FSX PC Hardware configuration

Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times and no matter what research I do it is difficult to settle on a good hardware platform for FSX.

I am currently using a Core2Duo with built in graphics and I'm happy with the performance BUT I'm looking to ulitmately expand this to a simpit with multiple monitors (three widescreen for the forward view and second monitor for gauges).

I initially plumbed for an i7 processor but reading the various forums indicate that hyperthreading isn't supported by FSX and I'd get good enough performance (performance vs. cost trade off) using an i5 (possibly overclocked but at this stage I don't want to go down that route).

The hardware (GFX and CPU) that I'm considering are as follows but don't know whether in future this would allow me to run three monitors (either via TH2G or other means) plus a 2nd screen for gauges (either using a second video output from the GFX or a second GFX card - again is it better to use a single GFX with dual output rather than two GFX cards):

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz Socket 1150 6MB L3 - initially not overclocked but it has the capabiity to do so

EVGA GTX-760 2GB SC

would the lower cost GTX-750 be a better option (cost vs performance tradeoff)

Many thanks in advance

Jon

I´m more or less the same place as you, so I hope someone replys.

Remember that the gtx760 requires a lot more power, so you need add a bigger power supply to the cost and a bigger electricity bill.

The gtx 750 gpu should be easy to verclock 10% (12% max) without adding extra cooling etc. I´m considering a gtx750ti OC with 2gb ram.

But if someone says that with this processor that card will be the bottleneck, then I will reconsider.

I dont know if this helps you. (I have no practical experience I´m just investigating before an evt. purchase) Judge yourself.

I have just finished reading this VERY long article about a fsx computer. Its very geeky but I think its also very good:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

According to this guy, you will need at least gtx660, better gtx750 and if you are going to OC the cpu and use higspeed low latency ram, you´ll need at least a gtx770. If not, the GPU will bottleneck the system.

Again, Its just something I read. So judge yourself or wait for someone else to answer (if they will)

If you can afford the 760 over the 750, go for the 760.

As someones who has been using nvidia cards for years, the rule with nvidia is the higher the 2nd number the better. For example a 680 would out perform a 750 or 760. You can check all the specs on nvidias website. The newer cards have less power consumption and better heat dissapation than the older cards, but if you can afford an 80series card, even a 680 or 580, i'd go with those.

Good Luck!

AMD FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz water cooled - 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz - 2 Geforce 480's 1.5GB each (non-sli) 2Seat SimPit - 8 Monitors - Saitek Gear -

Thanks guys this has all been useful and I've spent some time pondering and reading up.

As this is going to be a development not only in terms of pc bit other Hardware is highly probably that an expensive pc outlay now will be surpassed by better hardware in a relatively short timescale. So the key for me is up grad ability and cost.

So have decided to go with a socket 1150 i5 3.5Ghz processor with the ability to overvlock. Then should I decide to go to an i7 the socket 1150 will allow me to do so without needing a new mobo.

And gtx750ti should be plenty for fsx given fsx is cpu centric.

Either way it will be an improvement on my existing system.

Jon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I just finished an upgrade to my system. I went with the i5-4690K (I o/c to 4.1), the EVGA GTX 770 superclocked, and CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) which I have running at 2400.

FSX is very stable and smooth with max settings except for traffic. I have GEX, UTX, and Ultimate Alaska. If you like frame rates, I have mine locked at 60, and flying over Anchorage, AK (a real frame rate killer) I get ~35 FPS.

I did not mean to order the O/C GTX770, but Newegg had the order processed before I noticed my error. The 770 should be good-it's what I had intended to order.

My memory went to the 2400 when I activated XMP in the BIOS.

A lot of people say you have to have the i7-4790K, but I will violently disagree. This i5 is really doing the job.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't know if you've bought your hardware yet or not, but want to update my post. I have increased my CPU O/C to 4.3 and the computer is stable and FSX runs great, But I've monitored the CPU usage while flying around Anchorage with Ultimate Alaska installed (a real frame killer airport with tha added scenery). My framerate seems to stay around 25-30 but my CPU usage is staying around 97-99%, not much room left. I'd really like to find someone with the i7-4790K and Ultimate Alaska to make a comparison. Anyway, for now I'm happy.

