P3d fps

balami1

Hey guys!

So I have recently done a lot of upgrades with my system. I thought it was a fairly decent system when I was done with all the upgrades, but I still can't get the FPS I want. For instance when I am at Flight beams KIAD with the PMDG NGX or Airbus Extended I will only get arounf 15-18 FPS in the spot view. If im in the VC it might be a little closer to 12 or 13. Of course the sliders are a bit on the high side, but I feel like even with my settings a bit higher I should be getting more than that.

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 64 Bit

Seagate HDD 1 TB (Dedicated to P3d) 250 GB SSD for my OS

8 Gigs of RAM

i7 3770k Overclocked to 4.2 ghz

Z77 chipset mobo

GeForce GTX 780

Also i have tweaked the CFG with Bojete's tweaking tool. Didn't help a whole lot.

If anyone has any ideas as to where the problem might be or if y'all need a little more information please let me know.

Thanks,

Brandon

Start by junking the tweaks. Create a new prepar3d.cfg.

Next, remove that PMDG aircraft. It is not optimised nor intended for P3D, you are in breach of the EULA.

Remove or reduce all AI traffi. Reduce the sliders. Reduce the texture resolution.

The reason is simply that you are asking for high-end performance from a mid-range system.

Additionally - try to get that 3770 up to at least 4.5 or so. Let P3D rebuild your cfg - it wil probably set your fps to 20.

More importantly with P3D than FSX - FORGET the FPS - *IF* and that's the key *IF* your sim runs smooth - leave it alone. IF it doesn't stutter, FPS are for bragging rights, not simming.

have mine maxed at 20 and occasionally with heavy clouds and rain it will drop some but it makes NO DIFFERENCE because it is smooth.

Learn to adjust your thinking along with your sliders and you'll be happy.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

THis is the old flightsim blues. Your system will never give you what you want. Even a high end one like yours. We always want more and we always get depressed when we have to turn down a slider.

I personally try to stay away from things that kill framerates. I dont need a 2048 texture VC with 3 big glass panels. I actually dont like the glass panels and if well done, a 1024 texture panel is good enough.

Big super realistic airport sceneries have always killed frames and created stuttering and problems. I try to stay away from them. I wish they had a "lite" button option. I dont need to see that 2nd row warehouse in super realistic textures. Its fine they are there for the airport geeks, but I prefer to land and taxi around in a relatively smooth environment. I cant enjoy all the goodies with low fps.

Our systems will alway be far behind the sim. You could install FS9 on your sytem, add a 19m mesh, landclass, costum textures, UT, costum clouds and a mega airport. You would have fps problems .... And fs9 is 11 years old.

Nobody has fps problems in fs9. With Sascha's awesome new world textures that have changed fs9 beyond any other fs9 texture add-on, with increased autogen, rex HD clouds and 100% Ai at a mega airport in a advanced aircraft like the iFly for instance, that above system he uses would smoke fs9 and you'd have better fps then p3d and fsx combined.

A lot less problems too!!

Nobody has fps problems in fs9. With Sascha's awesome new world textures that have changed fs9 beyond any other fs9 texture add-on, with increased autogen, rex HD clouds and 100% Ai at a mega airport in a advanced aircraft like the iFly for instance, that above system he uses would smoke fs9 and you'd have better fps then p3d and fsx combined.

A lot less problems too!!

And a lot less modern addons also and even less in the futire. No debate here but you brought it up. I have ZERO problems with performance with P3DV2.4.

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

Of course the sliders are a bit on the high side, but I feel like even with my settings a bit higher I should be getting more than that.

Brandon, with respect that above is a large part of your problem...

With P3D, >50% sliders is roughly equal to 100% sliders in FSX! Turn them suckers DOWN. Better still, leave 'em where the P3D installer left them until you have things adjusted to your satisfaction...

...using only the default aircraft!

Do NOT try to run any third-party aircraft until you have P3D running smoothly.

Also, do NOT "tweak" the Prepar3D.cfg file. It is not really necessary. Many if not all of "Bojete's tweaks" are at best ignored, but at worse are actually harmful.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

In my post, I was saying more or less the same as n4gix just with other words.

I´m glad that fs9 runs so smooth on a modern computer. My plan, when I know P3D a lot better, is to make a golden wings instalation of FS9. How many years did it take fs9 to reach its full potential. It ran smooth back in 2003 on my amd duron 2000mhz 512mb ram and a GF-5200. But it was in 800x600 with no clouds and no AI and sliders to a third. But it was smooth and I enjoyed it a lot.

When fsx came out it ran really poorly on that days top computers. It was really depressing when it was new. I deinstalled it after some month, took a long break from flightsimming and never reinstalled it.

P3Dv2 is less than a year old, and it would be the first time in flight sim history that sliders could be maxed from the start. On my decent mid range simpc, it actually runs really well and I enjoy it A LOT. Its a great sim. I will overclock later on. But not yet. And I know that I wont be able to enjoy everything the sim has to offer untill I have the day after tomorrws PC (and then we´ll have a new sim-version that will need another futuristic pc)

Our systems will alway be far behind the sim. You could install FS9 on your sytem, add a 19m mesh, landclass, costum textures, UT, costum clouds and a mega airport. You would have fps problems .... And fs9 is 11 years old.

I've done exactly this and I have absolutely no FPS problems whatsoever.

FSX's engine and P3D after it, is simply dog slow. Many of us have admitted this and in all honesty, the sooner you accept this the better. There are many many examples of 3d engines that have WAY more detail in a similarly huge world that a) look 10x better and b) run 10x better.

It's a shame...FSX has some really nice features and some cool eye candy. But its 3d engine is painfully inefficient and downright slow. This is a what...8 or 9 year old sim at this point and even with the latest greatest hardware still runs slow.

I've done exactly this and I have absolutely no FPS problems whatsoever.

FSX's engine and P3D after it, is simply dog slow. Many of us have admitted this and in all honesty, the sooner you accept this the better. There are many many examples of 3d engines that have WAY more detail in a similarly huge world that a) look 10x better and b) run 10x better.

It's a shame...FSX has some really nice features and some cool eye candy. But its 3d engine is painfully inefficient and downright slow. This is a what...8 or 9 year old sim at this point and even with the latest greatest hardware still runs slow.

I'd be interested in the actual evidence for this assertion. Draw Calls in P3D are now almost an order of magnitude above even a heavily-loaded FSX, yet for a given level of load, P3D now performs getting on for twice as fast as FSX. And the other key optimisation is that where FSX wouldn't function smoothly at a locked 20 fps, P3D does.

Still life in the old dog, I'd say. :D

There are many many examples of 3d engines that have WAY more detail in a similarly huge world that a) look 10x better and b) run 10x better.

That's easy to say, but examples? Programs that actually give you the freedom to roam the world as you see fit with fairly realistic weather, and with constantly changing sun, moon and stars, and with terrain and airport details and navaids and instruments that are constantly updating, and AI traffic, and car traffic and boat traffic, to name a few things that are constantly tracked in FSX/P3D? Programs where you can fly low over the terrain, or 50,000 feet above it anywhere in the world, at any time?

I'd sure be interested to know which ones...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I'd sure be interested to know which ones...

Me too, Larry but I'm not holding my breath. :)

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived