Location of scenery MDL files?

drake4896

MDL files are not "freestanding" within FS. You need some kind of scenery placement program, such as the ever-popular ADE, that will, duh, place them into scenery. This is only a guess, but I suspect that they might be embedded in the scenery you have installed; or he's given you those as extra freebies. To answer your question literally, a product such as the freeware Model Converter X (MCX) will enable you to see the contents of MDL files in 3D. You have a bit of a learning curve ahead of you, although if you only want to look at what's in the files, a straight File -> Open within MCX will do that.

Steve from Mudgee.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Thanks Steve for your reply.

I had tried placing the MDL files in several scenery locations and I wasn't seeing any objects in the sim. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking something with these items. I am not into adding scenery objects "yet" .. lol

Regards

Drake

Your scenery is a "fly in", so one could speculate that maybe the MDL files are additional static planes. In the MDL folder, did you get a text file of any kind? Maybe that might tell you what they are.

Even though you say you are not "yet" into adding objects, I would encourage you that this would appear to be the perfect opportunity to start. MCX is worthwhile utility to have anyway. You could then see for sure what these models are. Maybe you could then make your own fly in in your backyard?

Steve from Mudgee.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

The airport is FSX scenery and not compatible with FS9. I thought I had the airport showing up but it was just the FS9 default that I was seeing.

I did download the ADE program and it said the BGL files were FSX and could not open them.

I did download and add the airport's surrounding golf course that is in the library and then found some nice free Florida landscape by Freeflow.

Archived