The phone book glich

N33029

Gang,

Seeing over the instrument panel is always a problem, just try flying the 172 with the IFR configuration. I get about two inches of scenery looking forward. But even with the regular aircraft, I really have to use the spot plane or the map to get un-lost. I tried setting the zoom of the cockpit view to 0.50X, but it doesn't really seem to help, even when I pan down. Take a look at the photo on this website of two pilots shooting an approach into Meadowlark, L16, by [Ctrl]-F for "approach":

http://www.runyard.org/OPL/moms-opl-book/MEADOWLARK_AIRPORT-P3.HTML

The pilots are either basketball players or a real plane is easier to fly. Is this still a problem with the wide LCD screens they make for laptops now? I'd really like to hear any solutions from anyone to make this aspect of doing what we love better.

Thanks,

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

Shift+Enter adds a phone book (twice for 2 phone books, etc.), Shift+Backspace removes one and spacebar returns you to the default view. That pic was taken from the rear seat so probably a little better view than what the pilot actually had. The whole idea of the IFR panel is that you can't see where you're going!

For FS9 there was a neat trick you could do in the FS9.cfg:

[CONTROLS]

pan_in_cockpit_mode=1

...then in 2D panel mode you could press the W key until all panels go away and then pan around unobstructed with the hat switch. Spacebar or numpad decimal/DEL sets the view straight forward again.

Numpad 7, 4, 1 give you a momentary look out the left, numpad 9,6,3 give you a momentary look out the right (as if you were seated on the 5 key).

Jim

You can also assign the 'add/subtract phonebook' commands to buttons on your joystick for ease of operation. It comes in handy when you need to adjust your view up or down quickly.

There are also a number of freeware add on Panels for the Default 172 in the File Library, some of which increase your view over the dashboard. They are easy to install,

if you're savvy doing such things.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1. There are any number of mini-panels you can download and install. Or, if you're up to it, you can make your own. I can paste in some screen caps of some I have made if you wish.

2. In the panel.cfg file, you can simply comment out the reference to the background bitmap, eg, like this for the standard 172:

// file=panel_background_640.bmp

// file_1024=panel_background_1024.bmp

This will make the instruments "float" in front of the scenery, so you can "look around" them. It's not great but it's very easy to do and will get you started pretty well instantly.

3. If your finances and man-cave and logistics are up to it, you can get a second monitor. Have one as the forward - view - only, and the second as "other stuff" - panels, gps, outside view, etc. Many other configurations of two monitors are of course possible.

Steve from Mudgee.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Archived