Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draw Distance

1. Default Draw Distance

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to increase the draw distance of autogen?

I see video's on YouTube that look to have pretty good distance with trees, buildings and other objects coming into view rather than just suddenly appearing when at height. My system isn't the worst nor the best but overall I think it's a decent system to operate FSX on.

Any suggestions/ help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Adam

Settings | Display - Scenery Tab

Is your autogen density slider all the way to the right?
    Dan
    www.vfrprophops.com / www.ifrjethops.com
    Win 8, i7 3770 3.9 GHz, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GT630 2 GB mem 42" 1080p FSX w/Accell yoke joystick rudder pedals REX TrackIR-5 FlighSim Commander FSUIPC

Hi,
    I haven't checked this out but I've heard that some videos are recorded with the sim running at a decreased rate and then the video is sped up to normal. You may want to fly with the slower sim rate and see if the objects appear at a greater distance.
    Jim F.

You cannot change the distance that autogen is displayed at, only it's density.

Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
    You cannot change the distance that autogen is displayed at, only it's density.
    To what do you ascribe the difference in what he sees in videos as to what he experiences while flying?
    Jim F.

His system cannot keep up with the auto-gen. Many people think they have a "a decent system to operate FSX on", but they really don't or it's not set up properly.

Things always look different in a video then directly on an FSX machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jandjfrench View Post
    To what do you ascribe the difference in what he sees in videos as to what he experiences while flying?
    Jim F.
    Skillful editing.

Combining multiple images into one view.

I've seen some really great FSX videos - and most show tell tails of layering and other enhanced editing techniques. What can be done today with a $100 video editing program makes what we worked hundreds of hours to do with $100,000 systems in 1978-82 look like kids work.

My 8 and 10 year-old grandsons have produced videos on their DS which would have earned an A in a film school 30 years ago.
    Last edited by ReggieF5421; 06-27-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

To JSKorna,
    I'll try to get to the point. In your pronouncement "His system cannot keep up with the autogen.", in what way is this exhibited if not in the distance at which autogen objects appear? He didn't mention fewer objects nor have I noticed this either. I have noticed that objects seem to "pop up" at closer range, with certain aircraft, in dense scenery areas and under other conditions for which I assume greater processing power is needed.
    Jim F.

So then, I guess the answer is that he needs a more powerful computer.

10. Default

Edit fsx.cfg under [TERRAIN] section, try changing LOD_RADIUS= value to 6.500000
    This should extend area before terrain blurs and also autogen distance.
    Watch out for fsx changing value back to default 4.500000 if you use fsx display menu for other changes.
    If it has changed, re-edit fsx.cfg and restart fsx.