Thread: FSX Settings Questions

1. Default FSX Settings Questions

I originally asked the below in another thread but then deleted it because it seemed a bit off topic. These questions arose based on info provided in other threads regarding setting up FSX. I'm running a Win7/64 system.

1. It was recommended to avoid the DX10 preview; what does the Direct X preview do (or not do) in FSX?
    2. It was recommended that Win7/64 users add uiautomation.dll for Vista into the root FSX directory --why?
    3. Would someone please explain what the Filtering setting does ( Bilinear, Trilinear, etc)? What is the recommended FSX Filtering setting?
    And finally...
    4. The Settings home screen allows you to save your settings setup, and I assume in addition to the graphics, scenery, WX, etc settings this also saves the mappings you have setup for the buttons and levers on your controller(s) wrt the FSX keyboard commands (under Settings/Controls/Buttons and Keys). So do most users save and load different setups ( different controller button assignments) for different a/c because of the different a/c systems ( e.g., fixed vs retractable gear, fixed vs constant speed prop, spoilers vs no spoilers, jet a/c vs piston a/c, etc)?
    Thx much,
    Al

Hi,
    You'd probably get better results by confining your post to a single question. Also, when you do this the "Similar Threads" listed may answer your question.
    As far as "4." is concerned I doubt that many people have multiple control configurations. I try to modify the aircraft to fit the controls if I can. For example, all of the default aircraft have the GPS on Panel 3 and I have a joystick button to bring the GPS up. If an aircraft has a GPS assigned differently I change the assignment to conform to the default.
    Jim F.

The preview mode crashes FSX. The DX11 which comes with Win7 works perfectly since FSX is actually a DX9 program and DX11 is fully backward compatible with DX9.
    The Vista version of UIAutomationCore.dll in Win7x64 adds stability, preventing crashes. When FSX was released, it was tested using the automation dll in Vista (Win7 didn't exist) so the one in Win7x64 is not fully compatible with FSX (make sure you follow instructions carefully.)

Filtering is based largely on the capability of your graphics card. Just as the tool tips read when you hold the mouse over the selections, the higher filtering you use (lower in the list) the more CPU power is required and basically adjusts how smoothy pixels blend into a less detailed background as distance increases.

You could have asked these same questions in your previous thread they would have been answered eventually.
    -Pv-

1) DX10 basically provides improved graphics and performance. To take full advantage of it you really need to go to Avsim where there is a dedicated forum for DX10. Members there have made great strides in completing what Microsoft started with the DX10 preview.

I would not mess with it until you have a stable FSX, then if you want to try it apply the Avsim patches. I personally like DX10 though there are still some issues with it and not all addon scenery and planes work with it.

2) The Win 7 version of uiautomationcore.dll can cause FSX to crash after repeated menu clicks. If you experience this you can place the Vista version in the root FSX folder, leaving the Win 7 version where it is, to resolve this specific issue. Note that there are two different versions and you may have to try them both to get the right one. One works for some people while others need the other version. Again, do not mess with it until you experience that specific crash.

3) Most every object in the sim is "painted" with textures. When the sim draws objects on your screen rarely do the pixels match up one to one between the textures and your screen. Filtering determines which method the sim uses to blend the pixels from the texture sheets to draw the object on the screen. Leave it on trilinear.

4) You certainly can save different setups if you wish, FSX allows this to be done. I cannot speak for most users, I do not have a bunch of different ones. For example, the prop controls used for a constant speed prop do nothing in a fixed pitch prop plane, so there is no need to not have them.

There is an addon called FSUIPC that is as close to a must-have as there is. It is free and many programs need it to communicate with FSX. If you choose to pay for the registered version you get many other capabilities including the option to set up plane-specific hardware profiles that automatically make settings changes for the plane you are flying.

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do?
    Farewell, my freind (sp)

5. Default

Thanks all for the info.
    I will look into using FSUIPC and how it might work with my Saitek controllers (yoke and pedals). I currently use the Saitek profile editor to assign controller buttons/levers to FSX commands.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by pvarn View Post
    The DX11 which comes with Win7 works perfectly since FSX is actually a DX9 program and DX11 is fully backward compatible with DX9.
    That's not the case. DirectX 11 does not include DirectX 9.0c which is what FSX requires. FSX itself installs DirectX 9.0c.

