Old Fart Needs Scenery Install Help!

LTCSZ

OK, I admit I have Senior Moments from time to time...(Increasingly often, it seems)...Anyway, I am trying to install some SRTM scenery files into FS2004...They all end in .bgl...There are no Texture files associated with them...I have created this structure:

Addon Scenery

SRTM-NA

Scenery

Texture (this directory is empty)

When I attempt to "Add Area" in the scenery Library, nothing happens... I select the SRTM-NA directory and then the Scenery directory and hit "OK"...I get a second screen saying nothing matches my criteria...Nothing appears in the Scenery Library (the area with all of the red checkmarks)...Can anyone figure out what I am doing wrong? I am off to take my memory tablets, so thank you for your assistance....

Steve

As the texture folder is empty I suggest that you delete it as you don't need it.

The problem you describe is a bug caused by Windows 7. I believe the solution is to double click anywhere in the white area of the screen where you add scenery and that then lets you proceed as you would expect to. Personally, I don't do that as I much prefer to amend the scenery.cfg file manually using notepad - gives me greater control and it only takes a few seconds!

Dijvid - another old fart!

Thanks for the quick reply...Not bad for a brother Old Fart...I am using Win 8.1, so glitches don't surprise me any more...I guess I will have to learn to use the Scenery.cfg file too...It appears a bit confusing...Do you know of a tutorial that explains how to do it and what the various entries mean? Thanks for the help...

Steve

Watch this video-

It applies to all sims and all OS after XP.

No need to manually edit the scenery.cfg. Doing so has caused a lot of problems for different people over the years.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I think you went a level too far. to add that you should stop at the SRTM-NA folder, not the scenery folder. It should also be moved down your add-on scenery listing (Move Down button a few dozen times)to just above the photoscenery sections, IE below all your add-ons, above the included, default sceneries, Like Los Angeles, Amsterdam, and those things. I don't recall where I read that but it seems to work for me, and I use the SRTMs myself :)

BTW, they DO call them folders now, not directories any more :)

Now, can you tell me what my name was? I misplaced my wallet someplace, and I think my iD was in there...Either that or I can annoy my lovely wife until she yells at me, I suppose...whatever her name was...

:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Manually maintaining the scenery.cfg file shouldn't present any problems once you understand how it is structured. There is a link about this here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?222433-Structure-of-scenery-cfg-file-in-FS9

There is also a wonderful piece of donation software called RSC V2 which will re-number the scenery.cfg entries and point out any syntax errors etc. You can get this here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=29782065

I use RSC a lot and it's a very easy to use and essential [for me] piece of kit.

Maintaining the scenery.cfg file manually has enabled me to structure it exactly how I want - e.g. I have all my addon airports listed alphabetically by country in the FS2004 scenery library which makes it very easy indeed to select what I want on or off.

Dijvid

You better listen (write it down (hehe) and NOT do ANY edits to scenery cfg. You are opening a can of worms!!! Don't say we didn't warn you. I let FSX 'handle' all scenery additions. I might MOVE the order of scenery but that is it. In 10 years I have never had any problems letting FSX do the scenery cfg.

The solution as stated is to CLICK (and stop) on main folder (not the scenery folder). Then click on white area and proceed (seems like 'blindly', but that is how it works). Do move these 'type' files down as suggested, for best results.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

You better listen (write it down (hehe) and NOT do ANY edits to scenery cfg. You are opening a can of worms!!! Don't say we didn't warn you. I let FSX 'handle' all scenery additions. I might MOVE the order of scenery but that is it. In 10 years I have never had any problems letting FSX do the scenery cfg.

Chuck B

Napamule

Scaremongering ;)

Also in 10 years I have never had any problems editing the scenery.cfg file manually. As I said earlier I have much more and better control over how my scenery is arranged by doing it manually. Of course, it goes without saying that you should always have a back up of the file but that is basic common computer sense.

Dijvid

...I have much more and better control over how my scenery is arranged by doing it manually.

Due respect, how can a visual representation such as the Scenery Library give you less control than a, sometimes rather long, text file?

If you have a scenery.cfg with 500 entries and you want to add one in Layer=250, do you then go about renumbering manually 251-500?

All I have to do is hold down the "D" key until the new entry gets to where I want it. And there is no way I can screw up the scenery.cfg that way.

And in the last 10 years I have helped dozens pf people who have created problems by manually editing the scenery.cfg.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Unfortunately, the SRTMs are all I've used, not counting any that may be included in an add-on scenery. That I have to be careful with though, sometimes the work seamlessly, sometimes I have to choose one or the other. I can select either one, just by selectively moving different mesh files in or out of a back up folder, so the game can't "see: them. I always put all my Mesh files into a single folder, so if problems crop up, and they always do, I can find-n-fix relatively quickly.

I'm staggeringly cheap...errr...FRUGAL, the lovely wife reminds me. She can be very forcefull...14" cast iron frying pans do that...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Pretty impressed with this freeware SceneryConfigEditor thingy myself, you can just drag the scenery layers up & down the list to wherever you want them, still has move up, move down buttons if you prefer doing it that way. You can select & drag 20 layers at once if you want to. Of course there are all the "group" options and restore from backup, etc. too but I don't use them currently. I'm using that for P3D2 (but it works for FS9 & FSX too). For FS9 I use the FSNav database creator and for FSX I use FSTramp's database creator which is still going strong in spite of my FSTramp trial being expired for a couple years now.

Archived