Another "File Name" Question

LTCSZ

Does it effect anything if the name of a sub-folder is changed in the Custom Scenery Folder? Here's what I mean...Some designers list their unzipped folders as "Fungus_City_Municipal_FUNG"

I prefer to have all of my airports listed in order by their identifiers...Will it screw up anything if I change the folder name to "FUNG_Fungus_City_Municipal"?

Thanks,

Steve

As long as you change it before you add it to the Scenery Library. That or delete it, change the name then add it back in again. If you change it after the game knows it as "Fungus_City_Municipal_FUNG" the game will lose track of it and you will get an error during boot up and no longer will the addon be recognized. If you delete it from the scenery Library, or it's entry I should say, change the name then add it in with the new name it will be as though it was that the entire time, as far as the game knows. You don't have to delete the file it's self, just the entry in the Scenery Library.

I hope that's about as clear as mud...:p

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I'm not sure how one goes about adding a scenery file to XPlane. All I know is FS9, but I imagine they're similar. Normally you need to DL the zip-file, unzip it into a temp folder or the game's addon scenery folder, then start the game and perform some sort of action to add it into the game. You MUST rename before you perform the "action" OR remove it, however that's done, from the game, if already in.

I hope that's all slightly less muddy...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Thanx for the help, Rod! I appreciate it. Nothing worse than the abyss of my ignorance :)

Sounds to me like you would have to make sure the game is shut down, before you add the folder to the Custom Scenery folder, then you could drag-n-drop, cut-n-paste, copy-n-paste, however you like to do it, change the name, then start the game and of you go!

If it's already been added, you would have to cut it from the Custom Scenery folder, again, game off, start the game to be sure the scenery.ini is properly updated, shut down, put the folder you want back in, change the name and start the game to add the scenery back in with the new name.

Thanx again for the help, Rod. Couldn't do it with out ya :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think I finally understand...I can change anything before I restart the program...Apparently it is also possible to make the name changes, erase the old scenery packs .ini file, restart the program...Thanks again for all of the great advice...

Steve

But with deleting the scenery_packs.ini you also lose all(!!!) manual sorting which you have done in it ... which it was originally intended for (namely: giving you full control of the ordering of scenery packages via the sorting in the file).

After deleting the scenery_packs.ini and restarting X-plane you of course get it re-generated, but then it will have - again - the pure alphabetical sorting based on the folder names.

In the end, the sorting is a manual job anyways ... either you have to keep your folder names "well chosen" (so that they sort in a way, that you get all scenery in the RIGHT place) OR you leave your folder names as is, but make sure you have everything sorted as intended in the scenery_packs.ini.

By the way, there is a very good little instruction thread at X-plane.org which gives you a good understanding how to best work with scenery_packs.ini:

Cool Scenery and Plugins and how to keep your custom_scenery.ini in order

Andras Fabian / Alpilotx

Archived