FSX GMT time and UTC time the same?

Driver170

Ok just recently i have noticed FSX GMT and UTC have somehow sync this wasn't like this the last time i seen it a few days ago?

I'm in the uk also use the 737 ngx and that shows the same time. not sure why the times are all the same?

Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-4770k Quad Core (3.50GHz @ max

ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE

16GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)

3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

GMT and UTC are just different names for the same thing. Greenwich Mean Time is, of course, the time at the 0º meridian, in Greenwich, while Coordinated Universal Time (UTC is from the French) is still the same time, as is Zulu time.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Right so these both times are sync'd in FSX but if i go to lisbon theres a few hours difference?

Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-4770k Quad Core (3.50GHz @ max

ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE

16GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)

3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

When you start a new flight in FSX, FSX takes a local time (from your system, from a saved flight, or from the create a flight menu) and uses the aircraft location plus the active FSX timezone setting for that location to compute the GMT. It then maintains that GMT and computes local time as the aircraft moves from location to location. So if you want GMT to be correct, the local time you use when starting the flight must be correct for the start location, and the timezone setting in FSX (either the default or the localized timezone bgl files) must be correct. If they aren't you can use the menus to adjust GMT as needed, or use a 3rd party tool that auto-adjusts GMT. Once GMT is set it should more-or-less track real time, unless you change the sim rate.

It's always an issue this time of year as FSX shipped with accurate time zone files only for Western Europe and the US, and even with that DST start/stop dates have changed since the release of FSX.

scott s.

Archived