'fix' it. It ain't broke.

Chuck B

Napamule

The thing is this guy doesn't want to type anything, highlight anything, or do anything other than to have 120 seconds magically appear in the replay window. I agree that it's simple to change from 60 seconds to any other number you want. It don't make my fingers hurt to do so!

The file that needs changing may lie in the language.dll in the main FSX folder. This .dll contains about every printed word that's used in the Sim. If you download a program called Resource Hacker, you can open the language.dll and hunt for it.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I think everyone apart from Chuck understood that mhamilto doesn't want to have to manually change the 60s to 120s every time he wants a replay.

So, like I said, I wrote some code, it works fine, it simplifies the process, it can be accessed from the menu or linked to a controller button so you don't need keyboard or mouse, and I'll upload it in the next couple of days.

FSX - FSX Utilities

FSX Quick Replay

[ Download | View ]

Name: quickreplayfsxv1-0.zip

Size: 203,284 Date: 11-05-2014 Downloads: 39

FSX Quick Replay v1.0. Sick of using your keyboard to change the 60 second default replay value to something longer? This add-on provides menu options for 120, 180 and 240 second replays so that you can activate your desired replay quickly and without the keyboard. Also allows controller buttons to trigger your favorite replay duration. By Richard Barry.

Good Job! Looks like you put a lot of work into this with the batch file, installation text, and manual. The OP will be one busy beaver!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi,

I haven't been following this thread closely but when I saw the number of responses I got curious. I went to download and saw that the solution had been downloaded 51 times. Surprising. Anyway the original post requested a way to change the default 60 to 120. Does the download do this or does it require action on the part of the user to manually change it? A cursory glance at the documentation seem to imply that it does.

Jim F.

Hello

The download adds quick menu options (Replay 120s, Replay 180s, Replay 240s), so that with 2 clicks (Add Ons, Replay 120s), the replay will start at either 120s or the max of the time available if you have been flying for less than 120s.

The code does actually step through the standard menu and automatically changes the duration etc, but does so very quickly, so the whole operation reduced to 2 clicks.

Because SimConnect is used, the option to link to one of your controller buttons for single button press replay is available.

To auto load when FSX boots, you need to go through the steps of adding the exe.xml info, but if you want to try it first, just running the exe after FSX has been started should add the Add On menu items.

Cheers

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

The download adds quick menu options (Replay 120s, Replay 180s, Replay 240s), so that with 2 clicks (Add Ons, Replay 120s), the replay will start at either 120s or the max of the time available if you have been flying for less than 120s.

The code does actually step through the standard menu and automatically changes the duration etc, but does so very quickly, so the whole operation reduced to 2 clicks.

Because SimConnect is used, the option to link to one of your controller buttons for single button press replay is available.

To auto load when FSX boots, you need to go through the steps of adding the exe.xml info, but if you want to try it first, just running the exe after FSX has been started should add the Add On menu items.

Cheers

Richard

Dear Rich,

Thank you for an elegant solution to a problem we didn't know we had, until we tried your clever solution. My problem is

I can get the drop down menus, but when I select any speed, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong.. ? Is Simconnect a requirement??

Thank you again for a slick interface.. I hope I can get to use it..

Terry

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

Hello Terry

If you are getting the menu items showing in FSX, then it means Simconnect must be working as Simconnect is how the items are added.

My guess would therefore be that FSX isn't getting enough time to process the keystrokes that the menu items trigger.

Go to the directory where you put quickreplayfsx.exe and quickreplayfsx.cfg

Open quickreplayfsx.cfg with Notepad

Change the first line from 250 to 1000

Save & Close

Next time you start FSX it should be using a 1 second delay between keystrokes. See if this changes what happens. If it does, you could then try 700, 500 etc until you get something faster that works for you.

If it still doesn't work, let me know.

If you are already running FSX, and want to apply cfg changes, Ctrl Alt Del, then start Task Manager, look in the Processes to find QuickReplayFSX, right click and End Task, make your quickreplayfsx.cfg changes and then run quickreplayfsx.exe again.

This allows you to experiment without closing down FSX.

Cheers

Richard

Rich,

After restarting both computer and fsx, when activating the module manually it does,in fact, show up now (it didn't before) in task mgr. I must say it works slicker than I even imagined. I'll be fine tuning the time in the cfg, now I set it to 5000 but I don't think it needs that. It runs the video in about three seconds.. very nice.. many thanks.

Thanks for all your help..I liked your suggestion of not having to close FSX. Thank you..Terry

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

Hello Terry

While it's good the application is working, I think there is something going wrong that would be good to fix in case it is also affecting other users as well.

If you couldn't initially find QuickReplayFSX.exe in the process list, then I suspect that it had crashed, as I don't think that it's possible for it to be running and not showing in the process list.

BTW if the first line of the cfg file is 1000, then it defaults back to 250 ms, so entering 5000 actually results in a 250 ms delay the way the program is currently written.

I'll set up an exe in the new few days with a debugging log and PM you a link to see if we can get it running more reliably.

Regards

Richard

Rich,

The module QuickReplay does not show up in TM, but a folder called "Modules"

does. (This is where Quick Replay and FSUIPC resides on my system). I returned the value in cfg to 750. Works well, now working to get the xml formatted so that it will autoload.

Great help.. Thank you..

Archived