Last Mission

BillD22

In this series we see an iconic fighter in the final minutes of its last mission after many years and thousands of hours of service

A USAF F-4 "Phantom" cruises over the waters of the Gulf of Mexico off Tyndall AFB in Florida on a sunny tropical day - wait a minute - what's wrong with this picture?

q1.jpg

"Look ma - no hands!" There are no pilots

q2.jpg

The red/orange wing and tail flashing and painted out insignia tell us this is a remote controlled QF-4 drone target aircraft. QF-4s are used for live fire missile tests and to provide realistic targets for air to air combat training. In a few minutes our aircraft will be impacted by an air to air missile fired by a more up to date air force fighter and go spiraling down in flames to the water -a sad end to a proud bird - but a noble sacrifice. RIP "Phabulus Phantom"

q3.jpg

Hey you!! :mad: Can you tell your funny friends I have also red wingtips and even a red nose, and can you perhaps also tell them I'm NOT A TARGET PLANE!! Neither I'm remote controled! Yes? And also that it's NOT supposed to be my last mission? :mad: I'm a hard working and honest businessman you know!

York Arctic Wings.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's the way it goes. After a lifetime for faithful service some young dude wants to shoot you down. :) Nice pics. of the Phantom and an informative narrative. As for the red wingtips - anyone who wears them is in for a tough go of it. :D

Larry

That's the way it goes. After a lifetime for faithful service some young dude wants to shoot you down. :) Nice pics. of the Phantom and an informative narrative. As for the red wingtips - anyone who wears them is in for a tough go of it. :D

Ain't it the truth Larry!:( Thanks for the kind words

Hey you!! :mad: Can you tell your funny friends I have also red wingtips and even a red nose, and can you perhaps also tell them I'm NOT A TARGET PLANE!! Neither I'm remote controled! Yes? And also that it's NOT supposed to be my last mission? :mad: I'm a hard working and honest businessman you know!

Jan: If you plan to do any "honest business" flying in the Gulf I highly recommend that you lose the red wingtips!:D:D:D:D

Sad to see a bird I worked on for so long go the way of the Dodo...

I still have a paper photo of the 5000th Phantom made on my old "gouge book". Along with a perfect shot of a Phantom gone nose-high after weight-on-wheels switches clear, with the pilot already out and the RIO just leaving...A common problems the birds had from day one.

Anyway, thanx for the trip down Taxiway Memory :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived