Night flying

TomMarius

Who here is a night owl? I am just about to receive the 25 hours night flying medal in FSX. Considering I have nearly 300 hours in FSX (and have been flying since FS98) night flying makes up only a fraction of my total time.

I just never seem to think about it; obviously there is an element of difficulty and danger compared to daytime flying, so perhaps the extra vigilance required puts me off. Lately I have been trying to do it a bit more often so I can gain some extra skills.

How often do you fly at night? Do you prefer it to daytime flying? Is there anything you do differently after dark?

Also, a more technical question: must all night flying be conducted under IFR?

Hi Tom

How often do you fly at night? Do you prefer it to daytime flying? Is there anything you do differently after dark?

Also, a more technical question: must all night flying be conducted under IFR?

how often? not very... just 238 hrs of 10642 - that's 2.22%. The technical question I can't answer but I will say that my IFR time shows just 171.5 hrs, which is considerably less than the night hours. Some of the night flying is just a matter of not getting where I'm going before dark. More often I fly after sunset specifically to look at the stars or a full moon. My 'darkness' is set to mimic a minimum of visibility such as you might see under a full moon: I can see well enough to navigate close to the ground but paying attention is essential. My day and night settings are ajusted with the ENB add-on. Back in FS9 I "sailed" through many nights under the stars... I still do that occasionally.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Tom, I've flown several times at night under VFR. Only when visibility is below minimums will ATC deny a VFR flight at night. I once tried to take off from KMRY Monterey when the ceiling was overcast at 900 ft (not uncommon at KMRY). IFR yes, VFR no.

For me it doesn't matter, day or night, I keep the time in my sim synced to the real world time, so no biasing from my side.

One thing I don't like about night flying is that that some airports don't have taxiway lights, making my taxi difficult.

ENB, you'd love it.

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

Tom, I've flown several times at night under VFR. Only when visibility is below minimums will ATC deny a VFR flight at night. I once tried to take off from KMRY Monterey when the ceiling was overcast at 900 ft (not uncommon at KMRY). IFR yes, VFR no.

Thanks for the reply. That was my understanding too -- that as long as visual minimums are met it isn't a problem. Good to know I won't be getting a visit from the VFAA any time soon :pilot:

For me it doesn't matter, day or night, I keep the time in my sim synced to the real world time, so no biasing from my side.

One thing I don't like about night flying is that that some airports don't have taxiway lights, making my taxi difficult.

ENB, you'd love it.

This is what I have decided to start doing as well. If I'm flying at night, then that's what the sim will reflect.

I will check out ENB.

Archived