could you advice me on a good sdd - hdd setup

donnybalonny

I´m slowly getting my hardware list ready. I have read this VERY long fsx "book" by Nickn, called the bible. It was a brick to swallow, but I really try to get things right. And since there´s a lot less info on P3D, I also "study" fsx even though I dont have and dont plan to install fsx. (After all they are in the same family)

I´m not sure abot my storage drives setup. The build with be with win7 64bit and as it will be a fightsim only pc, I dont need much space for windows. I think 30gb should be max. I wont install itunes, office, photoshop, etc and I wont have a music, images or video library and downloads will be backed up elsewhere and deleted from the windows drive. I´m good at keeping things organized and I would like to get it organized well from the start.

2x120 and 1x 240gb sata 3 ssd drives cost almost the same. Since the price difference between 60 and 120gb is very small, there´s no idea in buying a 60gb for windows.

Here you have 3 straight questions (if a thing like straight questions exist :pilot:)

1) Is it important to have win7 and P3D on seperate ssd drives?

2)if it doesnt matter and they go on the same drive, should that drive be partitioned with a partition for windows and one for P3D or is it ok to install P3D in its own folder in the root of this drive?

3)As in fs9 and fsx, can some of the P3D files be kept somewhere else than the P3D installation folder?

I will have a Hdd (sata2) with a fs9 partition, a backup partition and evt a partition for big P3D files like mesh, etc. But this only if its adviceable.

Additionally, I wouldn't shortside the OS drive. MANY programs keep program specific data in the USER area including logs, settings, etc. Although you COULD redirect to a different location, it is not a good idea. 120G for the OS is a good size.

If you can afford it, I would put P3D on it's own drive as optimum, it's own partition as acceptable but NOT in the default C:\ProgramFiles(x86) folder.

Plan for a large storage HDD - 2 and 3TB drives are dirt cheap. When you install programs like REX they consume a lot of space with their textures that only need to be copied to the sim drive as needed.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Besides win7 pro 64bit, I will have very few programs installed. I will most probably go for a 240gb ssd and install win7 and P3D (on root . Not program files) besides I will have a 320gb harddrive to start with and I will add a bigger one when/if needed.

I will take my time with addons. A few AC and maybe some orbx.

I know that setting up and installing a flight sim take VERY long time and that its best to let it take a VERY long time. It easily ends up being a chaos and spending a lot of time with hardware and software tweaking. I like flying, so I´m not going to buy a new PC, install win7 and P3D in a day. No way. Thats very energy consuming and you easily do something wrong. It also takes away focus on the important thing... simming. I like tweaking soft and hardware, but only to a certain degree.

Archived