Quote Originally Posted by ark1320 View Post
    Thanks all for the info.
    I will look into using FSUIPC and how it might work with my Saitek controllers (yoke and pedals). I currently use the Saitek profile editor to assign controller buttons/levers to FSX commands.
    Al
    I use FSUIPC with my Saitek yoke, joystick, rudder pedals and for many keystroke commands. FSUIPC has many advantages over the FSX controls management section but you can choose to keep some controls running through FSX if you wish (I do still have a few keystrokes running through FSX but none of my buttons or axes). To fully utilize the capabilities of FSUIPC you will need to learn how to configure some things in the FSUIPC.ini file (in the Modules folder in the main Microsoft Flight Simulator fold, use Notepad to open).

I use FSUIPC instead of the Saitek software because the software creates the phantom key switch problem. You can use the 'Mode' switch but there is a little trick regarding re-naming a file in C:\Windows\System32 folder so FSUIPC 'sees' it (simple, one-time thing) and learning how to do contingency programming in FSUIPC.ini (not really all that hard and once you do it a couple of times you'll have it down). See the contents of the FSUIPC Documents folder - the User Guide, the Advanced User Guide and the List of FSX controls document.

Everyone has their own approach with how they set up FSUIPC - for the aircraft profiles my approach is to have basic setups - one for simple prop aircraft, one for complex prop aircraft and one for jets. Then I set up aircraft-specific profiles using the "Save based on ..." capability. That way I don't have to repeat the things that are common to the general category of aircraft but can do what I need for the specific aircraft configuration I want. Mostly this pertains to tuning control response through the Joystick calibration capability since for the most part the general profile takes care of the rest.

My favorite simple little FSUIPC thing - being able to configure a gear up switch separate from the gear down switch (I use one of the rocker switches on the Saitek throttle quadrant - rocker up = gear up, rocker down = gear down). Gets you away from the FSX gear toggle function - you know, you're on approach, near MAP, don't want to try to look around for the three greens but asking yourself 'did I put the gear down' but also thinking 'if I did and I hit the gear button again I will put the gear up'. Yea I know - GUMP. But sometimes you're just not sure.

It took me a while to move to FSUIPC but now can not imagine FSX without it. Take the time to really learn how to configure it and you'll be well rewarded.
    Last edited by FlyingHorseSindbad; 07-20-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Dan
    www.vfrprophops.com / www.ifrjethops.com
    Win 8, i7 3770 3.9 GHz, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GT630 2 GB mem 42" 1080p FSX w/Accell yoke joystick rudder pedals REX TrackIR-5 FlighSim Commander FSUIPC

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mgh View Post
    That's not the case. DirectX 11 does not include DirectX 9.0c which is what FSX requires. FSX itself installs DirectX 9.0c.
    Interesting. Makes we wonder why they included the DirectX10 check box in FSX in the first place. And since they went to the trouble to include it, why it doesn't work. It is what it is at this point, I guess.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by ark1320 View Post
    Interesting. Makes we wonder why they included the DirectX10 check box in FSX in the first place. And since they went to the trouble to include it, why it doesn't work. It is what it is at this point, I guess.
    Al
    It was always sold as an incomplete demo, a taste of what the future held.

The folks over at Avsim have made dramatic advances beyond what Microsoft gave us and have fixed many of the issues associated with DX10.

In some ways it looks better than DX9, in others, not so much. I do see a dramatic performance boost with DX10.

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do?
    Farewell, my freind (sp)

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHorseSindbad View Post
    It took me a while to move to FSUIPC but now can not imagine FSX without it. Take the time to really learn how to configure it and you'll be well rewarded.
    OK, based on the strong recommendations here and elsewhere, I purchased FSUIPC4. I haven't tried to do anything except install and register it, and am glad to see all my existing settings seem still to function as before. So at least I'm not grounded while I read the FSUICP instructions/guide/forum advice, etc and try to figure out what to do next.
    Again, thanks very much for the help,
    Al