Strange Tow Plane Behaviour In FSX Tutorial No. 7

JakeTheAviator

So, I have recently got a joystick to play FSX with, and it is amazing. (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!) I have done every single tutorial up to 7, and now I tried to do the Glider Tutorial. But, I have a problem. When I do Ctrl+Shift+Y to call a tow plane up, the tow plane starts up its engine and all, and it moves a bit on the runway, then the nose of the plane just goes down onto the runway, stopping the tow plane (and my glider :() and the plane stays like that, unmoving. I tried calling in another tow plane, and same problem ensues. I tried it on Free Flight too, and I do not have this problem there, only on the tutorial. I also installed the Air Cadet Glider pack, which brings in a Schweizer glider and a Bellanca Scout Plane. When I brought it in, it changed the tow plane always used from the Maule Orion to the Bellanca. I am not sure if this is the cause of the problem, but it would be greatly appreciated if somebody could tell me how to fix this! Many thanks! ;)

I would say the add-on is causing you the issue.

I presume you'll only want to complete the tutorial once for the rewards it gives. Not sure of an actual fix, but I'd suggest uninstalling the add-on until you successfully complete the tutorial, then reinstall it (since it's not giving you issues otherwise).

Hi Jake,

After reading your post I decided to look into this. I couldn't imagine how an addon could interfere with the mission.

When I added the aircraft and looked at the files I noticed 2 problems.

The first was a changed title in the Scout:

Scout.JPG

This would account for the changed tow plane.

I next noticed a missing comma in the contact points section of the glider:

Glide.JPG

I'm not sure of what effect this would have, but I wanted to check it out prior to editing.

I started FSX and immediately saw this:

Title.JPG

I quit at this point. I couldn't figure out why you didn't get the error. The only thing I've come up with is the possibility that you have the Standard version of FSX which only uses the Maule as AI and doesn't generate the error. Anyway I quit at that point.

I still can't figure out why using the Scout as a tow plane would cause the problem you're having. The glider error should have no effect on the mission.

Jim F.

Thank you Tom, I shall try that later when I go on FSX. I hope it works.

I got the same problem, Jim, and I fixed it by putting a number in front of every title=Maule M7 260C, basically putting a number after each 'Maule M7 260C' in the CFG file, and a different number for each one.

Hi again,

I moved the Maule folder to the desktop and tried the mission. The Scout showed up when I requested the tow. It moved forward a short distance, nosed over and the slowly crept forward. Pretty much the same as described. I then substituted the contact point section from the Maule in the scout aircraft.cfg. Started the mission and the Scout immediately nosed over and didn't move. I restored the contact points and decided to throw caution to the winds. I edited the reference datum position as follows:

//reference_datum_position = 0, 0, 0

reference_datum_position = -1, 0, 0

I tried the mission and the scout started moving and after taxiing about 50 feet took off at about a 60 degree angle. The tow rope snapped and after a few gyrations the Scout slowly moved along the runway hanging from the prop. I next edited the values as follows:

//reference_datum_position = 0, 0, 0

reference_datum_position = -0.2, 0, 0

Can't leave it like this but at least I was able to get airborne and complete the mission.

Jim F.

Hi Jake,

I'm not speaking from personal experience but it sounds like a UAC (User Access Control) problem. I've seen it recommended to move the file to the desktop, edit it there, and then move it back into the aircraft folder. I could provide more info and I will if you'd like but try this first.

Jim F.

To edit a file, you have to set permissions. Click your way back to the cfg file and right click it then select properties. Select security and then edit. Select your user name and look in the permissions for users box. Check the allow full control box then apply. Hit ok and the box should disappear. Now you should be able to go back to the file and edit it all you want. I have to do this to every aircraft cfg file when I want to add liveries. Do this to each FSX file you want to edit. You only have to do this once for each file. Hope this helps....On a side note I have my UAC set to full so I do see the warning come up to tell the computer yea I really want to do this then I proceed as written.

I found the info below during a search, I don't think it has a direct bearing on this thread topic but I'll post it for good measure-

CHANGING THE TOW PLANE

Open the "aircraft CFG" file for the Maule :-

under [fltsim.5] put a // in front of the line "title=Maule M7 260C" i.e.

[fltsim.5]

//title=Maule M7 260C

sim=Maule_M7_260C

model=

.....etc.

Open the "aircraft CFG" file for the Aircreation_582SL :-

under [fltsim.3] put a // in front of the line "title=Aircreation582SL" and underneath write in "title=Maule M7 260C" i.e.

[fltsim.3]

//title=Aircreation582SL

title=Maule M7 260C

sim=Aircreation_582SL

model=

.......etc

So now when you press Ctrl+Shift+Y the tow plane is now the Aircreations trike.

To undo simply reverse the procedure.

Hi,

I learned a lot here. After looking into this I found that using the Maule as the tow plane is hard coded into "Sim1.dll" and editing this is unrealistic. Thanks to Thomas Murr for providing a wealth of info regarding using the tow plane and providing a work around.

As Scat posted it's required to remark out the title line of [fltsim.5] of the Maule and then replace the Title line in another aircraft with "Maule M7 260C" to use it as the tow plane. It seems like the Scout folder contained in the Aircadetpackage had been modified this way but the needed info regarding the need to edit the Maule was not provided.

As a test I made the necessary edits to the default camouflaged DC-3 to use as a tow plane for a Waco glider:

2014-10-23_0-54-35-286.jpg

Worked just fine.

And Jake, I'm not sure why the Scout crashed after you edited it. My best guess is the weather. I know mine almost crashed but recovered enough to take off. And apparently the author of the the Aircadet package had no problems at all. I do recommend restoring the Maule titles to the original and only making the change Scat posted. Many user creayed missions use the Maule and if the specific variation is not found the mission will not work.

Jim F.

Archived