No I haven't bought the hardware yet. Weighing up motherboard options then am good to go. By choosing socket 1150 I was giving myself a little flexibility should the i5 not be powerful enough. Also I'd like the option to overclock even if I choose not to do so.

Would be interested to know the comparison bergen the two though.

Thanks

Jon

FSX doesn't really begin to shine until you are over 4.0GHz. 4.4GHz+ desired.

Bite the bullet, and, grab the i7-4790K. 4.0GHz vs 3.5GHz, 8MB L2 vs 6MB.

It starts with half a GHz headstart and Turbos to 4.4GHz(hefty 4690K OC), box stock.

The easy OC range we've seen is 4.6-4.7GHz, if so desired.

Though FSX won't use it, you can leave HT on for the benefit of other apps.

Heavy overclocking will want HT off for best headroom...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

FSX doesn't really begin to shine until you are over 4.0GHz. 4.4GHz+ desired.

Bite the bullet, and, grab the i7-4790K. 4.0GHz vs 3.5GHz, 8MB L2 vs 6MB.

It starts with half a GHz headstart and Turbos to 4.4GHz(hefty 4690K OC), box stock.

The easy OC range we've seen is 4.6-4.7GHz, if so desired.

Though FSX won't use it, you can leave HT on for the benefit of other apps.

Heavy overclocking will want HT off for best headroom...Don

I went with the i5-4690 because I knew it would O/c easily to 4.3/4.4 and don't need the HT. Doesn't seem as though the 2 MB in the L2 would make much of a difference, Newegg has the i7-4790 for 289.99 today and that's probably as low as it's going to go ($50 off), but with the i5 only 2 months old is it really going to make that much of a difference? Does it make sense economically?

My point was: The i7-4790K Turbos to 4.4GHz without an OC. Intel spec.

The i5 is a great chip, and, does OC easily. The problem is the luck of the bin.

Some don't OC so well. Want guaranteed out of the box 4.4GHz? Go i7.

If you have a Micro Center within driving distance check 'em out. Their CPU prices are generally $20-$40 cheaper and they also offer some CPU/Mobo combos that can save up to an additional $40.

Economically, the bottom line would be: is the stock speed, additional cache, and extra OC headroom of the i7 worth it to Jon?...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about dilemma you guys have put me in ;-)

Ebuyer in the uk currently has g the i7-4790k for £257.85 vs i5-4690k at £188.57. I guess if stock speed is better then for the sake of £70 more... But I'm trying not to let the budget run away as I'm trying to trade performance vs cost here. I'm also trying to avoid wishing I'd spent that little bit more ;-)

I think you could be right Don. As much as the i5 performs well enough if stock speed of the i7 without overclockingb is as good as the i5 with oc then for straight out of the box the i7 could be the better choice.

Bout u good cases there guys, thanks.

Christmas is coming up when I will have some time to buy the bits and put it together.

Thanks

Jon

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

Thanks for everyones input. Its been a while but I've finally gone and bought the parts for my build. Hopefully I'll have got the spec right without going overboard. This is what I settled on in the end:

i7 4790k

Hypercooler EVO212 (just in case!)

Asus GTX960 Strix 2GB (was originally considering the 750 but noticed wired2fire spec'd GTX960s in their builds and wondered why....).. also didn't want the GFX to become a bottleneck

Asus Z97-A Mobo [reading it round it seems to have friendly oc'ing support sw)

8GB RAM

120GB SSD (for OS)

2TB 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda (for FSX)

Corsair 600W PSU (in case I fit 2nd GFX and also to allow sufficient headroom for oc'ing)

All in all, £892 for everything (case etc).

Down the line I may migrate FSX onto an SSD but I don't have an issue with load times on my existing PC so figured it wasn't really that necessary to bump the cost up with a dedicated FSX SSD.... some may tell me I'm wrong ;o)

Ultimately want to have three monitors for the forward view, with a seperate monitor for instruments and ultimately... a simpit! #

Anyway will keep you informed what I think to the performance of this new rig.

Jon

Archived