Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trying to install FS2004 on Windows 8.1...

1. Unhappy Trying to install FS2004 on Windows 8.1...

Hello, everyone...been trying to get FS2004 to work on Windows 8.1 for months with no success. I was just about to give up entirely when I read on another tread that if you install in a new folder (not the default one) that it should work. Well, I just tried that and I didn't even get to first base. The darn program won't even give me the option to install on a different location. Doesn't matter if I click the "custom" or "express" it automatically jumps to the default location of C:/Programs...etc, etc...

I've been running FS2004 on my old XP computer but that thing is about to die on me.

Is there ANYONE out there who can help? I feel like I'm the only one here who can't get this thing to work on Windows 8/8.1...Thanks for listening.
    Reginald
    Last edited by drobson; 09-04-2015 at 08:53 PM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mina's Man View Post
    Hello, everyone...been trying to get FS2004 to work on Windows 8.1 for months with no success. I was just about to give up entirely when I read on another tread that if you install in a new folder (not the default one) that it should work. Well, I just tried that and I didn't even get to first base. The darn program won't even give me the option to install on a different location. Doesn't matter if I click the "custom" or "express" it automatically jumps to the default location of C:/Programs...etc, etc...

I've been running FS2004 on my old XP computer but that thing is about to die on me. I bought it when Obama was first elected...it's seen better days.

Is there ANYONE out there who can help? I feel like I'm the only one here who can't get this thing to work on Windows 8/8.1...Thanks for listening.
    Reginald
    Any errors pop up during install? Or when first run? Obviously fs2004 runs in windows 8.1.

3. Default

Nope!!! No errors...

4. Default

Sorry but after grappling with this thing for 6 months I can honestly say it will not run on my machine. When I install using the express mode, the planes will not fly. And now that I try with the custom mode, that doesn't work at all. As I say, custom mode will not allow me to install to anything except the default location. Most depressing. Was thinking about jumping ship to X-Plane, but if I have a hardware issue, then a new sim will not solve the situation, only add to my frustration.

Don't throw in the towel just yet, Mina's Man...

I bet your troubles have to do with the 'Run as Administrator' issue with Win 7/8; it was never an issue with XP. Try these threads:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...ll+fs9+win+8.1

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...ll+fs9+windows

Maybe this will help you out.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen
    i5 M450 2.4/4GB RAM/ATI RADEON 5000HD 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

6. Default

Strange the OP has been unable to get FS to load and run in W8.
    A couple of weeks ago I bought a new PC (my old machine an 8 year old xp based system)
    So I had no experience of any other OSs.
    I installed fs9 into the default location and it ran perfectly well.
    After a week or so my initial joy at just getting FS installed plus copying over my backed up version to get back to my original state was getting somewhat tarnished by the rather paranoid excesses of 'admin rights.'
    Anyways I decided to create a new location for FS 9 outside the default programs folder (the final straw for me was trying to edit a panel cfg and admin rights even wouldn't allow that.)
    I named the new folder something like C:Fs9 copied the whole default located installation into and that runs without issue.Had to reinstall a few third party programs but basically no problems.
    My message to the OP is its probably something quite simple you are overlooking,but don't give up .
    FS definitely runs on 8.1
    I now have two copies of fs9 on windows 8.1 both run without problems (apart from admin rights excesses on the version in the default location)which of course I no longer have with the new folder location outside the programs folder.
    But BOTH worked so I hope this gives you some encouragement to continue.

Cheers Socks

7. Default

thanks Viper, I'll try these threads. Maybe they'll help ease my misery

8. Default

Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep working. In the meantime, it's back to the clunky XP which sometimes makes strange noises like an old Douglas DC-3 that's been dragged out of mothballs.

9. Default

Like so many others,I, too, am having problems FS9 and windows 8.1. My problem is that even though the software is loaded in and disc 4 is in the drive, nothing happens when I boot up FS 2004. Nothing. I copied the files from the C:MicrosoftGames/Flight simulator9 to a newly created folder elsewhere on the C: drive. It will not boot from the .exe file from either location.
    I understand that there are frustrations mentioned by others with crashing once booted up but I can't even get that far.
    My laptop has 8gb RAM, i5 processor and Intel HD graphics.
    Any ideas for me to get up and running?

Blairsville, GA ...formerly Dallas & Ft. Worth TX, Lafayette LA, Minneapolis, MN, Massillon, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Mina's Man View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep working. In the meantime, it's back to the clunky XP which sometimes makes strange noises like an old Douglas DC-3 that's been dragged out of mothballs.
    I'm still using XP ..... and I resemble that remark!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast