Improving realism and flight dynamics of Prepar3d?

WK95

Does Lockheed Martin have any places to change the flight dynamics of Prepar3d which is based on FSX so as to improve realism in aircraft handling? From what I know so far, it seems that they are focusing largely on improving visual performance and that they are targeting a more serious market than FSX.

Right now, it seems Lockheed Martin is just taking FSX and making it perform better and look nicer but does anyone know if they ahve any plans to improve flight dynamics and the like so as to make Prepar3d more suitable for training usage as is likely their intended market?

They have stated that the SDK is being revamped to allow developers much more latitude in programming flight dynamics. So it appears that it's up to the developers to create better flight models.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

They have already implemented many changes to allow the integration of external flight modelling. I don't think there are any plans to change the aircraft.cfg/.air file structure (which is a shame as FS2004 was superior to ESP/FSX in this respect) but Simconnect is undergoing revision with each and every version.

Don't forget, P3D is a platform, upon which the aftermarket builds. There is no intent or requirement to alter that which the aftermarket should, could and does supply. It is NOT - and is not intended to be - a standalone gaming system, although many simmers seem to think otherwise.

As a training platform it's a starting point, not a destination.

They have already implemented many changes to allow the integration of external flight modelling. I don't think there are any plans to change the aircraft.cfg/.air file structure (which is a shame as FS2004 was superior to ESP/FSX in this respect) but Simconnect is undergoing revision with each and every version.

Don't forget, P3D is a platform, upon which the aftermarket builds. There is no intent or requirement to alter that which the aftermarket should, could and does supply. It is NOT - and is not intended to be - a standalone gaming system, although many simmers seem to think otherwise.

Thanks for correcting a misconception I've had. I wrongly assumed that P3D was standalone and would be working without any external addons.

So would the only thing I can do to improve realism in flight and handling is to get better aircraft models?

Thanks for correcting a misconception I've had. I wrongly assumed that P3D was standalone and would be working without any external addons.

So would the only thing I can do to improve realism in flight and handling is to get better aircraft models?

Yes.

Well put!

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Yes.

Would you say that this also applies to x-plane which many people contend is more realistic but really, that is just due to better flight models?

Sorry, I'm rather new to flightsims so i don't know too much about them yet.

Would you say that this also applies to x-plane which many people contend is more realistic but really, that is just due to better flight models?

Sorry, I'm rather new to flightsims so i don't know too much about them yet.

I don't know who those 'people' are, or how they came by their conclusions, but X-Plane is worse for flight models for most aircraft, most of the time. Again, it's the aftermarket that makes it work, not the raw platform.

However, X-Plane is available to you as a simmer as an entertainment product; P3D is not - please study the various EULA's for the various versions of P3D.

We will not advise you, only you can decide if you meet the criterion. See the EULA topic at the top of this forum. I suspect this may inform your decision making more than advice we give. As will the 60 day money-back guarantee. X-Plane doesn't offer similar but does offer a free demo, so perhaps take advantage of that.

My question to you therefore is, how would you recognise a 'better' flight model if you found it? Just how much and how varied is your experience in real-world flying? Do you actually know how a Cessna 172 flies? A Dash 8 400? 737? Spitfire?

If you don't then frankly, your enquiry is moot. You would be better off spending the money on a trial flight in a real aircraft. That alone may inform your decision better than any waffle on a sim forum.

One thing that you

Archived