Gauge "draw order" question

jandjfrench

Hi,

I've occasionally seen draw order references in various panel.cfg files and always assumed that a particular gauge was drawn on top of another but apparently this is not the case. I can't see why the draw order is important and would like to know. Here's a few pictures to demonstrate:

Here's an excerpt from the Baron panel.cfg:

Order.JPG

And here are the gauges in the 2D cockpit:

panel.JPG

And here's what the SDK says about this:

SDK.JPG

I Googled this but wasn't able to find a satisfactory explanation. Can anyone clarify.

Jim F.

Honestly, this question should have been asked in the Panel and Gauges forum. Normally, gauges that require the draw_ordernn entry are adjacent to one another, and the last drawn gauge (such as the aileron trim) would otherwise slightly overlap one or more of the other gauges, because although the ailieron knob appears to be 'round' the actual gauge background is rectangular.

In this instance however, the aileron trim gauge is nowhere near the other gauges cited, so I'm puzzled why MS/ACES believed these entries necessary... :confused:

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived