Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success with FSX & Windows 8.1

1. Default Success with FSX & Windows 8.1

Have seen (and experienced) the horror stories with FSX and Windows 8.1 Preview. I now have the RTM bits for Windows 8.1 (obtained early through my MSDN subscription) and have installed the OS version that should become generally available in October. FSX runs! Where I was kicked to the desktop in Win 8 preview, the RTM (ready to market) version does allow for game play. I have not added in any extras at this point...simply happy to see FSX working. I installed FSX to a separate directory on Drive C and access it by "Run in Administrator Mode"...just in case.

The future is looking brighter!

Dave

Glad to hear that!! I have Win 8 and it also works.

Windows 8 pro, Asus 8350 HD, AMD A8 5500 APU AT 3.20 GHZ, 12 GB RAM, 914 GB HDS

3. Default

RTM = Released To Manufacturing closest thing I can think of that's Ready to Market, is "Go-Live"

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alaskancrab View Post
    RTM = Released To Manufacturing closest thing I can think of that's Ready to Market, is "Go-Live"
    Yes! You are right on the acronym...sorry about that. I was excited to learn that FSX might actually work under Win 8.1 RTM...Oh...Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit (if this makes a difference). I was without FSX during beta testing with Win 8.1 Preview and am glad to be back! I do hope everyone who is currently frustrated gives 8.1 a try when it hits the streets in October.

And my understanding if you want Windows 8 as the "system builder/OEM or upgrade", you need to buy before 8.1 comes out official, as they will be discontinued and all you can buy is the full-up Win 8.1 pro.

scott s.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by islandwest View Post
    Yes! You are right on the acronym...sorry about that. I was excited to learn that FSX might actually work under Win 8.1 RTM...Oh...Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit (if this makes a difference). I was without FSX during beta testing with Win 8.1 Preview and am glad to be back! I do hope everyone who is currently frustrated gives 8.1 a try when it hits the streets in October.
    Yeah I upgraded too a day after it was available. Really enjoying the better multi monitor support but I wish there was a way I could snap to both screens, seems I can only do it for the two extremes. I would much rather have the Visual Studio style of doing things where you can choose exactly where you want it. Unfortunately my Ethernet drivers are bit buggy, guess I'll have to wait until General Availability for the update.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
    And my understanding if you want Windows 8 as the "system builder/OEM or upgrade", you need to buy before 8.1 comes out official, as they will be discontinued and all you can buy is the full-up Win 8.1 pro.

scott s.
    There's really no reason not to use 8.1 . It's just a polished version of 8 anyways.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alaskancrab View Post
    There's really no reason not to use 8.1 . It's just a polished version of 8 anyways.
    A word of caution - in my experiments and usage, I experienced some random FSX.exe application crashes (related to FSUIPC.DLL, v4.92) with the Windows 8.1 x64 RTM bits, via a fully clean installation. Contrast that with absolutely no crashes on Win8.0 or Win7.

While the crash seems to emanate from the fsuipc.dll library, there's no guaranteeing that that's the actual culprit. Alas, I had a CTD every other flight which was essentially unheard of prior to 8.1. Not willing to do much troubleshooting, I did return to Win7 and 100% stability has also returned.

Maybe fsuipc will need an update? Maybe it's a driver doing it? Maybe it's something else entirely. Whatever the root cause, Win 8.1 RTM and my MSFS experience didn't get along too terribly well. That said, 8.1 is a notable improvement over 8.0. I'd use it in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the FSX instability I experienced. Perhaps other intrepid users can get to the bottom of the hiccups I experienced. In time, I'd be happy to return to 8.1.

-Greg

9. Default

I'm not a computer guru but I wanted to post my long-lost fix. After upgrading to 8.1 FSX crashed every time I tried to create a free flight. I tried everything I could find on the net but nothing worked. I finally copied the crash report: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: fsx.exe
    Application Version: 10.0.61637.0
    Application Timestamp: 46fadb14
    Fault Module Name: atiumdag.dll
    Fault Module Version: 9.14.10.984
    Fault Module Timestamp: 522fc960
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00024c81
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033
    I searched for atiumdag.dll and found a thread that said to get new graphics drivers from the AMD site. I was hesitant because I've re-installed new drivers several times but after downloading and installing these new drivers, I FINALLY have FSX running right. I've been without for months and was so frustrated I almost bought a Win 8 disc to reformat. I know this is low-tech but I had to share because I've seen so many people with the same problem and no solution that worked for me but this one. Just my two cents for you folks.

10. Default

I'll just reply to say that I'm using Windows 8.1 64bit and FSX Acceleration installed in the Program Files (x86) folder and am not having any issues whatsoever. It's never crashed on me and I just installed REX4 TextureDirect with no problems and it's running smooth as silk.

I'm running it on a Dell Inspiron Laptop with a GeForce GT 650M inside. It's got a i7 core processor with Turboboost up to 3.4 Ghz and 8GB RAM.